OWH: Miles known for 'manic' enthusiasm

Northern State. Mayville State. Southwest Minnesota State. North Dakota State. Colorado State.

Tim Miles' past coaching stops have a few things in common. But not one of those schools is a member of a major Division I conference.

So how in the world is Miles, Nebraska's next men's basketball coach, going to recruit and compete against Ohio State, Michigan State and Indiana?

"There will be people going, 'Why Miles? Why not this guy or that guy?'" said Saul Phillips, North Dakota State head coach.

"I'm telling you, by the time the ball goes up at the first exhibition, everybody's going to know they have the right coach. I promise."

Miles isn't the splash hire Huskers fans hoped for. But he might be the best fit. The 45-year-old has taken on middling programs. And each time, he walks out a winner.

Continue Reading

Northern State. Mayville State. Southwest Minnesota State. North Dakota State. Colorado State.

Tim Miles' past coaching stops have a few things in common. But not one of those schools is a member of a major Division I conference.

So how in the world is Miles, Nebraska's next men's basketball coach, going to recruit and compete against Ohio State, Michigan State and Indiana?

"There will be people going, 'Why Miles? Why not this guy or that guy?'" said Saul Phillips, North Dakota State head coach.

"I'm telling you, by the time the ball goes up at the first exhibition, everybody's going to know they have the right coach. I promise."

Miles isn't the splash hire Huskers fans hoped for. But he might be the best fit. The 45-year-old has taken on middling programs. And each time, he walks out a winner.

Continue Reading

Good read Nex. I feel real good about this hire and I also like the assistants he has on his staff.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Continue Reading

Good read Nex. I feel real good about this hire and I also like the assistants he has on his staff.

T_O_B

G>B>R

It looks like his ace recruiter, Ron Coleman is following him to Nebraska, so that's a good start.

It's good to hear positive things said about this new coach. Most of the comments I've read have been totally negative! I think he sounds like a good fit. I would like to see him come in here, recruit well and take the Huskers dancing next year!! GBR!

I'm positive about this hire as well, and even if the Huskers don't go dancing nex year, I believe we will quickly become competitive in the Big Ten. I too have been surprised by the number of negative comments . :bigredn:

After watching a dozen clips of Tim Miles on youtube, I think the local media (and the fanbase in general) will enjoy his style of banter and presentation. It's hard to root against a guy like Tim Miles. Quirky, charming, down-to-earth are just a few adjectives that describe his personality.

A cool little tidbit I learned is his GATA philosophy for the team to aspire to. They even made t-shirts with the acronym. GATA = Getting After Their Asses

Husker Hoops is still looking for its 'Devaney' to right the ship. Here's hoping Tim Miles can be that guy.

Here's another HuskerExtra article about Tim Miles: LINK

quote fr the article:

Miles, 45, was 71-88 in five seasons at Colorado State and led the Rams to a 20-12 record this season and at-large berth into the NCAA Tournament -- the school's first trip to the tournament since 2003. The Rams, with four Nebraska natives on their roster, lost to Murray State in the second round.

Miles went 16-47 in his first two seasons. His first team had seven of nine returning scholarship players either quit or transfer after Miles was hired. The Rams were 16-16 in 2009-10 and improved to 19-13 last season before this year's NCAA Tournament berth.

I hope people realize that we might get worse before we get better. I could see us winning a dozen games or so for the next two or three years. And having NU fans calling for the new guy's head. I'm just saying it might take Miles a few years to get NU basketball headed in the right direction. After all, we've pretty much sucked for about the last century.

• Fire 1

After watching a dozen clips of Tim Miles on youtube, I think the local media (and the fanbase in general) will enjoy his style of banter and presentation. It's hard to root against a guy like Tim Miles. Quirky, charming, down-to-earth are just a few adjectives that describe his personality.

A cool little tidbit I learned is his GATA philosophy for the team to aspire to. They even made t-shirts with the acronym. GATA = Getting After Their Asses

Husker Hoops is still looking for its 'Devaney' to right the ship. Here's hoping Tim Miles can be that guy.

Those were pretty funny. I hope he has that type of atmosphere most of the time in his coaching. I think the attitude and atmosphere are the two biggest things in coaching up young adults at any level.

quote fr the article:

Miles, 45, was 71-88 in five seasons at Colorado State and led the Rams to a 20-12 record this season and at-large berth into the NCAA Tournament -- the school's first trip to the tournament since 2003. The Rams, with four Nebraska natives on their roster, lost to Murray State in the second round.

Miles went 16-47 in his first two seasons. His first team had seven of nine returning scholarship players either quit or transfer after Miles was hired. The Rams were 16-16 in 2009-10 and improved to 19-13 last season before this year's NCAA Tournament berth.

I hope people realize that we might get worse before we get better. I could see us winning a dozen games or so for the next two or three years. And having NU fans calling for the new guy's head. I'm just saying it might take Miles a few years to get NU basketball headed in the right direction. After all, we've pretty much sucked for about the last century.

I think if we see improvement every year people will be ok and understand a couple really bad years at the begining. He won't make us an NCAA team by next year. Either would any other coach for that matter, that is just unrealistic. I really liked his personality in the few videos I watched. I feal as though he may be that ambitious young coach that we have been waiting for. Here's to hoping :wasted

quote fr the article:

I think if we see improvement every year people will be ok and understand a couple really bad years at the begining. He won't make us an NCAA team by next year. Either would any other coach for that matter, that is just unrealistic. I really liked his personality in the few videos I watched. I feal as though he may be that ambitious young coach that we have been waiting for. Here's to hoping :wasted

I hope you are right. But I am a bit skeptical. Look at this year. Doc's team was decimated by injuries, playing for the first time ever in perhaps the toughest conference in the nation. And yet we rode him out on a rail. Even though we've never really tasted success in basketball. Ever. Sometimes I think NU basketball fans are about like KU football fans.

Just for the record, I am probably the only person I know who didn't think we should fire Doc. I would rather have seen us hire a professional recruiter to bring in better talent. And keep Doc around for at least a couple of years. But that's just me.