What will change, hopefully change, or stay the same with the 2012 offense?

We have one year of Beck's offense to analyze and diagnose. We have a lot of film showing what we liked, what we didn't like and what we need to improve on. What do my Husker brethren think will change, hope will change, or stay the same about Beck's offense in 2012? Keep in mind that this is the first time Martinez, and several other players, will be playing in the same offense two years in a row. There's a lot of room for potential and growth.

I'm not looking for so much as 'Well, I hope we find someone to play tackle.", as much as "I hope our offense does more of X as opposed to Y." Either is fine, though, if you believe it pertains.

Personally, I hope we see our offense better tailored to fit Martinez' strengths, or at least the strengths I think he has. The passing game is what it is with him, but I think we can more effectively utilize his running skills. For example, I don't think Martinez has the agility to run traditional option. He's too close to the line, doesn't have that great lateral movement, and didn't make correct reads very often last year. However, when he's back in the shotgun with more room to spare, his running skills and read skills seemed significantly better. I hope we see less traditional option and more shotgun option.

I would like to have a serviceable back up in Carnes or another QB. This will push Martinez and also alow Martinez to play to his strengths.

I would like to see our passing game be short routes (7-8 yrds). These are statistically his best throws. Use the long ball to keep the D honest and try to force the safeties out of the box.

Ditch the "true option" and go with the belly G. I really think the zone read would work with Martinez ala 2010.

Get the ball to the play makers even if it means certain packages for certain players ie JT, Reed etc......

I would also like to see more of the diamond, heavy RB sets ie Rex, AA and Marlow.

More use of the FB to punish the D line.

More misdirection with the speed shown by JT, Bell etc.......

More play action to really make the D's pay for over pursuit and stacking the box.

Nothing will work unless we can find a way to get the D out of the box. Short bubble screens, jail break screens etc will help. we need more.

I'd like to see a return of the zone-read (not just one play a game). When healthy, Tmart was lethal with it. We have talented backup qbs now and hopefully some young road graders clocking in for the OLine so I hope Beck goes for it. No need for the slides this year either.

If we get that going, Bell/Turner/Reed/etc are going to WIDE-WIDE OPEN almost every play (just like the TO days). Let their defense pick its poison.

More zone read. I don't mind the option, but Taylor's reads MUST get better. Agree about misdirection, it can be lethal with the speed we have. More PA will be welcome, especially on early downs. More AA and AG. More Reed and Cotton. Diamond formation. So many other things that I feel the O is capable of.

I would like to see a lot of the diamond formation. I know. dedhoarse But seriously, it seems that whenever this formation was utilized it produced. It just creates so many options and matchup problems, not to mention the multiplicity of possible changes at the line of scrimmage without showing your hand. I know a lot of last year was experimenting for Beck in trying to find the right combinations with so many young players and a new offense. I think this year we'll see a lot more of a focus on certain aspects that we know are/will be successful, and hopefully the diamond becomes one of those mainstays.

Use the FB.

Use Ben Cotton cause the guy is good, but also find a way to use Kyler Reed as well. Some twin TE sets maybe.

Find ways to use the speed we have on the outside with Kenny Bell and Jamal Turner. Trip Wides sets would be fun to see with Kenny, Enunwa, and Turner out there.

Taylor please don't let me down this year. This team can be good, it's really up to you how good it gets. Brion, if you end up getting the job at some point, show the people what the hell I been preachin' about for a year now. Either way, as long as we are winning games and this offense is moving the ball, I'll be happy no matter who QB is. But if it's failing, I hope the coaches have the guts to make the switch.

Rex, get some love from the nation, but don't carry the ball as much as last year. That man deserves to be recognized by the whole country, not just the Husker nation. Maybe less carries, but more yards. I only say less carries cause I sure felt bad for your legs sometimes last year.

Nothing against Caputo, but a dominant Center! A bulldog up front.....A Ryne Reeves perhaps. Pensick possibly. Somebody who knows the calls and is gonna set the tone for this group up front.

I would love to see more screen passes. That was one thing (that the coach that shall not be named) ran pretty well. I also agree with the people that said the play action would be a great addition. there are so many easy throws that could help TM get some confidence early in the game. A simple one or two route combo, and if nothing is open, tuck and run.

I would like to see a lot of the diamond formation. I know. dedhoarse But seriously, it seems that whenever this formation was utilized it produced. It just creates so many options and matchup problems, not to mention the multiplicity of possible changes at the line of scrimmage without showing your hand. I know a lot of last year was experimenting for Beck in trying to find the right combinations with so many young players and a new offense. I think this year we'll see a lot more of a focus on certain aspects that we know are/will be successful, and hopefully the diamond becomes one of those mainstays.

THIS^^^

In addition, I say keep the creativity as long as it doesn't make the offense too cutesy. Beck seemed to do a good job last year.

I agree, more zone read.

I still want us to run true option just as much or more than last year, though. Taylor was finally making really good timed pitches toward the end of the season. Let's progress upon that.

Keep the ball in Rex's hands unless somebody proves they can do a good job, which I have faith that AA or Aaron Green will emerge and get more carries this year.

Receivers.... Catch the ball EVERY time it hits your hands! Okay, that's asking a lot. Each WR is allowed only 1 drop in the season.

Stay strong on the run game. I don't care if we run it 70% of the time. If it works, keep it on the ground. Dominate the opposing team at the LOS and eat up yards and time. Then keep them honest with the occasional play action pass.

THIS^^^

In addition, I say keep the creativity as long as it doesn't make the offense too cutesy. Beck seemed to do a good job last year.

I agree, more zone read.

I still want us to run true option just as much or more than last year, though. Taylor was finally making really good timed pitches toward the end of the season. Let's progress upon that.

Keep the ball in Rex's hands unless somebody proves they can do a good job, which I have faith that AA or Aaron Green will emerge and get more carries this year.

Receivers.... Catch the ball EVERY time it hits your hands! Okay, that's asking a lot. Each WR is allowed only 1 drop in the season.

Stay strong on the run game. I don't care if we run it 70% of the time. If it works, keep it on the ground. Dominate the opposing team at the LOS and eat up yards and time. Then keep them honest with the occasional play action pass.

Amen brother. TO used to run the ball up to around 80% of the time and all that did was win us boatloads of games, conference championships & national titles.

Run the ball, stop the run......win the game.

As far as our wrs, only 5 drops allowed each for all year.