Perlman: Ron Brown's comments do not represent NU

How hard would it have been for Coach Brown to say my following statement doesn't reflect the University of Nebraska and only a personal belief before he started? then he would have avoided all this mess.

It would not have mattered. So many people just wanna bitch for the sake bitching. Whatever. This issue makes me sick. I'm so sick of hearing about it. The world is tough and I'm sick of all this nanny state "let's make everyone feel good" crap. I'm a fat piece of crap, where are my special rights and the laws that say you cant make fun of my weight, or the law that says i cant get cut from the basketball team becasue i'm too slow. You see where this crap is going. As an employer or business owner, I have the right used to have the right to employ whoever I want or serve whoever I want regardless of race, religion, sexual choices etc. If you dont want to reep the negatives from a decision, then make a different decision. If you cant help it, then I'm sorry, but I'm not adjusting my decisions or way of life for the sake of your convenience. :rant I know, and i'm sorry it's kind of random. It's not just the gay issue, it's the general direction as a society.

Back to topic: Coach Brown had every right to do what he did, tho I agree that he shouldnt have associated himself with the university. *EDIT* I think he's just trying to do a service and remind the council members of their faith and to think a bit more about their decisions in relation to that faith.

I wonder if this gets big enough if they will have to fire Coach Brown. He is a representative of the University no matter what.

No way. He has already got an ACLU letter than made pretty big news. The backlash would be 10 times worse for firing the guy for this than it currently is for what he said.

yeah but if you are recruit and you hear about this it may nor may not matter. Since this is a guy you will probably see on a daily basis and talk to they may decide they don't want to deal with an outspoken christian. thus losing a valuable recruit.

How hard would it have been for Coach Brown to say my following statement doesn't reflect the University of Nebraska and only a personal belief before he started? then he would have avoided all this mess.

It would not have mattered. So many people just wanna bitch for the sake bitching. Whatever. This issue makes me sick. I'm so sick of hearing about it. The world is tough and I'm sick of all this nanny state "let's make everyone feel good" crap. I'm a fat piece of crap, where are my special rights and the laws that say you cant make fun of my weight, or the law that says i cant get cut from the basketball team becasue i'm too slow. You see where this crap is going. As an employer or business owner, I have the right used to have the right to employ whoever I want or serve whoever I want regardless of race, religion, sexual choices etc. If you dont want to reep the negatives from a decision, then make a different decision. If you cant help it, then I'm sorry, but I'm not adjusting my decisions or way of life for the sake of your convenience. :rant I know, and i'm sorry it's kind of random. It's not just the gay issue, it's the general direction as a society.

Back to topic: Coach Brown had every right to do what he did, tho I agree that he shouldnt have associated himself with the university. *EDIT* I think he's just trying to do a service and remind the council members of their faith and to think a bit more about their decisions in relation to that faith.

I wonder if this gets big enough if they will have to fire Coach Brown. He is a representative of the University no matter what.

It will be very disappointing if it does happen, and I believe that is a serious possibility. I was thinking about speculation such a situation in my previous post, but decided I had ranted enough and ruffled enough feathers.

No way. He has already got an ACLU letter than made pretty big news. The backlash would be 10 times worse for firing the guy for this than it currently is for what he said.

yeah but if you are recruit and you hear about this it may nor may not matter. Since this is a guy you will probably see on a daily basis and talk to they may decide they don't want to deal with an outspoken christian. thus losing a valuable recruit.

Or gain valuable recruits. Many many kids being recruited are strong Christians and would really enjoy playing for Ron Brown. Rex Burkhead is an example of a guy like that.

I can't name a single recruit we've lost because of Ron Brown's religious beliefs. I can name several off the top of my head that we've landed because of his beliefs, including Ameer Abdullah, a Muslim.

Or gain valuable recruits. Many many kids being recruited are strong Christians and would really enjoy playing for Ron Brown. Rex Burkhead is an example of a guy like that.

true. just depends.

I can't name a single recruit we've lost because of Ron Brown's religious beliefs. I can name several off the top of my head that we've landed because of his beliefs, including Ameer Abdullah, a Muslim.

Not saying that it has but only the potential to. He probably handles recruits differently than he does other things in his life regarding to faith.

Exactly. He stepped in it when he attempted to posture himself as representing the University. He's going to take flak for this, and he deserves it.

He does it a lot though. I honestly think he isn't worth it. He may be a great coach and all but there are lawsuits waiting to happen with his much of a pusher he is with his religion.

• Fire 1

Exactly. He stepped in it when he attempted to posture himself as representing the University. He's going to take flak for this, and he deserves it.

He does it a lot though. I honestly think he isn't worth it. He may be a great coach and all but there are lawsuits waiting to happen with his much of a pusher he is with his religion.

Define "a lot." I recall one other incident, which I would put under the free speech category (if memory serves correctly). This is the only time he's professed to represent the university in his rhetoric, and he was publicly and privately reprimanded for it.

On the other hand, he's responsible for some of the best recruits we've had in the past dozen years, he hasn't had to leave in disgrace after hushed-up shenanigans, and he's one of the most, if not THE MOST, popular coaches on the team with the players. ALL of the players.

So when you're talking about 'not worth it' you have to think, how much of a step back are we willing to take because this guy doesn't believe what you believe? Me, I'm cool with Coach Brown, despite differences in belief. Had a really great conversation with him a few months back, and wouldn't trade him for any position coach in the world.

But that's just me.

Well....... me and several hundred current and past players. And coaches. And our AD. And.... well, you get the picture.

On the other hand, he's responsible for some of the best recruits we've had in the past dozen years, he hasn't had to leave in disgrace after hushed-up shenanigans, and he's one of the most, if not THE MOST, popular coaches on the team with the players. ALL of the players.

So when you're talking about 'not worth it' you have to think, how much of a step back are we willing to take because this guy doesn't believe what you believe? Me, I'm cool with Coach Brown, despite differences in belief. Had a really great conversation with him a few months back, and wouldn't trade him for any position coach in the world.

I know you have an understanding of the Christian faith better than most having been a follower before, but boy does it make me sad when you represent and testify (through your conscience) the teachings of Jesus better than so many professed believers.

I know you have an understanding of the Christian faith better than most having been a follower before, but boy does it make me sad when you represent and testify (through your conscience) the teachings of Jesus better than so many professed believers.

Most Christians can't tell you jack about their religion besides Jesus is God.

Most professed Christians. But you're right, hence my sadness at the fact.

Most professed Christians. But you're right, hence my sadness at the fact.

Because most churches dont' challenge you to read the bible. Instead they want you to rely on them to know the proclaimed truth so they can fill the pews.

I kinda have to agree with this sentiment. I was picked on all through school for being so short. Luckily I made it to a healthy 5' 7. Why can't I be protected? How bout my kids? I mean if someone threatens your life you can turn them in. Why should it matter why they threatened you? I'm sure I've been passed up for a number of jobs because I wasn't tall enough or didn't weigh enough or was the wrong gender. Why all this fuss for special privaleges. It's like we're trying to make up for all the hardships towards gays by making them special. If they truly want to be accepted as equals than why fight for more than equal rights? Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way but I see a bill that puts extra protection for people of a different sexual orientation than myself. Why is that necessary?

I kinda have to agree with this sentiment. I was picked on all through school for being so short. Luckily I made it to a healthy 5' 7. Why can't I be protected? How bout my kids? I mean if someone threatens your life you can turn them in. Why should it matter why they threatened you? I'm sure I've been passed up for a number of jobs because I wasn't tall enough or didn't weigh enough or was the wrong gender. Why all this fuss for special privaleges. It's like we're trying to make up for all the hardships towards gays by making them special. If they truly want to be accepted as equals than why fight for more than equal rights? Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way but I see a bill that puts extra protection for people of a different sexual orientation than myself. Why is that necessary?

And it's going to be just like any other equal rights law. It's going to be taken way overboard, and it will get so taken advantage of that it will just turn into another form of affirmative action. You'll quickly begin to see special treatment and certain folks getting jobs they simply do not deserve just because one is afraid they'll get turned in if they dont.