Belichik shares formula for success with NU coaches

Nexus

LINCOLN — Bill Belichick initially planned to fly in just before his 90-minute chat Friday night at the Nebraska football coaches' clinic. And fly out right after it.

The Huskers got a lot more than that from the Super Bowl-winning New England Patriots coach.

Belichick got to Lincoln Thursday night. Hit the North Stadium football offices at 7:30 a.m. for a morning-long film session breaking down NU schemes and players.

"I admire the way (NU coach Bo Pelini) matches coverage and the way he uses the safeties in the run front," Belichick said.

Continue Reading

• A balance of players who do one thing very well and versatile guys.

Belichick said former Chadron State running back Danny Woodhead — who scored a Patriots touchdown in the Super Bowl loss to the New York Giants — is a good example of versatility. He might catch a pass on third down, then stay out on the field for punt team on fourth.

"Danny's one of the most unselfish players you'll find," Belichick said. "In terms of doing his job and putting team first, Danny embodies that."

Nice little blurb about the guy who is good enough to play for Belichick in the Superbowl. But not good enough to play for NU.

The "it's not about talent" line came from Bo. If it's not "about talent" then why don't we just give all our scholarships to instate players?

That's taken out of context. He said "It's not about talent," Pelini said. "The NFL is full of talent. You have to create a culture of success."

If you think about it like that, he is correct. Creating the "culture of success" is what seperates the NFL teams from each other. Even in D1, the top 6-8 teams have all the talent in the world.

What seperates them from each other?

The "it's not about talent" line came from Bo. If it's not "about talent" then why don't we just give all our scholarships to instate players?

That's taken out of context. He said "It's not about talent," Pelini said. "The NFL is full of talent. You have to create a culture of success."

If you think about it like that, he is correct. Creating the "culture of success" is what seperates the NFL teams from each other. Even in D1, the top 6-8 teams have all the talent in the world.

yep, exactly.

Talent is important, you need it. But everybody has it. It is a problem if you don't. If you do though, you still need something in order to separate.

I get what you're saying and I knew that's what Bo meant. For teams in the NFL separating themselves from each other is dependent on work ethic I agree with that. My point is in college though a lack of talent can not be compensated by work ethic.

nice article..

Just surprised nobody has started freaking out that Belichik is going to hire Bo as his DC....

Bo probly wouldn't take a 65% cut in pay. Voluntarily, anyway. Still, it wouldn't surprise me to see people freaking out over the mere possibility.