97 Nebraska vs 97 Michigan (ESPN Poll)

Michigan by two touchdowns

Reality check Bucky...

Washington St still had a great opportunity at the end of the game until Leaf had YET ANOTHER of his inexplicable brain farts on 4th down on the last drive. That game was an even match-up.

And I was in attendance at the Tennessee thrashing and believe me, we could have NAMED the score had T.O. desired........

Dont feed the troll. Its tough to argue with stupid :)

Common Opponents:

Colorado; Michigan beat 27-3, NU beat 27-24.

Meh. NU beat a five-loss CU team by 3 points. Michigan beat a five-loss Iowa team by 4 points. And beat a five-loss Wisconsin team by ten points. So what? It just means that great teams can have crappy off-days against a mediocre school.

Baylor; Michigan beat 38-3, NU beat 49-21

This is utterly meaningless. NU could have beaten Baylor by 70 points that day, if T.O. was so inclined. But doing something like that would be POOR SPORTSMANSHIP. Like going for a two-point conversion in the waning minutes of the 4th qtr when your team is up by three TDs.

Reality check Bucky...

Washington St still had a great opportunity at the end of the game until Leaf had YET ANOTHER of his inexplicable brain farts on 4th down on the last drive. That game was an even match-up.

And I was in attendance at the Tennessee thrashing and believe me, we could have NAMED the score had T.O. desired........

f#*k you

Reality check Bucky...

f#*k you

Excellent point, sir. Very well articulated. It's about what I'd expect from a Cheese-headed Gamecock. :lol:

Would've been a good game either way. Interesting bit in the comments:

Michigan beat 7 top 25 teams and 4 in the top 10. Nebraska beat 4 top 25 teams and two in the top 10.

Common Opponents:

Baylor; Michigan beat 38-3, NU beat 49-21

Colorado; Michigan beat 27-3, NU beat 27-24.

Then some other guy brought up that Nebraska actually played more opponents who ended up ranked at the end of the season which actually matters more...

Both of those games for Michigan were at home and both of Nebraska's games were road games. And Colorado was in thier minds a rivalry game. So compairing the two is not a factor. Not saying Nebraska would have WON but looking at all the stats they should have WON.

Does anyone else remember when the AP vote took place in 1997?. IIRC, in 1997 the AP vote took place before Nebraska's bowl game. The AP voters didn't get a chance to see us play, or they surely would have voted us #1. Normally they wait until the season is over to vote--don't they? Am I remembering this right?? Does anyone else remember how this played out?

Also, one of the announcers of the Orange Bowl was Bob Griese. It sounded like he clearly favored Tennessee during the game. Didn't have much of anything good to say about Nebraska, and a couple of times he plugged Michigan and bragged about his kid, Michigan's QB Brian Griese. Bob Griese seemed disappointed that Tennessee lost. At the time I thought it was a total crock of sh#t that CBS would have Griese in the booth at that game. I still think that.

Here's the 97 OB:

Note: Look at the hit by Ralph Brown at the 2:25 mark. Incredible.

I just watched it the other day so this caught my attention. Bob Griese actually did the Rose Bowl with Keth Jackson. Yes, there quite a bit of lobbying going on, especially after the game, which is the only time is became obvious Michigan would win. The orange Bowl was actually done by Sean McDonough and I wanna say it was Terry Donahue, and Donahue was actually doing some lobbying for Nebraska. And also after the Rose Bowl, Bob showed emotions when Brian was named MVP and so on. Regardless, I really have nothing against Bob, it was probably a tough position for him to be in. Musberger and Danielson on the other hand.....

There's that reality vacuum again.

It was only three easy payments of $19.99.

No but really I think Michigan had a great team and I think they'd win. Great players and better performances against common opponents...that's just my opinion. You might disagree but it doesn't make me a troll.

People on here that think NU would've run away with it are more out of touch with reality than I am.

No but really I think Michigan had a great team and I think they'd win. Great players and better performances against common opponents...that's just my opinion. You might disagree but it doesn't make me a troll.

I never accused you of being a troll. Consider this:

'SkersRule, on 21 March 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

Let's see, after the 1997 season both Nebraska and Michigan were undefeated. Nebraska absolutely crushed a Peyton Manning led Tennessee squad that also featured future all-pro RB Jamal Lewis, Leonard Little, Peerless Price and a slew of other future quality NFL players. Michigan on the other hand barely squeaked by a Ryan Leaf led Washington State. But sure Michigan would have "beaten" Nebraska that year.

What say you to that?

People on here that think NU would've run away with it are more out of touch with reality than I am.

Performances against common opponents mean everything. Take this year for example. I mean, we beat the sh#t out of Michigan state, who beat you guys, and look what we did to Wisco.... oh wait. Well, I mean, how about our complete shutdown of Iowa, and they beat Michigan, and look how bad we kicked Michi...... Oh, nevermind.

Performances against common opponents mean everything. Take this year for example. I mean, we beat the sh#t out of Michigan state, who beat you guys, and look what we did to Wisco.... oh wait. Well, I mean, how about our complete shutdown of Iowa, and they beat Michigan, and look how bad we kicked Michi...... Oh, nevermind.

Hey man I get that, I'm just saying that looking back 15 years its one of the things we have to compare and Michigan played much better then you all. It is what it is.

"We're about to wear you out," they told White.

"It wasn't really trash talk, the way they said it," White said. "They just said it (matter-of-factly), 'We're about to wear you out.' And they wore us out."

Wish we had more of this. This sums up that 2009 defensive line IMO. We don't necessarily need Suh to be that effective again, we just need attitude and effort like above in the trenches.

Michigan had a truly great defense that year, and Nebraska had a truly great offense. That would have been a spectacular matchup.

Nebraska's defense would have handled Michigan's offense though. That Michigan offense wasn't in the same class as Peyton Manning's Tennessee offense.