Pelini tweaking recruiting approach

Cliff's Notes version: Pelini recognized something wasn't working with recruiting so he has hired an outside firm to help evaluate talent and to teach the coaching staff how to more effectively recruit.

More details in the article. =)

I dont really agree with your view of the article. From a mental toughness aspect maybe, but not talent evaluation. Pelini says in his article that it will help them judge the mental aspect of recuits based on how they answer questions, making better use of their time spent with recruits, to judge how they will deal with adversity. I think they are trying to gain an edge in the mental department, getting kids that will work hard and be team players vs the big time athletes that, lets face it, we will always have trouble getting come to NU.

To say that they hired a firm to evaluate talent is saying Pelini doesnt know how to evaluate talent which is not true at all. He knows how to evaluate talent, the location of his football team is always going to be the limiting factor when it come to pulling those big time athletes. So he needs to find the "good" athletes with above average mental toughness that will come through when the game is on the line, and he wants help to better understand how to see that in kids earlier in the recruitng process. I think its good. Shows that he is NOT stubborn like everyone thinks he is and he is willing to learn better ways to assess his players, recruits.

• Fire 3

We can quibble over the choice of words I used if you want. "Evaluate talent" wasn't maybe the best phrase. I based that off of this paragraph:

"They're working to help us to not only ask the right questions, but teach us what to listen for when we ask the questions and get more insight in the limited amount of time we're with recruits," he said.

"The most important part of it is knowing what key words and what reactions to assess as you're asking the questions," he added.

However you want to verbalize that, the intent is to better understand who they're recruiting, and how they can help the team.

Every move that Bo is making just goes back to the "Pelini on a mission" article from a few weeks ago. It seems like Bo is doing everything possible to make any needed changes that he feels are necessary to get this team to the level it needs to be at to win championships. Just another reason why I continue to stay on the Bo Bandwagon.

Every move that Bo is making just goes back to the "Pelini on a mission" article from a few weeks ago. It seems like Bo is doing everything possible to make any needed changes that he feels are necessary to get this team to the level it needs to be at to win championships. Just another reason why I continue to stay on the Bo Bandwagon.

just too bad he didn't start a couple months ago w/ the defensive coordinator position :P

yeah, sounds more like a psychology/sociology type of approach. i could also see them coaching the coaches on their body language and other characteristics the recruits and their family might pick up on. just another tool the coaches can utilize.

While I applaud Bo on using all available tools......................I have to chuckle at the idea of Bo allowing some Ph.D type to coach him on "body language"........................

I recall a few instances where his body language was fairly obvious and I'll bet a few zebras do as well................

yeah, sounds more like a psychology/sociology type of approach. i could also see them coaching the coaches on their body language and other characteristics the recruits and their family might pick up on. just another tool the coaches can utilize.

While I applaud Bo on using all available tools......................I have to chuckle at the idea of Bo allowing some Ph.D type to coach him on "body language"........................

I recall a few instances where his body language was fairly obvious and I'll bet a few zebras do as well................

His gametime demeanor is improving. Have you read all of the comments that recruits have to say about Bo upon meeting him?

His gametime demeanor is improving. Have you read all of the comments that recruits have to say about Bo upon meeting him?

Trust me.............this was not a knock on Bo.............it was just ironic the juxtaposition of "Body Language" and Bo in the same sentence that is humorus..................