What was Joe Biden Thinking?

maybe he had a stroke???

come on only 48% chance he was there; sure go ahead and send in the SEAL Team. I'm not so sure the JCS would have been too supportive of that with very poor intel and other risks involved in that particular mission.

come on only 48% chance he was there; sure go ahead and send in the SEAL Team. I'm not so sure the JCS would have been too supportive of that with very poor intel and other risks involved in that particular mission.

That was the other thing that got me. If its only a 50/50 chance he's there, so lets send in our best troops, and hopefully we'll get him. I don't think our intel has been that good in over 15 years.

Biden!!!

/shakes head.

The truth is if Osama wasn't there, it's just another raid and our men get in and out and it's reported as some minor raid on Al Qaeda compounds in the news. I can't believe he is trying to make it out as if it had failed, it would be announced that we had missed when we hoped Osama was there, thus dooming Obama to a one-term presidency.

Biden is certainly gaffe prone, but what he said about certain political doom if it had gone terribly wrong (like Eagle Claw) was true. I think it would be more appropriate though to talk about the role of special forces in anti-terrorism and huge risk they take, with the executive decisions as a secondary consideration.

Biden is certainly gaffe prone, but what he said about certain political doom if it had gone terribly wrong (like Eagle Claw) was true. I think it would be more appropriate though to talk about the role of special forces in anti-terrorism and huge risk they take, with the executive decisions as a secondary consideration.

Sorry not even close. It wouldn't have hurt Obama if he didn't kill Osama. There was to be nothing lost if Osama wasn't there because they didn't 100% know he would be there.

Sorry not even close. It wouldn't have hurt Obama if he didn't kill Osama. There was to be nothing lost if Osama wasn't there because they didn't 100% know he would be there.

Plus we might have never even heard of the raid if Osama wasn't there. From what I understand Seal Team 6 does these types of raids fairly regularly but the public is rarely informed.

I said if the mission had gone terribly wrong like Eagle Claw, which was a political disaster for Carter, Obama could have expected a similar fate. Perhaps I am mistaken though in the assessment that flying special forces into a sovereign nation, in darkness, near a military installation, to capture or kill someone who is probably heavily armed and guarded has a few operational risks.

If you want to compare it to audacious raids in WWII like the British raid on St Nazaire, or more modern examples like the IDF at Entebbe, there is a completely different political dynamic. The British commandos in WWII and IDF actions had unequivocal support fail or succeed; that is not the case today. If Bush had ordered the same raid and it failed spectacularly he would have been branded a reckless war monger, same scenario Obama, he is weak and stupid. The point I'm trying to make is these are not easy decisions of no consequence, but, as stated before, I do question trying to leverage them as political chips after the fact. That's what Biden does for Obama though as the point man trying to the steer the media circus into useful topics for the campaign, as evident by the cognition that inspired this thread.

All the points you guys have made are solid, but we're forgetting something else.

What about the guys like my grandfather and uncle who landed on Omaha Beach? The ETO hinged on that entire invasion being successful. Don't get me wrong, getting Osama Bin Laden was huge, but think about this, what was bigger, hunting down a guy with a dialysis machine stuck to him, or the logistics of trying to land a million guys on hostile territory...

I'm just sayin....

There was nothing audacious about giving the go ahead to get Bin Laden. It was a no-brainer. Why is it everytime Obama takes a breathe of air there is somebody claiming how much audacity it took? It's easy to chalk this one up to old crazy uncle Joe but it's always somebody all over BO's jock. Seems like this administration has an inferiority complex when it comes to making the simplest decisions. They remind me of George Costanza making sure Elaine knew it was him who bought her sandwich. Like it was the greatest act ever. You can't begin to compare this to something like landing on Omaha beach. Doesn't even belong in the same discussion.

Operation Overlord is - without question - the most audacious, dangerous and complicated plan concocted over the last 500 years, and maybe even longer. The amount of preparation, the timing and coordination that went into that entirely dwarfs the Bin Laden raid. To this day, I think it's still the largest military plan ever created.