OWH: Miles known for 'manic' enthusiasm

I guess I don't know why you guys are clinging to coaches that ended up at lesser jobs than Nebraska.

If Manning was such a commodity he would of ended up in a power 6 conference not Tulsa. If Larry Brown was a hot commodity he would be interested in a better job than SMU.

Frank Martin went closer to home. There is no way he would of stayed in the midwest for a lesser job than K St.

Seriously you guys want to see a better product on the court, but want to compete with the likes of SMU and Tulsa for coaches? That isn't going to get the job done here. If Manning ended up at an equal or better job than Nebraska then I can see the beef, but he went to freaking Tulsa!

Come on. There were very few "power 6" jobs open. Illinois got Groce, the clear top candidate once Stevens/Smart said they were staying home. Nebraska hired Coach Miles before Manning, Martin, Brown, and Saunders announced they were available. The fact that they went to or are interested in "lesser jobs" is a reflection of the jobs available, not the quality of the coach. The problem is straight-forward: Nebraska panicked in response to the OWH article about Gregg Marshal, then it acted too soon and missed opportunities as a result.

This part is absolutely hillarious. Thanks for the laugh though!!

Sorry if I'm not impressed by building programs in lesser divisions. Rebuilding a program at those levels isn't the same as building a program in one of the power six conferences. I hope Miles succeeds but I'm not impressed by the hire.

Sorry YTW you are wrong, its exactly the same. Run a fun almost NBA style offence, play good defence, recruit players that fit your personal style and motivate your kids. Then when you lose a quality assistant hire somebody better. The only difference is that you have moved up to a different level of player. Don't make it seem harder than it really is.

T_O_B

G>B>R

OK here we go again. In the interviews I read Manning didn't sound interested in much of anything. I'm sure he ended up at Tulsa due to the fact that Bill Self coached there. As for his coaching record he doesn't have one. Frank Martin was a HS coach for 15 years and then an assistant on the college level. His record at KSU is an impressive 117-54. He's a Miami native and is of Cuban decent to believe he was going to be in the mid-west for the long term is foolish.

Couldn't find much on Flip Saunders but he didn't set the world on fire when he coached the Sioux Falls Sky Force and at least two of his stops in the NBA (The Minn. Timberwolves and the Wash. Wizards) have been disasters. Each of them were bottom feeders while he coached them. Larry Brown is still 71 and not getting any younger. Would have been in Lincoln for 3 maybe 4 years.

Now for our New HC.

Tim Miles

Coaching career

A successful coach in NAIA (Mayville State) and NCAA Division II (Southwest Minnesota State), Miles took over at North Dakota State in 2001. Shortly thereafter, the school declared its intent to reclassify from Division II and transition to Division I. The school would be ineligible for postseason play in its first five years of the transition, and was initially without a conference. On January 21, 2006, in just the school's second year in Division 1, NDSU pulled off a shocking 62–55 upset of #12 Wisconsin at the Kohl Center. The Bison, starting three redshirt freshman, ended Wisconsin's 27-game home winning streak against non-conference opponents. Miles would be named the Division I Independent Coach of the Year by CBS Sportsline.

The following season the Bison pulled yet another stunning upset. NDSU won at #8 Marquette in the championship game of the school's Blue and Gold Classic 64–60. The Bison would go on to finish 20–8, their best season under Miles. Of note, two years after Miles departed, at which time the school had since gained entry to the Summit League, the Bison made the NCAA Tournament under Miles' top assistant and successor, Saul Phillips, in their first year of eligibility primarily with the same players (as seniors) Miles had recruited and coached during their upsets of Wisconsin and Marquette.

On March 22, 2007, Miles was named head coach at Colorado State, replacing Dale Layer. Miles inherited just two players from the 2007 roster, and struggled to succeed early, going so far as to hold walkon tryouts to fill his first roster. After going winless in conference during his first season, Miles' teams improved gradually in the following years.

In May 2011, after winning 19 games and guiding CSU to its seventh appearance in the NIT during the 2010-11 season, he signed a 5 year contract with Colorado State.

The 2011-12 season saw Miles once again pulling upsets over ranked opponents. On January 28, CSU upset #12 San Diego State 77-60 at Moby Arena, marking the program's first win over a ranked opponent since 2004. Just over a month later the Rams stunned #18 New Mexico 71-63. Then, on February 29, Colorado State rallied from down 15 at half to defeat #17 UNLV 66-59. All three wins came at Moby Arena where CSU went 14-1, including 7-0 against Mountain West teams, the program's first perfect home season in conference play since 1960. Finishing with a 20-11 overall record, 8-6 in the Mountain West, Colorado State was awarded an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament. It was CSU's first trip to the NCAA Tournament since 2003 and their first at-large bid to the field since 1990. The Rams were the 11th seed in the West Regional and fell to 6th seed Murray State.

On March 24, 2012 Miles was named the next head men's basketball coach at the University of Nebraska, replacing Doc Sadler.

Head coaching record

Season

Team

Overall

Conference

Standing

Postseason

1995–1996

Mayville State

17–11

9–3

1st

NAIA–II

1996–1997

Mayville State

18–11

10–2

1st

NAIA–II

Mayville State:

35–22

19–5

1997–1998

SW Minnesota State

16–11

7–5

3rd

1998–1999

SW Minnesota State

16–11

7–5

3rd

1999–2000

SW Minnesota State

18–10

12–6

4th

2000–2001

SW Minnesota State

28–7

17–1

1st

Div. II Elite 8

Southwest Minnesota State:

78–39

43–17

2001–2002

North Dakota St.

11–15

5–13

8th

2002–2003

North Dakota St.

20–11

9–7

4th

2003–2004

North Dakota St.

16–13

8–6

3rd

2004–2005

North Dakota St.

16–12

2005–2006

North Dakota St.

16–12

2006–2007

North Dakota St.

20–8

North Dakota State:

99–71

22–26

Colorado State (Mountain West) (2007–2012)

2007–2008

Colorado State

7–25

0–16

9th

2008–2009

Colorado State

9–22

4–12

8th

2009–2010

Colorado State

16–16

7–9

5th

CBI 1st Round

2010–2011

Colorado State

19–13

9–7

4th

NIT 1st Round

2011–2012

Colorado State

20–12

8–6

4th

NCAA 1st Round

Colorado State:

71–88

28–50

Nebraska (Big Ten) (2012–present)

2012-2013

Nebraska

0-0

0-0

Nebraska:

0-0

0-0

Total:

283–220

First time poster here at Corn Nation - long time Hokie - even longer time Midwesterner - was raised in North Dakota, so I know Nebraska very well. Much respect for Corn Husker fans.

If what Andy Katz reported his true, Nebraska has made a great hire in Tim Miles.

Tim Miles has won in places that are traditionally VERY hard to win at.

Tim Miles started his coaching career at my undergraduate alma mater, Mayville State University (I went to graduate school at Virginia Tech). He had none, zero, nada resources and took the Mayville State University Comets to the NAIA playoffs - he did great at Southwest State University in Minnesota (Now Minnesota State - Southwest) - he did even better at North Dakota State University - helped a D1 program get off the ground (one that was just converting to D1) and get to their first NCAA tournament.

You know his track record at Colorado State - in five years with the Rams, he won more games every year finally taking them to the NCAA tournament - he is, my friends, a program builder.

The advice I have for Corn Husker fans is to be patient with him - because he will make you a winner.

His hire gives me a reason to cheer for Nebraska to do well in the Big 10.

Congratulations on what would be a great hire!!!

It appears he has been successful at every stop. 13 winning seasons to 3 losing [1st season at NDSU, 11-15 -- 1st and 2nd seasons at CSU, 7-25 and 9-22 -- His first season at CSU he had only 2 returning players and held walk on tryouts. He basically put an intramural team on the floor, a problem that was not of his making.]. His overall record is 283 and 220.

T_O_B

G>B>R

You know, I was going to read this, but I just carried on living my life.

haha just joking man, I have no opinion. We made the hire, now I'm excited to see what happens on the court. Miles could be the next Phil Jackson, or he could be the next Barry Collier. Who knows....

Sorry if I'm not impressed by building programs in lesser divisions. Rebuilding a program at those levels isn't the same as building a program in one of the power six conferences. I hope Miles succeeds but I'm not impressed by the hire.

Sorry YTW you are wrong, its exactly the same. Run a fun almost NBA style offence, play good defence, recruit players that fit your personal style and motivate your kids. Then when you lose a quality assistant hire somebody better. The only difference is that you have moved up to a different level of player. Don't make it seem harder than it really is.

T_O_B

G>B>R

I agree and that's the key. Got to recruit and develop B1G type players.

Sorry TOB but your wrong! Your not going up against NBA level players every conference game. Recruiting is harder because you can't have 5 role players on the floor. Don't try to compare rebuilding UNK to rebuilding UNL.

Come out of your cloud and join me in truth Grasshopper. Not saying that we will be playing against NBA level players just saying you play an NBA style offence so you can attract kids with NBA stars in their eyes. Its the style dude, its the style, and then the recruiting.

T_O_B

G>B>R

But you say that rebuilding those smaller programs is the same as rebuilding Nebraska. Which is false! For one thing the talent pool for division 2 or NAIA is much larger than for div 1 players. A Drake Baronek type player was a star at UNK and wouldnt have seen the floor at most div 1 schools. While I will agree that some of things that it takes to turn a program around are the same. You guys all seem to think that Miles is such a great recruiter but I'm not sold. CSU wasn't loaded with talent. I watched them play several times. They were a nice team in a mid major. Nothing else! If Miles can bring in some real Div 1 talent I will fall in line but until I see it I'm not going to blow sunshine up your butt.

Didn't say we should go after Kentucky's recruits but I can tell you that CSU's team isn't going to cut it in the Big 10.

Agree with you on CSU's team, BUT Miles will be recruiting to a B!G team.............not to a mid-major......

That alone should/ will up the ante........

Let's give the guy a little time to produce before we pronounce him a bust.....

I'm willing to give him some time. He has 3 years to show me some improvement and most importantly some talent. The problem Nebraska has had since Née was fired is that we have been trying to play big 12/10 talent with CSU type players. If we don't see a big increase in the talent level by year 3. It's another bad hire.

But you say that rebuilding those smaller programs is the same as rebuilding Nebraska. Which is false! For one thing the talent pool for division 2 or NAIA is much larger than for div 1 players. A Drake Baronek type player was a star at UNK and wouldnt have seen the floor at most div 1 schools. While I will agree that some of things that it takes to turn a program around are the same. You guys all seem to think that Miles is such a great recruiter but I'm not sold. CSU wasn't loaded with talent. I watched them play several times. They were a nice team in a mid major. Nothing else! If Miles can bring in some real Div 1 talent I will fall in line but until I see it I'm not going to blow sunshine up your butt.

Quite frankly YTW I don't want you blowing anything any where near my butt. :) The situation is for every move up the ladder things get harder. You have to get our game on.. You have to do a better job of convincing kids to buy into your program. Doesn't mean you change your style, its your style and history wth it that says to a kid, "This is how we play. You may have the talent you need to get to the big time so we will play big time style and do what ever we need to do to get you ready for the big time, if you don't we'll make you the best player you can be, we'll help you with a quailty education and hopefully prepare you for a very successful life." That's all it is. You are just selling what you have to offer and Coach Miles and his staff just needs to get the job done. I've been at the top of my profession in two different product groups, what did I change? The verbage in my pitch that related to the product.

T_O_B

Didn't say we should go after Kentucky's recruits but I can tell you that CSU's team isn't going to cut it in the Big 10.

No one has. Things change and you have to ralize that things change, not necessairly your style, but what you do to upgrade your players.

T_O_B

• 11 months later...