Sporting News: Bo Pelini, Huskers confident 2012 can be their year

Nexus

There’s something in the air in Lincoln. It might just be the hope of spring. But the Nebraska football team—from fifth-year coach Bo Pelini on down—is convinced it’s more transformative than that.

Defensive end Cameron Meredith, on the third day of spring practices in preparation for his senior season, said, “We’re all vibing on it.”

But what is it?

“There’s a lot of confidence,” Meredith said, “but it’s not just confidence. It’s the reasons we have to be confident.”

The Huskers believe they’re a smarter team than the 2011 squad that went 9-4 overall, had a disappointing third-place division finish in its first season in the Big Ten and lost 30-13 to South Carolina in the Capital One Bowl. They say they’re more together, too. Pelini says they’re deeper and already showing signs of being better prepared, and he includes himself in the latter area.

Continue Reading

I buy it. For the 1st time since Bo's arrived we're going to have talent and the start of developing depth in the Oline. Also a returning qb, nine starters on defense, SuperRex, Turner, Bell, Reed, etc......

I think we'll be a full load for the Big10 to handle.

and HIS full coaching staff.

I like what I'm hearing but I want to actually see it on the field. About that bowl game against South Carolina, Nebraska had a 13-9 lead, lost two turnovers both of which more than likely would have been touchdowns and they missed a FG. They put those points up on the board and they go into halftime with a 21 point lead. Coulda. Shoulda. Woulda. And the Northwestern game, yeah Bo that what happens when your team doesn't take an opponent seriously. There's usually one or two teams every season where it is blatantly obvious that the Huskers didn't really prepare for. I think you're a great coach Bo and as far as I'm concerned the seat you're on isn't even warm let alone hot. But you, and your team, really do need to take that next step. A national championship would be outstanding but let's focus on winning the division first, then the Big 10 title and if the BCS title game is there at the end fine. But take care of business each and every week.

• Fire 2

I know and understand everyone's skepticism...I think we all have the right to be at this point...but I got to admit, this particular off season has got me juiced. There is just something different about how these guys are coming off...even Bo.

I truly think Bo has been putting in some extra hours at the "Wizard of Oz" school of coaching and leadership and I think it is going to start paying off. That, and the last two hires Bo has made has really impressed me thus far...great strides in the right direction.

I know and understand everyone's skepticism...I think we all have the right to be at this point...but I got to admit, this particular off season has got me juiced. There is just something different about how these guys are coming off...even Bo.

I truly think Bo has been putting in some extra hours at the "Wizard of Oz" school of coaching and leadership and I think it is going to start paying off. That, and the last two hires Bo has made has really impressed me thus far...great strides in the right direction.

I get what you're saying but it is only the spring and hope, well you know all about that old adage.

I'm starting to get sick of this. Taylor has proven to be a gum flapper and it doesn't translate on the field. Don't you think talking like this to the media is a characteristic of a young team? I do. My theory is that huge heads like this and feeling sorry for yourself when you get down a few scores in Wisconsin go hand in hand. getting on guys behind closed doors (or in a game for that matter) for high expectations is one thing... Shouting national championship from the highest mountain is another.

It doesn't help that I feel like I'm in the twilight zone this season... All signs point to this season being Bo's worst in my eyes (im not mad about it, ive accepted it at this point, just how it works out)... and it just so happens to be the year everyone is drunk on kool aid. I just don't see it. And I'm "Mr. Bold prediction" when it comes to Husker seasons.

I'm starting to get sick of this. Taylor has proven to be a gum flapper and it doesn't translate on the field. Don't you think talking like this to the media is a characteristic of a young team? I do. My theory is that huge heads like this and feeling sorry for yourself when you get down a few scores in Wisconsin go hand in hand. getting on guys behind closed doors (or in a game for that matter) for high expectations is one thing... Shouting national championship from the highest mountain is another.

It doesn't help that I feel like I'm in the twilight zone this season... All signs point to this season being Bo's worst in my eyes (im not mad about it, ive accepted it at this point, just how it works out)... and it just so happens to be the year everyone is drunk on kool aid. I just don't see it. And I'm "Mr. Bold prediction" when it comes to Husker seasons.

I can't honestly see Nebraska winning a national championship this year either. But I definitely think a division and Big 10 title are within reach. We play a pretty weak out of conference slate and Wisconsin, Michigan, and Penn State all come to Lincoln. Theoretically that leaves Ohio State and Michigan State as the two* potential road losses. Playing Ohio State in Columbus is probably going to be a loss. I see 11-1 as posible but 9-3 again as more likely. The biggest key will be to see what happens when this team faces adversity in '12. Will they give up like they did last season or will they fight through it? That's the 64 million dollar question.

* The Huskers wouldn't lose to Northwestern again would they? :facepalm:

This year can, and I believe will, be the next step up.

I don't think so because of anything coming out in the spring, but because of Sipple's candid conversation with Bo that got posted after the season ended. Bo was honest about where he needed work, where this program needed work, and was desperately passionate to make that next step..

You're right, you are "Mr. Bold prediction"