OWH: Miles known for 'manic' enthusiasm

I'm not sure if the kid from South Sioux City can be turned from the dark side (Iowa), but you never know. Watching him play in the state tournament I saw a lot of good in him. I don't think he's a program changer but he could be one of those 4 or 5 role players every team needs. Minnesota has the kid from Chadron who has become a decent big man. There was a kid from SD a few years ago who was down to us and Minn and he went to Minn. In short, our state needs some energy to get high school kids dreaming about playing for the U and putting in the time to make themselves better players.

Yeah that, TS.

T_O_B

G>B>R

I'm not sure if the kid from South Sioux City can be turned from the dark side (Iowa), but you never know. Watching him play in the state tournament I saw a lot of good in him. I don't think he's a program changer but he could be one of those 4 or 5 role players every team needs. Minnesota has the kid from Chadron who has become a decent big man. There was a kid from SD a few years ago who was down to us and Minn and he went to Minn. In short, our state needs some energy to get high school kids dreaming about playing for the U and putting in the time to make themselves better players.

I doubt he would ever dump Iowa because he played with those Iowa guys on summer teams...........

It would be a longshot for sure but it might be worth a try. I don't condemn him for the decision to not come to Nebraska and that he liked playing with kids he knows from his AAU team. I'm sure part if not most of his decision to rule us out was the fact that NU was struggling and there was a ton of negative energy. I hope Tim M gives the kid a call.

I know what your saying Bull but your talking about 3 studs over a 20 year span. Besides Strickland name the last NBA quality player to come out of Omaha? Central is doing some good things but we face the same problems the football team face with no tradition. I was just hoping we could hire a guy that who has been involved with one of the blue bloods of basketball.

Omaha may not have produced a ton of NBA talent, but not many great DI kids get the chance to play NBA.....small rosters.... Miles just needs to win the battles for the Antoine Young's, Gessell's, Korver's of the Midwest.... Sure, when a Harrison Barnes comes along just across state, we aren't getting him (regardless of coach), but why couldn't we win a battle for a guy like the Korver's or even McDermott (if dad wasn't coach).... All the guys I named are right in our backyard..... we just can't lose them to Creighton, Iowa, ISU, etc...

Don't have to have a roster full of NBA talent to win games !!

I understand everything you guys are saying about local talent we get a few D1 players. But when Nebraska was good Nee had nba caliber players at 3 or 4 positions. If Coleman can get studs out of Chicago that's great until we get NBA caliber players in the program we are going 2 remain a mid major caliber team in a big boy conference. Which means we aren't getting any better.

I understand everything you guys are saying about local talent we get a few D1 players. But when Nebraska was good Nee had nba caliber players at 3 or 4 positions. If Coleman can get studs out of Chicago that's great until we get NBA caliber players in the program we are going 2 remain a mid major caliber team in a big boy conference. Which means we aren't getting any better.

eyeswear2allthatsholy:facepalm::blink:

eyeswear2allthatsholy:facepalm::blink:

I agree here completely..... Nebraska has rarely been "good" in BB if ever in my 42 years. Yes, we have had a team that has won the conference tourney, made the tourney.... but every dog has it's day..... I would rather be a good as a "mid-major" and consistently make the tourney than a flash in the pan 2 out of every 42 years. Nee had the best run, but we have never been a GOOD PROGRAM... and as I stated way early in this thread, we may never be..... but expecting the tourney every year isn't out of the question.

I would disagree with the statement that we were never "good". We made the dance 4 years in a row 5 times in 7 years with teamed that made it deep into the NIT in the years that we didn't. Had 3 players drafted in the first round in the draft. (King Piatkowski and Lue) and a lot of other players that were legit D1 players. ( Boone, Hayes, Hamilton, Strickland, Belcher) just off the top of my head. My point is even when we had a lot of talent we were competitive because we we had players. Not role players. We need some studs if we want to be competitive in the Big 10. What do you think Creighton's record would be if they were in a power conference like the Big East, ACC or Big 10? I'm guessing they wouldn't have been dancing. That's my problem with the Miles hire. Unless he can get recruit some players it doesn't matter how good a coach he is.

NU had some solid years with Nee, though calling it really good is a stretch.

Also, you don't need the studs to be from Nebraska or nearby, just solid role players from instate is what you are after. Just like football. Get the studs you can from where ever you can (Sounds like Chicago if Coleman comes) and have Nebraska kids being the role players and defenders who bring the focus and drive.

That being said, NU and CU, along with UNO all need to get together and make an effort to build the high school basketball in state. One high school just won't cut it with 3 D-1 basketball programs in the state.

I would disagree with the statement that we were never "good". We made the dance 4 years in a row 5 times in 7 years with teamed that made it deep into the NIT in the years that we didn't. Had 3 players drafted in the first round in the draft. (King Piatkowski and Lue) and a lot of other players that were legit D1 players. ( Boone, Hayes, Hamilton, Strickland, Belcher) just off the top of my head. My point is even when we had a lot of talent we were competitive because we we had players. Not role players. We need some studs if we want to be competitive in the Big 10. What do you think Creighton's record would be if they were in a power conference like the Big East, ACC or Big 10? I'm guessing they wouldn't have been dancing. That's my problem with the Miles hire. Unless he can get recruit some players it doesn't matter how good a coach he is.

Well, it was 3-0 against the Big 10 this year and they were probably better than Illinois, Penn St and Minnesota. I'd say about where Purdue is at and Purdue got an at-large bid this season...

The problem with your logic is that they only played 3 games against the big 10. Let them go thru a full schedule and see how they fair. No different than football. Anybody can get up for a few games. What do think their record would have been against Mich St. OSO and Indiana. Now take 5 wins away from their record and you think they ate still dancing. Doubtful since they were a 8 seed.

The problem with your logic is that they only played 3 games against the big 10. Let them go thru a full schedule and see how they fair. No different than football. Anybody can get up for a few games. What do think their record would have been against Mich St. OSO and Indiana. Now take 5 wins away from their record and you think they ate still dancing. Doubtful since they were a 8 seed.

Get up for a few games? They beat Iowa by 30 at a neutral site and handled Northwestern pretty well at home! I never said they'd beat the top teams in the conference. Maybe upset Indiana at home, like Nebraska did. I think they could have gotten a win against Michigan at home, also. I said they'd prob. have around the same record as Purdue, which was 10-8 in conference and Purdue got an at-large, so yes, I think they would have been dancing with a similar record.

And if you watched that team at all this year, you'd know they were better than the 8 seed they got. Being a fan, I really didn't care since I got to see them play UNC which was cool. But like the other Creighton haters on this site, you probably didn't watch them play and you probably don't know anything about the Missouri Valley Conference other than its a mid-major. Not that it is arguable the BEST mid-major conference in the country.

You assume I hate Creighton which is not true. I root for them every chance I get. I love what they are doing and used them for an example because everyone around hear knows them. But since you bring it up what are your impressions from the game with NC? Unfortunately I thought they were out outmanned at every position. That's the point I'm trying 2 make. The MVC is a great conference but it's not top to bottom as tough as the BIG 10 or Big 12 for that matter. Nebraska doesn't have the margin for error the Creighton is afforded. I do agree with you that Creighton got hosed in the seeding.

You assume I hate Creighton which is not true. I root for them every chance I get. I love what they are doing and used them for an example because everyone around hear knows them. But since you bring it up what are your impressions from the game with NC? Unfortunately I thought they were out outmanned at every position. That's the point I'm trying 2 make. The MVC is a great conference but it's not top to bottom as tough as the BIG 10 or Big 12 for that matter. Nebraska doesn't have the margin for error the Creighton is afforded. I do agree with you that Creighton got hosed in the seeding.

I think they played relatively well. They hung around during the game, but against a team like UNC, you need to make the easy shots. Young missed a few easy shots and McDermott could never really get it going. He played okay, but not as good as he needed for them to win. UNC shot lights out. Some might credit that to Creighton's poor defense, but they did hit some hard shots. I thought Greg E held his own against Zeller. I think Zeller only had like 6 points. But yes, UNC was much more athletic than CU, which they should be.

I get your point and all Im saying is, I'd think they would be middle of the pack this year with their talent and middle of the pack the years Korver and Sears played. Some years they may be at the bottom. You never know, but this year I dont think they could have beat the top dogs, but the Purdues and other middle teams, I think they could have.

But enough about them. As far as Miles, you don't know right now how well he will do. Nobody does. On the surface, you may not like the hire, but at least wait and see what he does. Its not like Nebraska is in a huge rush to make the tournament. Im sure he will get Nebraska there eventually, but its going to be a process (I know we are all sick of hearing Bo Pelini talk about the process, but its true.) I watched the presser and he seems like a players coach. Like a guy players would love to come and play for. What really caught my ear was when Tom talked about the recruits father that called him about Miles.