Braylon Heard moving to DB for the Spring, possibly permanent

I'm honestly getting tired of this crap. Why can't Bo recruit players for a specific position and then let them play the position they were recruited for in the first place? I don't see Alabama, LSU, USC or any other top school playing constant musical chairs with what positions kids will play and it's getting borderline f'ing ridiculous. How in the world is a kid supposed to get better and become excellent at one position when he's there for a season and switches?

It seems to have worked out for Kerry Meier down at Kansas, now a WR with the Falcons (recruited as a QB at KU).

It seemed to work out for Cody Glenn recently, and Tony Veland back in the day, here at Nebraska.

I'm honestly getting tired of this crap. Why can't Bo recruit players for a specific position and then let them play the position they were recruited for in the first place? I don't see Alabama, LSU, USC or any other top school playing constant musical chairs with what positions kids will play and it's getting borderline f'ing ridiculous. How in the world is a kid supposed to get better and become excellent at one position when he's there for a season and switches?

It seems to have worked out for Kerry Meier down at Kansas, now a WR with the Falcons (recruited as a QB at KU).

It seemed to work out for Cody Glenn recently, and Tony Veland back in the day, here at Nebraska.

It actually works for quite a few people. Athletes that have some versatality and can do multiple things are great to have. Braylon is seemingly one of them. I think this is a good move --- as far as I can tell --- if Braylon is up for it and excited and thinks that this is the fastest way to see the field... then great.

I always feel somewhat bad when a kid changes positions, but it can often be for the better (see Amukamara). I hope it works out for him and he makes some honest contributions to the team.

except he never switched positions, hence the reason why DB likely worked out well for him.

I don't know the exact timetable of his position switch, but he was a running back before he was a defensive back. In fact, he was recruited to Nebraska as an athlete, not DB.

I always feel somewhat bad when a kid changes positions, but it can often be for the better (see Amukamara). I hope it works out for him and he makes some honest contributions to the team.

except he never switched positions, hence the reason why DB likely worked out well for him.

I don't know the exact timetable of his position switch, but he was a running back before he was a defensive back. In fact, he was recruited to Nebraska as an athlete, not DB.

Read through his recruiting thread - by about the 5th post people are already talking about how much they wanted to see him at RB but think he can make a big impact at DB. The timetable of his position switch is that he never switched positions. He was recruited as a DB, started there and finished there....despite what we read constantly on Huskerboard.

2007 (Freshman)

Amukamara played for Nebraska as a true freshman, serving in a reserve role in the secondary, while also providing standout special teams play. He did not play in the first three games, but appeared in eight of the final nine games. He totaled four tackles, including two against Kansas State.

Ahh, ok. I didn't know. Thanks for the info.

Edit - He was a very successful running back in high school, especially in his senior season, which is probably where I got it from.

Yeah, he likely could have been one hell of a running back here - or even a wide receiver. guy was just a stud athlete all around. I think that's the point most miss...Bo recruits a lot of athletes, because they can be successful in a number of positions. (a lot of coaches do) He doesn't always need to identify their position from Day 1...it's better to evaluate them in a Husker uniform than it is through tape and watching HS games against lesser competition. Sometimes they move (Turner), other times they don't (Amukamara). I don't see much wrong with it...as long as the move is done early. As in Braylon's case, I think he should be fine. I think a guy like Cody Glenn got really lucky though - that kind of quick success late in a career doesn't happen very often.

With the way our defense performed last season, I'm all for any kind of boost that a player can bring to the table. Like kchusker_chris mentioned....better done early in a player's career than to switch at the last moment. I'm not saying that our defense is going to improve by leaps and bounds but I'm very happy to see what kind of talent we will be playing this season and with CJ coming into the mix is great!

It actually works for quite a few people. Athletes that have some versatality and can do multiple things are great to have. Braylon is seemingly one of them. I think this is a good move --- as far as I can tell --- if Braylon is up for it and excited and thinks that this is the fastest way to see the field... then great.

I don't necessarily disagree but it just gets to the point where I'd like to see Bo actually recruit quality CBs instead of constantly trying to find S, WR and RBs who might be able to play CB, which is what he does presently.

I don't necessarily disagree but it just gets to the point where I'd like to see Bo actually recruit quality CBs instead of constantly trying to find S, WR and RBs who might be able to play CB, which is what he does presently.

I see what you're saying. Only problem is in HS football, an elite player is usually going to play both ways. Just because rivals says they are an 'athlete' or a 'wr' or a 'dual threat qb' in HS doesn't mean that's where they project at this level. As long as Bo isn't bringing in JUCO wide receivers with limited eligibility left, running them through a year or so at WR - then make a desperate hail-mary switch mid season only to watch them ride the pine the rest of the season (and likely their career) I don't have a problem w/ it. (oh wait...) :P

I see what you're saying. Only problem is in HS football, an elite player is usually going to play both ways. Just because rivals says they are an 'athlete' or a 'wr' or a 'dual threat qb' in HS doesn't mean that's where they project at this level. As long as Bo isn't bringing in JUCO wide receivers with limited eligibility left, running them through a year or so at WR - then make a desperate hail-mary switch mid season only to watch them ride the pine the rest of the season (and likely their career) I don't have a problem w/ it. (oh wait...) :P

And this said JUCO player did pick off a pass that lead to a game-winning drive. More than anything he ever did at receiver. Just sayin'

I don't understand this line of thinking. SJB was likely to ride the pine at WR anyways, how is trying to get the guy on the field a problem in any way?

I don't understand this line of thinking. SJB was likely to ride the pine at WR anyways, how is trying to get the guy on the field a problem in any way?

Do you realize how long it takes to update my NCAA 2012 rosters on my PS3?

• Fire 1

And this said JUCO player did pick off a pass that lead to a game-winning drive. More than anything he ever did at receiver. Just sayin'

This was more tongue-in-cheek than anything...calm urself. But, it is quite possible that will be the highlight of his career here. Just sayin'

This was more tongue-in-cheek than anything...calm urself. But, it is quite possible that will be the highlight of his career here. Just sayin'

You say tongue-in-cheek, yet you use the emoticon that is sticking his tongue out. You are sending mixed signals. :D

I AGREE 100%.....