OWH: Miles known for 'manic' enthusiasm

Sorry guys but I don't share in all the enthusiasm. Basically we payed Doc 3 million and hired a younger version of Doc for a reported 1.4 million. Not impressed with his recruiters at all! CSU has 4 kids from Nebraska on their roster! That stuff works in mid majors but isn't going 2 cut it in the Big 10. We keep hiring the same coach. Couldn't we get a assistant from Duke or North Carolina? Somebody from one of the bigtime programs?

Here is Dr. Tom's response:

"People talk about, ‘Well, you want to hire a guy who's been to the Final Four.' The Final Four guy isn't going to come here and put the kind of energy and emotion and personal investment that it's going to take," Osborne said.

LINK

Miles was asked the following question today:

Did anyone tell you not to take this job?

“Am I on the record?” Miles asked. When told yes, he said he talked to coaching colleagues across the country about Nebraska.

“One of the coaches said, ‘Now, that's a tough job,' ” Miles said. “He had been in the Big Ten as a head coach. He told me, ‘Make sure you're going to get everything you need in resources and commitment.' ”

LINK

Lastly, I recall a tweet earlier in the season from Indiana coach, Tom Crean when asked about recruiting and Nebraska basketball, he said:

If you think Indiana suffers from negative recruiting, I can't even imagine how tough it is at Nebraska.

So there you have it. In a nutshell this is how Nebraska basketball is viewed nationally.

I like the hire. We tried to go to the West coast/big splash for a football coach a few years ago and we all know how that worked. At least if he take care of any local talent and relate to Nebraska people, that is a start. It will be difficult for a few years but we also gave Doc six years and many people still liked him.

What really impressed me was how sad and even angry the CSU fans were that they lost Miles. They were mad at their AD for not offering him more money to stay. I also liked it when someone asked Miles who his mentor was he said, 'Losing'. He said he had learned more from losing than anything. He said that when they would lose, he would go over what plays worked, what didn't....who worked, who didn't (not afraid to replace players who are NOT producing!!!) I like the way this guy thinks. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out!!

After watching his news conference in it's entirety for the second time, I am a big fan of Tim Miles. No, he's not the big name, or even an assistant, that's frequented the final four that some fans had hoped would arrive. That type of coach, in all likelihood, would not want to deal with the issues of a losing program, and would want a team that has consistently hit the ground running in the top twenty five. Based on coach Miles' record, he has eagerly embraced the challenge of turning around programs that needed a lot of work, and has succeeded in turning those teams around into quality, winning programs. We don't need a celebrity for a coach, we need a coach with cojones.

Sorry guys but I don't share in all the enthusiasm. Basically we payed Doc 3 million and hired a younger version of Doc for a reported 1.4 million. Not impressed with his recruiters at all! CSU has 4 kids from Nebraska on their roster! That stuff works in mid majors but isn't going 2 cut it in the Big 10. We keep hiring the same coach. Couldn't we get a assistant from Duke or North Carolina? Somebody from one of the bigtime programs?

Wrong. Doc rode Billy Gillespie's coattails to success at UTEP. His tourney team was not Doc's kids. The guy everyone wanted, Shaka Smart, did nothing but sustain VCU. Jeff Capel and Anthony Grant built that program. Grant had recruited the kids on Shaka's Final Four team. He went 76-25 in three years with two NCAA tourney appearances and a win in the dance. Point being as I have said over and over again, Miles has taken sh#t teams at every one of his jobs and turned them into winners, and left every program way better than what he inherited.

As for recruiters, Ron Coleman is all you need to know. The guy will be huge. And if the rumor of Strickland possibly joining the staff has legs, that could be two guys that will scour every gym around looking for talent.

And for the last statement. The answer is No. And for the record, being a top assistant at Duke or UNC hasn't really meant being a dominant coach in recent years.

In a nutshell.........THIS...^^^^^

Well articulated....and accurate..

What really impressed me was how sad and even angry the CSU fans were that they lost Miles. They were mad at their AD for not offering him more money to stay.

Glad you brought this up as I think it is a great point. From all the replies to news articles and fan forums concerning CSU, the overwhelming response is they are really sad he is leaving. Coach Miles may have not been as well known on the national scene but it appears he was a very popular figure in Fort Collins. Another telling sign I have noticed on other various message boards is a lot of the very vocal Creighton fans have been very very quiet on the hire. I think they realized after that presser that there is going to be some serious competition for Omaha whether it be recruits or getting a lot of that Omaha fan base back to Lincoln watching games.

I hope all you guys are right, but I'm not holding my breath.

That's good because you might have to hold it for a couple of years before his turn around plan shows progress and a foundation is laid........

The next couple might be vexing but I'm guessing we will be seeing a positive trend line with a vision of where we're headed........

I have seen this in other posts and I think it'ss an apt comment. The guy has an infectious personality.

People tend to gravitate towards positive energetic people. Just from the impression he made to me and I think from others in the PC, I think he will be able to recruit. The facilities and a staff with recruiting connections should allow him the chance to get in livings rooms to get recruits to come visit & to close. I agree with others that Coleman is going to be key along with the other 2 hires.

The other thing I like is there's a ton of CSU's supporters who are sad to see him go and they are all saying the same thing. The guy is a great coach who can get it done. Not much ambivalence there.

So like he said. Timing is everything. He's got facilities and he's got a plan. He's in the top conference in the nation. He knows he has to recruit to the b1g. He's going to go after a staff with a b1g footprint that has connections and can recruit. I think he and his staff will get that done.

The other thing I like that hasn't been talked about enough is for the fans to re-energize. Have fun at the games. Connecting with the students is a great way to do it.

I hope all you guys are right, but I'm not holding my breath.
That's good because you might have to hold it for a couple of years before his turn around plan shows progress and a foundation is laid........ The next couple might be vexing but I'm guessing we will be seeing a positive trend line with a vision of where we're headed........

If you look at his history, next season will probably have a win/loss very similar or worse than this year. Given how most of his scholarship players left before the first season at CSU, Miles appears to be a guy who will take the pain in the short to build for the future. Instead of the stop gap efforts we had with Doc.

Hopefully it works out for Miles. I liked what I saw in the press conference, hopefully its more real vision than used car salesman.

You seriously need to do some research on Miles and his staff. Start with the CSU Athletics web site. We don't need an untried assistant I don't care what the pedigree of the university is that he comes from. As far as, "We keep hiring the same coach." Miles is in no way the same coach as Sadler. Miles has been a winner where ever he has been.

As for recruiting in the upper mid-west [Neb, SD, ND, Minn, Iowa] well I'llgive you two examples of recruits out of the fertile basketball State of South Dakota. First Florida recruited a high

school standout named Mike Miller. Miller is now holding up such delicate psyches as Labron James and Duane Wade while playing for the Miami Heat. Second, Florida came to Sioux Falls and recruited 6' 8" Cody Larson who is now a red-shirt fros for a team that went to the Sweet 16. Don't tell me good players can't be found throughout this area. One of Nebraska's best players ever was Erick Piakowski from Rapid City. I rest my case.

T_O_B

G>B>R

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcTU0BEeOK4&feature=related

It looks like CSU fills up their arena a lot better than we do, plus their student section looks at least 3 times as big, if only we could get this many students at a game, and near the court, we could really make a factor like he also mentioned in the pc.

I remember Coach Miles saying yesterday that he will put in the time and effort into the fan base and do what ever he has to do to put the students in the seats, I loved it when he said he wanted the student fans to stand the whole time and all that. that got me pumped up and i dont follow BB but i am starting to follow husker BB and it looks promiesing