Braylon Heard moving to DB for the Spring, possibly permanent

Braylon played running back as a true freshman so he'll be a sophomore in the fall. It typically takes a player a year for the light bulb to really turn on. That means he's essentially a juco with two years. Now he could redshirt and have three years but if he's switching positions to see the field then redshirting is counter-productive. I still don't understand why Bo can't recruit players for a position and then have them play the position they were recruited for.

:confucius

Braylon played running back as a true freshman so he'll be a sophomore in the fall. It typically takes a player a year for the light bulb to really turn on. That means he's essentially a juco with two years. Now he could redshirt and have three years but if he's switching positions to see the field then redshirting is counter-productive. I still don't understand why Bo can't recruit players for a position and then have them play the position they were recruited for.

:confucius

Maybe he is a better fit in the defensive backfield... as he did well there in highschool. This is also Braylons decision, not just Bo's.

He may see more PT at safety or corner then he would have at RB.

Lets see how this plays out.

I'm honestly getting tired of this crap. Why can't Bo recruit players for a specific position and then let them play the position they were recruited for in the first place? I don't see Alabama, LSU, USC or any other top school playing constant musical chairs with what positions kids will play and it's getting borderline f'ing ridiculous. How in the world is a kid supposed to get better and become excellent at one position when he's there for a season and switches?

I'd say for the vast majority of the players, he does let players play the position they were recruited for. So to say he can't do it is a bunch of fooey. Be gone with that nonsense. Also, I'd be surprised if he forces kids to switch positions. I'm more inclined to suspect it's something both the coaches and players agree is best for the player. You should be spewing the same amount of venom at Heard.

Slow your roll there single OG. No one is spewing any vemon here. I simply don't understand the musical chairs Bo plays every year especially in the secondary.

I'm honestly getting tired of this crap. Why can't Bo recruit players for a specific position and then let them play the position they were recruited for in the first place? I don't see Alabama, LSU, USC or any other top school playing constant musical chairs with what positions kids will play and it's getting borderline f'ing ridiculous. How in the world is a kid supposed to get better and become excellent at one position when he's there for a season and switches?

I'd say for the vast majority of the players, he does let players play the position they were recruited for. So to say he can't do it is a bunch of fooey. Be gone with that nonsense. Also, I'd be surprised if he forces kids to switch positions. I'm more inclined to suspect it's something both the coaches and players agree is best for the player. You should be spewing the same amount of venom at Heard.

Slow your roll there single OG. No one is spewing any vemon here. I simply don't understand the musical chairs Bo plays every year especially in the secondary.

It's simple.

1. Bo knows what it takes to be a successful secondary player in the sport of football.

2. He see's a kid who he thinks would be more successful there than at his current position, for various reasons.

3. Says, "hey, kid, wanna give this a shot?"

4. The kid deliberates

5. The kid says yes or no, and they go from there.

It's simple.

1. Bo knows what it takes to be a successful secondary player in the sport of football.

2. He see's a kid who he thinks would be more successful there than at his current position, for various reasons.

4. The kid deliberates

Or......

1. Bo recruits kick ass RB out of high school.

2. Kid plays RB for Nebraska.

3. Kid kicks ass at RB for Nebraska.

4. Kid gets national attention for being a kick ass RB.

5. Kid gets drafted into NFL to play position he's been playing his whole life.....RB.

6. Kid kicks ass in NFL at RB.

7. Other kids see Bo playing kids at position they played in High School and making them Pros at that position.

8. Kid wants to come to Nebraska, not to rotate positions for a career, but to become great at one position.

• Fire 1

Braylon may be great at DB. He may have maximized his potential at RB. I hope Bo is finding the best way to maximize these young mens skills. Nobody who saw Marcus Mendoza play could give me any legitimate reason why the guy shouldn't have been on the field. He was a hell of an athlete, speed to burn, and aside from any underlying reason I do not know, he should have been on the field.

He is not the only example of players spending their careers in position rotation. I trust Bo to find the right spot for these guys, but to pretend Bo doesn't make mistakes is boneheaded. He has made mistakes, and will continue to make mistakes. Switching positions is a tough thing to do, and even the best coaches don't always nail it. You just plain don't have a lot of time with these young men. That's why it is much easier to spend a year or two scouting and recruiting your needs, and plugging in players at the positions you desire. That gives you far more time to get a feel of their overall skills and strengths. By the time most of these kids reach division one football, it should be pretty clear to just about everyone what they are best suited for.

It should be................now if we f'd up and played Braylon at RB last year when he clearly should have been recruited and studying for a DB job, well then you could equally say that was a ******** on the staffs part.

• Fire 1

It's simple.

4. The kid deliberates

Or......

1. Bo recruits kick ass RB out of high school.

2. Kid plays RB for Nebraska.

3. Kid kicks ass at RB for Nebraska.

4. Kid gets national attention for being a kick ass RB.

5. Kid gets drafted into NFL to play position he's been playing his whole life.....RB.

6. Kid kicks ass in NFL at RB.

7. Other kids see Bo playing kids at position they played in High School and making them Pros at that position.

8. Kid wants to come to Nebraska, not to rotate positions for a career, but to become great at one position.

I believe that kid's name is Rex Burkhead. At least, I hope he kicks ass in the NFL.

• Fire 1

Let's see, Cassidy, Thorell, Blatchford? Seems that Bo and Co realize we need an infusion of talent back there and is doing what he can. Get athletes back there who can cover and hit. When we go to the nickel or dime, we might actually have some great athletes back there. Kind of like 2009 and 2010.

Also plays into how Joseph coached at UT. One starting safety and rotated a lot of us into DB positions.

I can't bring myself to +1 a comment made by the dude. I will second that opinion one hundred percent though. Whether the NFL recognizes it or not, the guy could be great at the next level if given the chance. I just hope my Broncos and John Fox are the team that does it. Rex could carry the load in a John Fox offense perfectly.

• Fire 1

It seems to have worked out for Kerry Meier down at Kansas, now a WR with the Falcons (recruited as a QB at KU).

It seemed to work out for Cody Glenn recently, and Tony Veland back in the day, here at Nebraska.