Here's ONE option for Husker Hoops....

Boehm (sp?) came with Pedey from Pitt didn't he......?? So he has been here 9 or 10 years.....?

As director of basketball operations, doesn't he deserve some of the attention for the disaster that IS Nebrasketball....??

(Not to even get into the whole ridiculous concept that the practice facility is not only NOT on campus; or adjacent to the new arena, but attached to what will become the Volleyball facility)

Since most everyone echoes the sentiment that Doc is a "good guy" and personable representative of the university and collegial with many around the country................

Why can't we send Boehm (sp?) packing and put in Doc as director of basketball operations? Save money on the buy-out and Doc can use his connections for scheduling, etc...........

Can't be any worse than the embarrassment we are witnessing now.............

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. I just don't see the conversation playing out well.

"Hey Doc, you're doing a really subpar job with the basketball team, so we don't really want you to be the coach anymore, but since you're such a nice guy, we would love to keep you around. Soooo we would just like you to jump over and be director of basketball operations instead."

Boehm (sp?) came with Pedey from Pitt didn't he......?? So he has been here 9 or 10 years.....?

As director of basketball operations, doesn't he deserve some of the attention for the disaster that IS Nebrasketball....??

(Not to even get into the whole ridiculous concept that the practice facility is not only NOT on campus; or adjacent to the new arena, but attached to what will become the Volleyball facility)

Since most everyone echoes the sentiment that Doc is a "good guy" and personable representative of the university and collegial with many around the country................

Why can't we send Boehm (sp?) packing and put in Doc as director of basketball operations? Save money on the buy-out and Doc can use his connections for scheduling, etc...........

Can't be any worse than the embarrassment we are witnessing now.............

Sure it can...if this lunacy is allowed to continue any longer...

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. I just don't see the conversation playing out well.

"Hey Doc, you're doing a really subpar job with the basketball team, so we don't really want you to be the coach anymore, but since you're such a nice guy, we would love to keep you around. Soooo we would just like you to jump over and be director of basketball operations instead."

Certainly an awkward conversation (even if framed as a "promotion"), but preferable to Doc than the simple conversation of "Hand in your keys"..............

Alternatively, IF T.O. REFUSES TO CAN THE DOCTOR...................

Solution #2 is to re-structure Doc's contract and pay him by the point......................(I'll bet that windshield wiper, slowdown, perimeter, molasses piece of dung offense we have been witnessing will quickly be replaced by some athletic fun and gun stuff)

People seem to think that just because Doc can't get a winning product on the floor, that he doesn't give a **** about Nebraska. This idea is pure, unadulterated derp.

If you want a coach that didn't give a crap, then let's discuss Barry Collier, and not Doc. Doc busted his ass to get this program up off the floor, and it's looking as if it will be a Herculean effort. Both the center downtown and the new Basketball sports complex were helped, in great part, because Doc went and shilled for them. He identified weaknesses in Nebraska's basketball program from an administrative and facilities standpoint, and helped the AD craft what was completed and is still in progress.

So no, it's not far-fetched to see Doc take an AD office roll with regards to basketball, and considering the enthusiasm he has for the sport and Nebraska (in spite of the personal attacks from 'certain' fans), it would be a disservice to him and our program to simply kick him to the curb with a check.

Now, would Doc take such a position? Don't know, but considering he has been an excellent ambassador and steward off the court, we should at least extend the courtesy. We're Nebraska, after all--not some low-rent SEC or Big XII school.

People seem to think that just because Doc can't get a winning product on the floor, that he doesn't give a **** about Nebraska. This idea is pure, unadulterated derp.

If you want a coach that didn't give a crap, then let's discuss Barry Collier, and not Doc. Doc busted his ass to get this program up off the floor, and it's looking as if it will be a Herculean effort. Both the center downtown and the new Basketball sports complex were helped, in great part, because Doc went and shilled for them. He identified weaknesses in Nebraska's basketball program from an administrative and facilities standpoint, and helped the AD craft what was completed and is still in progress.

So no, it's not far-fetched to see Doc take an AD office roll with regards to basketball, and considering the enthusiasm he has for the sport and Nebraska (in spite of the personal attacks from 'certain' fans), it would be a disservice to him and our program to simply kick him to the curb with a check.

Now, would Doc take such a position? Don't know, but considering he has been an excellent ambassador and steward off the court, we should at least extend the courtesy. We're Nebraska, after all--not some low-rent SEC or Big XII school.

I believe we are on the same page here............

You don't offer to help the program and the guy that just told you 'dude, you suck. we're firing you.' Doc will go work as an assistant for one of his pals, probably Billy. No BCS level HC of a men's team moves into the Ath Dept after being fired. (Had to put in the BCS/HC/Men's-team qualifiers or I'll get another ridiculous google search thrown in my face)

Being a coach at Nebraska is more than just a job. It's the way of life and we seen many time someone get embedded into the nice way of life here. I could see Doc staying for a job like that for the sake of keeping his family in this environment. It's all perspective. As much as we rip him in newspapers and on message boards, he surely knows more than anyone that we dont have anything personal against the guy. Same reasons I'm one that thinks Bo stays for many many years. Hell, he aint even been fired yet, and here we are spec'n ways to keep him around the university.

You don't offer to help the program and the guy that just told you 'dude, you suck. we're firing you.' Doc will go work as an assistant for one of his pals, probably Billy. No BCS level HC of a men's team moves into the Ath Dept after being fired. (Had to put in the BCS/HC/Men's-team qualifiers or I'll get another ridiculous google search thrown in my face)

I wondered if you'd be upset that people dare to have a differing opinion.

It's OK. We've had this discussion before and you obviously disagree. I don't take it that seriously. The difference in this thread vs the earlier one is I just added the Boehm component.

Believe it or not, a few people actually agree with me........in fact, it was a robust dialogue for about a dozen of us at the Devaney during the game Wednesday.

This is a DISCUSSSION board. Things get DISCUSSED.

(as for your disingenuous comment about having a ridiculous google search "thrown at you"..........that was merely a response to your incorrect assertion that it's NEVER happened)

Hope the rest of your day goes better.

GBR

I think Doc is a very good person and tries really hard at representing Nebraska the right way. I don't think it is entirely his coaching style that's hurting the program as much as only haveing so much to work with as far as money. I do think he needs to lay off the Foreigners a little bit and take a few more chance at some of the local talent, like Eikmeier who plays for Colorado st. If you take a few chances on "lower level" talent and score a few good ones we would have a nice mix of bust your ass mentality like a small town boy and the flash of the big time. JMO