Triclavianism

Excel

But I spend a LOT of time contemplating topics of importance in religion. I don't post much about God in this forum because the religion trolls come out of the woodwork to ridicule every serious discussion on the topic. I truly feel sorry for them. But I don't think preaching from me, or from anyone else, would help much. If I thought people would listen with an open mind I'd be glad to share my experiences, and do what I can to point others in the right direction.

These religious threads serve multiple purposes. One is that it gives us a chance to tell people who push their beliefs on us that their belief system has holes in it. Second is that they allow us to dwell on our own beliefs and write about them, Third is that they allow for a cross pollinataion of ideas, where hopefully we can learn something.

Don't worry about the trolls, and just write what you believe and why.

Let's get down to the real topic tearing apart the Christian community. Not abortion, contraceptives, or gay marriage/clergy but Triclavianism. Was Christ pierced with three nails or four?

Remember that back in the 13th century Pope Innocent III declared that belief in the three nail theory was a heresy and its adherents were to be viewed as apostates of the church.

Discuss...

Not sure it really matters but if I has to guess I would say three I meant four. I watched a documnetary on the roman practice of crucifixion and they found a heel of man who was crucified around the time of Christ. The hole from the nail went throught that back of the heel and they believed that one nail was used for both of his each feet (foot).

Why does this matter so much? How does this affect the way you would perceive the events of the passion? What if they used just ropes to torture and hang Jesus does that somehow change someone's belief that he is our Lord and Savior? That would be crazy to me!! :ahhhhhhhh

Just using rope would put some holes in the theory of the stigmata. That might start affecting some peoples belief or at least make them curious about their relatively high gauze usage.

• Fire 1

Let's get down to the real topic tearing apart the Christian community. Not abortion, contraceptives, or gay marriage/clergy but Triclavianism. Was Christ pierced with three nails or four?

Remember that back in the 13th century Pope Innocent III declared that belief in the three nail theory was a heresy and its adherents were to be viewed as apostates of the church.

Discuss...

Not sure it really matters but if I has to guess I would say three I meant four. I watched a documnetary on the roman practice of crucifixion and they found a heel of man who was crucified around the time of Christ. The hole from the nail went throught that back of the heel and they believed that one nail was used for both of his each feet (foot).

Why does this matter so much? How does this affect the way you would perceive the events of the passion? What if they used just ropes to torture and hang Jesus does that somehow change someone's belief that he is our Lord and Savior? That would be crazy to me!! :ahhhhhhhh

Just using rope would put some holes in the theory of the stigmata. That might start affecting some peoples belief or at least make them curious about their relatively high gauze usage.

I really don't care if they hung him with dental floss. Too many Christians get hung up on such non issues. The crux of the issue is did Jesus (The Son of God) die on the cross for our sins, was Jesus put in a tomb for three days, did he rise again? Those are the real circumstances that everyone needs to wrap their minds around. If you believe all three you are a Christian, if not, you are not a Christian, everything else is just used to cloud this issue!! :thumbs

Discuss...

I'm not sure if you meant to--but that's actually pretty funny. Putting holes in the theory of the stigmata. +1 for the stigmata joke. :lol:

I'm not sure if you meant to--but that's actually pretty funny. Putting holes in the theory of the stigmata. +1 for the stigmata joke. :lol:

Well actually there was originally no pun intended. yes, of course, I intended the pun. It is much funnier that way now that you mention it.

On a separate note, when I first saw the thread title, I though triclavianism was a situation where 3 Cliff Clavin's were simultaneously patronizing the same bar.

I really don't care if they hung him with dental floss. Too many Christians get hung up on such non issues. The crux of the issue is did Jesus (The Son of God) die on the cross for our sins, was Jesus put in a tomb for three days, did he rise again? Those are the real circumstances that everyone needs to wrap their minds around. If you believe all three you are a Christian, if not, you are not a Christian, everything else is just used to cloud this issue!!

Sorry JR20, but you do not get to define whether or not I am a Christian.

Neither do "Doctors of the Church" who had never met Jesus.

I really don't care if they hung him with dental floss. Too many Christians get hung up on such non issues. The crux of the issue is did Jesus (The Son of God) die on the cross for our sins, was Jesus put in a tomb for three days, did he rise again? Those are the real circumstances that everyone needs to wrap their minds around. If you believe all three you are a Christian, if not, you are not a Christian, everything else is just used to cloud this issue!!

Sorry JR20, but you do not get to define whether or not I am a Christian.

Neither do "Doctors of the Church" who had never met Jesus.

You can define yourself however you wish but if a person does not meet the 3 criteria that JR posted, they are not a Christian no matter what they or you think. Those are 3 absolutes to being considered a Christian. I am a little confused as to what your post was supposed to convey.

You can define yourself however you wish but if a person does not meet the 3 criteria that JR posted, they are not a Christian no matter what they or you think. Those are 3 absolutes to being considered a Christian. I am a little confused as to what your post was supposed to convey.

That may exclude me from screwed up denominations, and I'm fine with that.

But to me if you ignore the teachings of Jesus (the Christ), you are not a Christian... no mater how many weekends you sit through a made up ritual for 45 minutes to an hour.

That may exclude me from screwed up denominations, and I'm fine with that.

But to me if you ignore the teachings of Jesus (the Christ), you are not a Christian... no mater how many weekends you sit through a made up ritual for 45 minutes to an hour.

Oh, I see. I read it the wrong way the first time. Sorry about that. This is certainly a valid opinion to hold. I would agree that there are many who claim to be Christian (and accept the 3 criteria) but do not act very Christlike. That is, after all, the biggest struggle for most Christians. I do not feel a person has to attend the weekly ritual to be a legitimate Christian. However, I do feel it can be very helpful for most but, in some cases, it may be detrimental depending on the message they are receiving. An example that comes to mind would be going to Rev. Wright's church every week and being exposed to a race message rather than the message of salvation and God's love. Sorry, had to take the cheap shot when the opportunity presented itself. Probably not very Christian of me.

Oh, I see. I read it the wrong way the first time. Sorry about that. This is certainly a valid opinion to hold. I would agree that there are many who claim to be Christian (and accept the 3 criteria) but do not act very Christlike. That is, after all, the biggest struggle for most Christians. I do not feel a person has to attend the weekly ritual to be a legitimate Christian. However, I do feel it can be very helpful for most but, in some cases, it may be detrimental depending on the message they are receiving. An example that comes to mind would be going to Rev. Wright's church every week and being exposed to a race message rather than the message of salvation and God's love. Sorry, had to take the cheap shot when the opportunity presented itself. Probably not very Christian of me.

Thank you for your understanding.

Even when I was a mainstream Christian (belonging to a large denomination) I yearned more for the teachings and parables of Jesus than the Last Supper ritual, or the teachings of Saint Paul, Saint Augustine or Saint Thomas.

Jesus taught a Gospel of compassion, especially toward the least amongst us.

Remember... in his last public appearance he criticized the money changers at the temple.

It seems as though the Pharisees and Sadducees were OK with him criticizing their religion, but when He threatened them in the wallet He was executed

Regarding Reverend Jeremiah Wright; he was a bit off on his AIDS rants (but not way off), but as far as I know he was correct in his criticisms of our foreign policy.

But politics should not be preached from the pulpit.

Thank you for your understanding.

Even when I was a mainstream Christian (belonging to a large denomination) I yearned more for the teachings and parables of Jesus than the Last Supper ritual, or the teachings of Saint Paul, Saint Augustine or Saint Thomas.

Jesus taught a Gospel of compassion, especially toward the least amongst us.

Remember... in his last public appearance he criticized the money changers at the temple.

It seems as though the Pharisees and Sadducees were OK with him criticizing their religion, but when He threatened them in the wallet He was executed

Regarding Reverend Jeremiah Wright; he was a bit off on his AIDS rants (but not way off), but as far as I know he was correct in his criticisms of our foreign policy.

But politics should not be preached from the pulpit.

Pretty good post, you are off with rev. wright though. :dis

Ha ha! I'm not worried. I may be indifferent to Triclavianism--to the point where I ridicule the issue. But I spend a LOT of time contemplating topics of importance in religion. I don't post much about God in this forum because the religion trolls come out of the woodwork to ridicule every serious discussion on the topic. I truly feel sorry for them. But I don't think preaching from me, or from anyone else, would help much. If I thought people would listen with an open mind I'd be glad to share my experiences, and do what I can to point others in the right direction.

I understand your hesitation on discussing these things. Most religion discussions (in general, not just this forum) between believers and non-believers usually boil down to:

"Where's your evidence?"

-

"I don't need evidence, I have faith".

Personally, I find the concept of relying on blind faith to make it to heaven a troubling one. If the Christian God is real, and He's really a benevolent, loving god why would he do that? Why would He make it so easy for it to rationally make sense that there is no god, then when we fall for it go, "sorry, now you have to suffer for all of eternity"?

I'd be more than happy to gain some of your insight on these matters.

• 4 weeks later...

Learn something new every day. I had never even heard of triclavianism. Then again I don't waste time praying to, being charitable, an indifferent "god" who needs heavy financing and is at best indifferent to the suffering of the "children" he "loves." There definitely is a god and he hates you, me, and everyone else. In reality he's a sick, twisted, prankster who just for kicks makes the good suffer while allowing the most evil and corrupt to prosper beyond imagination. Then at the end he'll unleash even more suffering, misery, and death on everyone even the good as punishment for the very wicked sins and actions that he allowed in the first place. Yeah that really sounds like a god who loves and cares. Think of it this way, does anyone as a person, care for an ant? Because essentially god cares for humans the same way humans cares for ants.

To be defined as a Christian the only thing you need to know the answer to is whether or not you've been regenerated via the power of the Holy Spirit. If you're not born again, you're not in the club :P The rest of that stuff takes care of itself once the Holy Spirit starts working.

To be defined as a Christian the only thing you need to know the answer to is whether or not you've been regenerated via the power of the Holy Spirit. If you're not born again, you're not in the club :P The rest of that stuff takes care of itself once the Holy Spirit starts working.

I'm pretty sure the only requirement of being Christian is to believe that Jesus Christ was the son of God. Not a single other thing is required, near as I can tell, and even the whole "died for your sins" part doesn't seem binding, since the "thief" crucified next to Jesus was promised to be with him in Heaven that day because he believed Jesus was the son of God - Jesus had not yet died, and promised the man everlasting life.