Fighting Illini vs Fighting Erstads

we are doing good, we just need to hit a team in the mouth and finish a series, if you win friday and saturday, dont come out and play laxidasical on sunday, play with the same intensity every night...i want to dominate, not because i drink kool aid, because i know we can, its going to be us or purdue coming out of this conference, and it will be only one of us, so we need to dominate and sweep majority of our series against cupcake teams

The sker's made me eat crow... Thankfully!!! :)

Props to our boys/men out there on the field. 34 runs in 3 games... That's taking them to the woodshed. "double :) :) "

I think the KSU game and the coming weekend is huge for several reasons but mostly confidence. Maybe northwestern will take advantage of the 30K husker fans in Chicago and find a ball park that can hold 5-8K fans or at least add some bleacher seats. Not likely though.

As for my flames and disappointment I won't begin to consider apologizing. We all know the truth is we don't have a single "broadcastable" mens sport that is above average and for me, having lived through the Devaney/Osborn years in football, the Nee years in basketball and the Van Horn era of baseball, being middle of the road the well... freaking mediocre at best isn't in any way acceptable nor appreciated.

Additionally, for those jumping on the baseball bandwagon... remember this..

We don't have a friday starter

We can't throw out any player with reasonable speed stealing

and

We don't have a proven closer.

For Pete's sake, we scored 34 runs in 3 games and "LOST" one and to top it off... we LOST our "opening" BIG game in front of a national television audience. WTF!!!

It would have been nice to win that game Friday on tv... but lets be honest, most people were watching basketball so it shouldnt be a huge issue. I think this team is showing improvement all the time. I think if we look back at the zaga series, many things went wrong. I think they have shored up many areas that they were missing at the beginning of the season. I think this team has every opportunity to win this conference and should. It would be nice to see this team be consistent the rest of the season and maybe get hot at the end of the season. I like that we are putting up big numbers offensively, but it makes days like Friday look even worse and games like UNC Wed. look despicable. I would love to see a stat of runs scored nationally. I think we would be close to the top if not at the top, but 9 losses might be the worst for top scoring teams nationally. It would be interesting to see. I am happy so far with the season. I think of the 9 losses we have all but about 2 or three of them were close games. games that could have gone the huskers' way.

a loss is a loss.. there aren't any "good" or "bad" losses.

Friday's loss was as pathetic as it could possibly be. It was a "historic" day at hay market and the skers were punched in the mouth. In fact, the husker fan base has been boasting for a year about how we would dominate the BIG in baseball and then Illinois comes in and takes us to the wood shed. Call me crazy but I'm sure the majority of the BIG fans watching was laughing their asses off. The only solace I can see in the loss was hopefully the players carry a chip in their shoulders for the remaining conference games and play like they did saturday and sunday. Friday's loss was an "epic" embarrassment that shouldn't be easily forgotten. I know its a loss that I'll be embarrassed about for years. I mean seriously we can't even win our first conference game in a conference that doesn't play competitive baseball and this is acceptable to everyone here? Wow!!! Guess my standards are "way" to high.

as of 3/18/2012, national stats in Div 1:

Link: http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/rankings

I expect this series might be indicative of the remainder of our weekends. We dont have a real stud pitcher but have a bunch of decent ones. If we face a stud on friday night it will be difficult for us to combat that. However, I think we will win quite a few series in the last 2 games. That will work for now, but to compete with the big boys were going to have to get an ace.

Friday's loss was as pathetic as it could possibly be. It was a "historic" day at hay market and the skers were punched in the mouth. In fact, the husker fan base has been boasting for a year about how we would dominate the BIG in baseball and then Illinois comes in and takes us to the wood shed. Call me crazy but I'm sure the majority of the BIG fans watching was laughing their asses off. The only solace I can see in the loss was hopefully the players carry a chip in their shoulders for the remaining conference games and play like they did saturday and sunday. Friday's loss was an "epic" embarrassment that shouldn't be easily forgotten. I know its a loss that I'll be embarrassed about for years. I mean seriously we can't even win our first conference game in a conference that doesn't play competitive baseball and this is acceptable to everyone here? Wow!!! Guess my standards are "way" to high.

IF, as you assert, there is no such thing as a "good loss" or a "bad" loss, then you can't categorize Friday as a "bad" loss............

You can't have it both ways.........

Would you be happier if we had won on your precious Friday night and then been blown out Saturday and Sunday......?

I'll take a 2-1 series win vs the defending champ any day over a win on Friday and subsequent blowout losses Saturday and Sunday. And I suspect Illinois would too.

• Fire 1

No Comish... I didn't categorize the loss. Anyone who can't see how epic the loss was is wearing blinders. Yes a loss is a loss but in historical value a loss can be considered an embarrassment and Friday's was just that.. an "embarrassment".

I'd have been happier if we'd have one Friday and still gotten a series win. Yes!

I think the loss on Friday was tough to swallow because Nebraska fans are trying to make the case that there needs to be more Big 10 Baseball coverage and that the Big 10 *can* compete if effort were placed into the programs (see Purdue, Illinois), and then we lay an egg on national television.

Yes, I'll take the series win, but it still stings that we pretty much choked in our first Big 10 Network coverage.

On a related note, while the BTN was running basketball reruns Sunday, ESPN and Fox Sports were showing multiple ACC, Big 12, and SEC baseball games. I don't see why the BTN couldn't have shown multiple games this weekend and contracted local/home play-by-play crews to helm the broadcasts. ESPN themselves always talks about how live events, even if they're not 'popular' events, draw more viewers than repeats and typically pay for themselves.

Is this just a case of the Big 10 being *that* embarrassed about their baseball product that they only give a modicum of coverage to it?

Link: http://web1.ncaa.org...atsSrv/rankings

Thanks Hacker. This site was updated on the 18th. hopefully it comes up with updates soon as it did not account for any run last week. we are currently ranked 6th in runs scored. http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/rankings

I agree about televised college baseball. I think that the entire sport could use more tv time. I would rather watch any college baseball game over paintball and bowling on espn. There are plenty of outlet channels that could show college baseball on the affiliates of espn and or BTN. I think it would help grow the sport and create more income for the schools who have baseball.

Link: http://web1.ncaa.org...atsSrv/rankings

Thanks Hacker. This site was updated on the 18th. hopefully it comes up with updates soon as it did not account for any run last week. we are currently ranked 6th in runs scored. http://web1.ncaa.org...atsSrv/rankings

Minnesota is tied for 230th with 76 runs scored.

Iowa tied for 215th with 81 runs scored.

Gonzage tied for 174th with 92 runs scored.

Cal and Ohio st. tied 97th with 113 runs scored

Hacker, yes it would have been fantastic to win the opening game. However, this is baseball. A game where if you win 75% of your games you are in fantastic position. For as much as you claim to understand about the game, something this simple should be very visible to you.

You say you didn't categorize the loss, but you said it was as "pathetic" as it can get, that's a category last time I checked.

Yes, we scored a ton of runs and lost a game, a game where we scored 3. That's not a ton of runs. Should we have scored more? Possibly. Did we? Nope, and there is no reason to sit and dwell on that game right now. We won the series and move on to the next one. Just because YOU gave this team unreasonable expectations at the beginning of the year does not mean that anyone else here did. Many realized that this is the first year with a first-year coach. There are going to be growing pains.

I care more about these numbers....

Rank Rating W L W L SoS Team

5 125.0 16 4 16 4 31 Purdue

13 120.7 16 6 16 6 30 Gonzaga

37 113.7 16 9 17 9 92 Nebraska

56 111.2 11 9 11 9 27 Illinois

57 111.0 13 9 13 9 60 California

67 109.6 13 7 13 7 152 Michigan State

81 107.8 13 10 13 10 104 Kansas State

http://boydsworld.com/baseball/isr/currentisr.html