Bo expecting a 'big jump' on defense

LINCOLN — Maybe it was the morning start. Or the home crowd.

But it sure looked like a turning point for coach Bo Pelini and his Nebraska defense last year, the 24-3 smothering of Kirk Cousins and Michigan State in late October.

Defensive backs clung to Spartan receivers. NU's two safeties shut off any hope of the deep pass, while its linebackers slowed the power run. The Huskers' "walkaround" pass rush confused and bullied Cousins.

Nebraska gave up just 187 total yards and resembled the make-life-miserable Blackshirts of 2009 and 2010.

"That's what's so impressive about Nebraska's defense," said ESPN analyst Urban Meyer — now Ohio State's coach — during the TV broadcast. "They've had about three or four calls all day. They're running the same defense on every snap. It's like they're so well-prepared for Michigan State's offense. You can see it."

But NU coaches, players and fans never really saw that complete dominance before or after that game.

"I thought we were inconsistent and young, and we played that way," Pelini said eight days before the start of the Huskers' 2012 spring football practice.

Continue Reading

IIRC, the same season against NW, players spoke of the same thing. The failure to watch film and prepare. That has got to change. Each game is important. Sadly, in the world of College football, a single loss can ruin any hope for a conference or MNC run. I think this is what Bo is trying to drive home. Every play, every snap, every series and every game counts. A LOT. NU can not afford to take one off.

I agree we need more speed on D or at least be able to collapse the pocket. I can live with a controlled pass rush as long as we collapse the pocket in 3 seconds or pressure the QB to get rid of it. I also want more speed in the secondary. We got beat deep too many times, which given Bo's philosophy that should not happen!!!!

ughhhh... enjoyed the usual offseason sunshines and rainbows attitude by the team, but hearing we're not changing the scheme at all kind of makes me think we won't see much of a change in our pass rush next year.

Looks like it's another year of patticake BS.

Agreed. I'm not fan of the scheme. Yes, last year it worked wonderfully against predominantly pocket passers, but really struggled with true dual-threat QBs. I miss '03 when Bo consistently had Demorrio Williams come off the end and used a lot of disguised blitzes. I keep wondering if Bo changed his D philosophy (dual threat QBs existed in '03) or if he feels (despite what he may say publicly) that he doesn't have the necessary speed to unleash the rush scheme.

Sophomore Braylon Heard is moving to cornerback, Papuchis said, because of his "great hips" and "great feet" in an effort to "get our best 11 athletes on the field." :thumbs

That is what I saw as well. Haag and Gomes like DB's come to mind. Would also love to see Cooper/SJB/Osbourne in a Super D role. IIRC, Super D was between 215-225 lbs when he unleashed havoc in 2003. Mobile QB' s are a threat. A lot of teams have them. NOt a lot have someone who can come off the edge like Super D. Heard moving is giving up a lot of speed and mobility back there.

I also think that it might be a more PC comment about or talent level back there last year (ie Raymond's comments)

Sophomore Braylon Heard is moving to cornerback, Papuchis said, because of his "great hips" and "great feet" in an effort to "get our best 11 athletes on the field." :thumbs

That is what I saw as well. Haag and Gomes like DB's come to mind. Would also love to see Cooper/SJB/Osbourne in a Super D role. IIRC, Super D was between 215-225 lbs when he unleashed havoc in 2003. Mobile QB' s are a threat. A lot of teams have them. NOt a lot have someone who can come off the edge like Super D. Heard moving is giving up a lot of speed and mobility back there.

I also think that it might be a more PC comment about or talent level back there last year (ie Raymond's comments)

great feet and great hips help, but you have to learn the postion and make the right reads..........koolaide anyone?

great feet and great hips help, but you have to learn the postion and make the right reads..........koolaide anyone?

Sadly, it os the old arguement..........Is it better to have a really heady/smart kid back there with less athleticism who is "in the right spot" and "makes the right reads" but lacks the athletic ability to make the plays or a really athletic kid who misses reads and assignments, but has a nose for the ball and an ability to make the play even if blown?

Bo's D is also predicated on every single guuy making the right read and assignments. It is probably simple (his words) once everyone knows their assignment. It works if the player trusts the guy next to him to make the play. If LB thinks CB might miss the read and cheats to cover the flat, the LB gets beat or the saefty creeps to help in run and gets burnt over the top.

I would prefer a proactive attacking D that makes use of our "speed" than one that a guys needs to be in for several yrs to be effective. I keep looking at what Bo did in 2003 (we lost some blowoouts), but he accomplished quite a bit on the defensive side, in a short amount of time with kids other folks recruited.

Sadly, it os the old arguement..........Is it better to have a really heady/smart kid back there with less athleticism who is "in the right spot" and "makes the right reads" but lacks the athletic ability to make the plays or a really athletic kid who misses reads and assignments, but has a nose for the ball and an ability to make the play even if blown?

Bo's D is also predicated on every single guuy making the right read and assignments. It is probably simple (his words) once everyone knows their assignment. It works if the player trusts the guy next to him to make the play. If LB thinks CB might miss the read and cheats to cover the flat, the LB gets beat or the saefty creeps to help in run and gets burnt over the top.

I would prefer a proactive attacking D that makes use of our "speed" than one that a guys needs to be in for several yrs to be effective. I keep looking at what Bo did in 2003 (we lost some blowoouts), but he accomplished quite a bit on the defensive side, in a short amount of time with kids other folks recruited.

for whatever reason, it appears his defensive philosophy has changed........attacking defenses can be risky, but laying back with no pass rush is a bad deal too.

i dunno, maybe personnel changes will make a difference, but his basic D sounds the same as last year......hope for some variations.