OWH: Miles known for 'manic' enthusiasm

I wanted a big name...who wouldn't want Smart, Weber, Eustachy, etc...... but let's face it... regardless of what TO says, and I know that we are throwing a lot of $$$ into facilities and all

WE ARE A FOOTBALL SCHOOL..... first and foremost and always !!!

I am not convinced that just because Nebraska is a Nationally known, high profile school, that we could have gotten a lot of "big names" interested in this gig... TO is giving a more $$$ to the coach than Doc, but not many "big name" guys come to Nebraska for 1.2 - 1.4 ....... Some need to take off the rose colored glasses and accept that basketball is not the #1 priority and big time coaches know that...

Furthermore, I understand that Miles has NO petigree.... heck, he said it himself many times.... and we have used this same recipe over and over and over....to no prevail..... Miles may be the guy with his enthusiasm, optimism, and infectious attitude - combined with the facilities may be the guy who puts us over the hump.... AND when this happens, he will move on !!! If he builds Nebraska, other bigger named schools will come calling....

Hate to say it.... but Miles is a great hire, and NO, I am not sure we could have done any better..... and yes, I just called my alma-mater a "stepping stone" in basketball.

To PO: I think most people, me included, believe an agreement of that nature is absurd. But this hire is, at best, a long shot (his press conference skills, nothwithstanding). It doesn't make any sense. We do not have to take these types of risks because the job is not as bad the media says it is. We hired a new coach before the Final Four?! That's a huge disadvantage because we can't even know, for sure, which successful program assistants are available/interested. So, while the premise of a Creighton agreement is shaky, I don't have a good alternative explanation for this. The media is no help either.

Yes, this job is bad. Yeah, we are getting the facilities, but the lack of a population base that produces D1 talent year in and year out IS a huge deal. The fact that this is a football school is a big deal to coaches. The roster is not very pretty. And we have beaten a new hole in the lack of tradition facts. This is not an easy job, and people thinking that money would lure big name coaches here are living with their heads in the sand.

A hot assistant on a team still playing could have been a possibility but was fairly farfethed. The fact of what a potential canidate could be walking into screamed that NU needed a guy with PREVIOUS HC experience. So please tell me what is wrong with Miles, a PROVEN program builder. His record doesn't look so hot, but take away the first two years at each school and that record looks pretty darn good.

As for the "agreement", that's a crock. NU was hurting Cu this year before the hire. I am sure that win in Omaha did nothing for CU's RPI.

Can anyone tell me where i can find a vid of the presser i want to re watch it but i cant find it

yeah, that ^^

http://www.omaha.com...303249962#video

theres the presser. Seems like a good guy, like his enthusiasm. I hope this is the hire that raises the bar.

sorry for the blank post. anyways i didnt find a vid of it could u tell me where it is?

Huskers.com just posted a link via twitter. Once inside the site, just click the picture to watch the presser.

Tim Miles Presser

Here's another HuskerExtra article about Tim Miles: LINK

quote fr the article:

Miles, 45, was 71-88 in five seasons at Colorado State and led the Rams to a 20-12 record this season and at-large berth into the NCAA Tournament -- the school's first trip to the tournament since 2003. The Rams, with four Nebraska natives on their roster, lost to Murray State in the second round.

Miles went 16-47 in his first two seasons. His first team had seven of nine returning scholarship players either quit or transfer after Miles was hired. The Rams were 16-16 in 2009-10 and improved to 19-13 last season before this year's NCAA Tournament berth.

I hope people realize that we might get worse before we get better. I could see us winning a dozen games or so for the next two or three years. And having NU fans calling for the new guy's head. I'm just saying it might take Miles a few years to get NU basketball headed in the right direction. After all, we've pretty much sucked for about the last century.

I think if we see improvement every year people will be ok and understand a couple really bad years at the begining. He won't make us an NCAA team by next year. Either would any other coach for that matter, that is just unrealistic. I really liked his personality in the few videos I watched. I feal as though he may be that ambitious young coach that we have been waiting for. Here's to hoping :wasted

I hope you are right. But I am a bit skeptical. Look at this year. Doc's team was decimated by injuries, playing for the first time ever in perhaps the toughest conference in the nation. And yet we rode him out on a rail. Even though we've never really tasted success in basketball. Ever. Sometimes I think NU basketball fans are about like KU football fans.

Just for the record, I am probably the only person I know who didn't think we should fire Doc. I would rather have seen us hire a professional recruiter to bring in better talent. And keep Doc around for at least a couple of years. But that's just me.

I didn't want them to fire Doc either. I like this Miles guy. He's refreshing and in my opinion, not afraid to roll up his sleeves and get to work. He certainly has a record of going into schools and bringing them up to snuff. It will be interesting and exciting to see who he chooses to be his assistants and to see who he recruits. GBR!

I wanted a big name...who wouldn't want Smart, Weber, Eustachy, etc...... but let's face it... regardless of what TO says, and I know that we are throwing a lot of $$$ into facilities and all

I am not convinced that just because Nebraska is a Nationally known, high profile school, that we could have gotten a lot of "big names" interested in this gig... TO is giving a more $$$ to the coach than Doc, but not many "big name" guys come to Nebraska for 1.2 - 1.4 ....... Some need to take off the rose colored glasses and accept that basketball is not the #1 priority and big time coaches know that...

Furthermore, I understand that Miles has NO petigree.... heck, he said it himself many times.... and we have used this same recipe over and over and over....to no prevail..... Miles may be the guy with his enthusiasm, optimism, and infectious attitude - combined with the facilities may be the guy who puts us over the hump.... AND when this happens, he will move on !!! If he builds Nebraska, other bigger named schools will come calling....

Hate to say it.... but Miles is a great hire, and NO, I am not sure we could have done any better..... and yes, I just called my alma-mater a "stepping stone" in basketball.

Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina & Duke football fans know how Nebraska basketball fans feel. But then schools like Ohio State, Florida & Texas have proven that you can have both sports thrive consistently.

Kentucky at one time employed both Adoph Rupp and Bear Bryant during the 40s & 50s. Rupp was the veteran "big dog" of UK campus since he was winning multiple NCAA titles ('48,'49,'51) during Bryant's stint ('46-'53). So while Kentucky basketball's stock was rising under Rupp, Bryant was walking into a school that had won 56% of its games in its 27 yr. history prior to his arrival. During Bryant's 8-yr. run at Kentucky, they won 71% of their games, including an 11-1 season when they won the SEC and the Sugar Bowl in 1950. However, egos clashed between Rupp & Bryant over athletic funding. Rupp won and Bear left for Texas A&M.

Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina & Duke football fans know how Nebraska basketball fans feel. But then schools like Ohio State, Florida & Texas have proven that you can have both sports thrive consistently.

Kentucky at one time employed both Adoph Rupp and Bear Bryant during the 40s & 50s. Rupp was the veteran "big dog" of UK campus since he was winning multiple NCAA titles ('48,'49,'51) during Bryant's stint ('46-'53). So while Kentucky basketball's stock was rising under Rupp, Bryant was walking into a school that had won 56% of its games in its 27 yr. history prior to his arrival. During Bryant's 8-yr. run at Kentucky, they won 71% of their games, including an 11-1 season when they won the SEC and the Sugar Bowl in 1950. However, egos clashed between Rupp & Bryant over athletic funding. Rupp won and Bear left for Texas A&M.

Oh, I agree Nexus..... I am just saying that I don't think it is "probable" to expect Nebraska to be a Elite 8 team in BB and top 10 (or better) in fb year after year... Can it, and will it ever happen? Yes, I think things could line up for a year or two, but not consistently. Other than the examples you gave, and the exception of the Kentucky example.... Most of those schools didn't employ 2 "big names" at the same time..... Either they were breaking in an up and coming fb coach or vice-versa.... Once they became established, and one of those up and comers became HOT, now they can employ big names in both...

I think Miles was the best (or someone like him) we could do in the scenario we are in NOW !! I was excited after the presser. What an infectious personality. But, I also thought Doc was/is a great person.... Let's hope for everyone's sake Miles can get the time he needs to build the program.

Oh, I agree Nexus..... I am just saying that I don't think it is "probable" to expect Nebraska to be a Elite 8 team in BB and top 10 (or better) in fb year after year... Can it, and will it ever happen? Yes, I think things could line up for a year or two, but not consistently. Other than the examples you gave, and the exception of the Kentucky example.... Most of those schools didn't employ 2 "big names" at the same time..... Either they were breaking in an up and coming fb coach or vice-versa.... Once they became established, and one of those up and comers became HOT, now they can employ big names in both...

I think Miles was the best (or someone like him) we could do in the scenario we are in NOW !! I was excited after the presser. What an infectious personality. But, I also thought Doc was/is a great person.... Let's hope for everyone's sake Miles can get the time he needs to build the program.

I totally understood where you were coming from and it's certainly valid. No doubt. I should've driven the point further with the Kentucky story. Basically Bear Bryant knew where he stood after the Kentucky AD sided with Rupp on the funding issue, and he even said afterwards that "Kentucky decided it wanted to be a basketball school, so I left."

How does that relate to Nebraska basketball today? Well, first off, as a fanbase we can no longer make excuses that our facilities are not up to par. Furthermore, we can't accuse the AD of not caring about basketball after pumping $200M into facilities upgrades. If that isn't a sign of commitment then I don't know what else to say? However, all those things considered, we're still going to have to take gambles on up-and-coming mid-major coaches like we always have until someone becomes the Husker Hoops equivalent of Bob Devaney.

Sorry guys but I don't share in all the enthusiasm. Basically we payed Doc 3 million and hired a younger version of Doc for a reported 1.4 million. Not impressed with his recruiters at all! CSU has 4 kids from Nebraska on their roster! That stuff works in mid majors but isn't going 2 cut it in the Big 10. We keep hiring the same coach. Couldn't we get a assistant from Duke or North Carolina? Somebody from one of the bigtime programs?

Sorry guys but I don't share in all the enthusiasm. Basically we payed Doc 3 million and hired a younger version of Doc for a reported 1.4 million. Not impressed with his recruiters at all! CSU has 4 kids from Nebraska on their roster! That stuff works in mid majors but isn't going 2 cut it in the Big 10. We keep hiring the same coach. Couldn't we get a assistant from Duke or North Carolina? Somebody from one of the bigtime programs?

Wrong. Doc rode Billy Gillespie's coattails to success at UTEP. His tourney team was not Doc's kids. The guy everyone wanted, Shaka Smart, did nothing but sustain VCU. Jeff Capel and Anthony Grant built that program. Grant had recruited the kids on Shaka's Final Four team. He went 76-25 in three years with two NCAA tourney appearances and a win in the dance. Point being as I have said over and over again, Miles has taken sh#t teams at every one of his jobs and turned them into winners, and left every program way better than what he inherited.

As for recruiters, Ron Coleman is all you need to know. The guy will be huge. And if the rumor of Strickland possibly joining the staff has legs, that could be two guys that will scour every gym around looking for talent.

And for the last statement. The answer is No. And for the record, being a top assistant at Duke or UNC hasn't really meant being a dominant coach in recent years.

• Fire 2

Believe me, I understand you thought process and rationale..... I honestly believe that most on the board agree with you. I am just pointing out that with each "new" coach come a new sense of optimism..... Let's give the guy a chance. If this doesn't work, it better be Boehm's a$$..... Now, Creighton is mid-major and they beat UCONN, Ohio is mid-major and made sweet 16 and almost elite 8.... I can go on and on, not only this year but others. I know that it is the tourney and 1 game is exactly that.... I think WSU and Creighton would have at least "made" the tourney if in a major conference.

Let's give the guy a chance...and I mean at least 3 years before we call it a bad hire.