Trayvon Martin and "Stand Your Ground" in FL

why would you tempt someone with a gun though to shoot you? when people get all worked up a fight is usually going to happen unless there is other people around to stop it.

why would anyone shoot an unarmed human, who was walking away?

yeah you might want to get more than 1 side of the story.

Here' what we do know; Zimmerman called police stating that Martin looked suspicious and possibly on drugs, it has been confirmed he was not and was walking from the gas station. Zimmerman concluded the phone call to the police and approached Martin, not the other way around. After approaching Martin with a gun, Zimmerman shot and killed an unarmed adolescent that was walking through the neighborhood.

why would you tempt someone with a gun though to shoot you? when people get all worked up a fight is usually going to happen unless there is other people around to stop it.

i would, but the person who could provide it is dead.

• Fire 1

Here' what we do know; Zimmerman called police stating that Martin looked suspicious and possibly on drugs, it has been confirmed he was not and was walking from the gas station. Zimmerman concluded the phone call to the police and approached Martin, not the other way around. After approaching Martin with a gun, Zimmerman shot and killed an unarmed adolescent that was walking through the neighborhood.

yeah the scuffs on Zimmerman tells me the unarmed adolescent isn't as vulnerable as you think.

i would, but the person who could provide it is dead.

then why was Zimmerman bloody like he came from a fight.

Source? What we know is nothing. We know only what the police tapes say, and what Zimmerman has said. Neither one of those collaborate your statement. According to ZImmerman after the dispatcher told him to wait for police, Zimmerman (who lost sight of Martin) turned back to his truck, an as he was heading back, was confronted and then attacked by Martin. During the ensuing altercation, Zimmerman says Martin made a move toward his handgun and was unsuccessful, and at that point Zimmerman felt his life was in danger and discharged his weapon. Which he later found out was a fatal shot.

Source.

http://www.wtsp.com/TrayvonMartin/article/260384/406/Zimmerman-walks-through-fatal-fight-in-new-video

• Fire 1

Where is the evidence he was walking away?

• Fire 2

Indeed. I believe the usual thinking would be having women on the jury would tend to benefit the prosecution is this case. They might be seen as more receptive to "this mother's child is never coming home" type of argument. Not necessarily my opinion but just a thought from my almost-nil legal experience.

IMO, it depends on the type of crime. I'd probably have a slight preference for female jurors in this case. I'm sure the racial angle will be beaten to death . . .

Possibly could go the other way depending on how they play the account of the fight prior to the actual shooting. Woman might take into account (according to Zimmerman) that Martin was going through people's yards, in between houses off the sidewalk and possibly attacked Zimmerman and told him he would kill him that night.

Source? What we know is nothing. We know only what the police tapes say, and what Zimmerman has said. Neither one of those collaborate your statement. According to ZImmerman after the dispatcher told him to wait for police, Zimmerman (who lost sight of Martin) turned back to his truck, an as he was heading back, was confronted and then attacked by Martin. During the ensuing altercation, Zimmerman says Martin made a move toward his handgun and was unsuccessful, and at that point Zimmerman felt his life was in danger and discharged his weapon. Which he later found out was a fatal shot.

Source.

http://www.wtsp.com/TrayvonMartin/article/260384/406/Zimmerman-walks-through-fatal-fight-in-new-video

I'm using common sense. Zimmerman called the police about Martin, then hung up and there was an altercation. You think Martin seeked out Zimmerman after hearing that information? It doesn't make any sense.

People like Zimmerman are why I don't want teachers armed in schools. The police say stand down... but here's a guy that seems like he had a little too much of a hero complex. Now an unarmed kid is dead and lives are ruined.

Maybe. Maybe not. We really don't know what would have happened if Zimmerman would have left. Probably nothing big but you can't say that for sure. What if he leaves and the kid breaks into someone's house or assaults someone? I'd be pretty sure they have a neighborhood watch program set up for a reason.

This is a synopsis of what I think actually happened:

Zimmerman confronts Martin very aggressively and acts like an a-hole. Martin gets pissed at this and challenges Zimmerman. Zimmerman and Martin get in a small fight, Zimmerman realizes he is over matched and shoots Martin claiming self defense.

As I said before, I'm not a legal expert by any stretch. But I'm curious about the witness today. I think he was called by the prosecution but he seems to be making a very good case for the defense. Did I miss something or is the state required to call him as a witness even if he seems to be hurting their case?

Another prosecution witness seeming to back up Zimmerman's claims. If they have a case against him, they better get it going soon. I'm not sure the defense will have to call any witnesses at this point.

well in this day and age the media already concluded Zimmerman was at fault without getting any facts.

A forensic expert testified Tuesday that Trayvon Martin's gunshot wound indicated that he was likely on top of George Zimmerman when the neighborhood watch volunteer shot him.

Forensic pathologist Dr. Vincent Di Maio, an expert on gunshot wounds who has written and co-authored several articles and a book on the subject, said the single shot that killed the Florida teen passed through Martin's clothing as it hung 2-4 inches from his skin, indicating that Martin was over Zimmerman and leaning forward.

"If you’re lying on your back, the clothing is going to be against your chest," Di Maio testified. "So the fact that we know the clothing was 2 to 4 inches away is consistent with someone leaning over the person doing the shooting."

Full Article

A forensic expert testified Tuesday that Trayvon Martin's gunshot wound indicated that he was likely on top of George Zimmerman when the neighborhood watch volunteer shot him.

Forensic pathologist Dr. Vincent Di Maio, an expert on gunshot wounds who has written and co-authored several articles and a book on the subject, said the single shot that killed the Florida teen passed through Martin's clothing as it hung 2-4 inches from his skin, indicating that Martin was over Zimmerman and leaning forward.

"If you’re lying on your back, the clothing is going to be against your chest," Di Maio testified. "So the fact that we know the clothing was 2 to 4 inches away is consistent with someone leaning over the person doing the shooting."

Full Article

. . . not just any forensic expert.

Under cross-examination, DiMaio conceded that the gunshot could also be consistent with Martin pulling away from Zimmerman, and that he didn't rely on statements from some Zimmerman neighbors who say Zimmerman was on top of Martin to reach his conclusion. The pathologist, who also has testified at the murder trials of Illinois police sergeant Drew Peterson and record producer Phil Spector, said he had been paid $2,400 by the defense.