OWH: Miles known for 'manic' enthusiasm

Here's another HuskerExtra article about Tim Miles: LINK

quote fr the article:

Miles, 45, was 71-88 in five seasons at Colorado State and led the Rams to a 20-12 record this season and at-large berth into the NCAA Tournament -- the school's first trip to the tournament since 2003. The Rams, with four Nebraska natives on their roster, lost to Murray State in the second round.

Miles went 16-47 in his first two seasons. His first team had seven of nine returning scholarship players either quit or transfer after Miles was hired. The Rams were 16-16 in 2009-10 and improved to 19-13 last season before this year's NCAA Tournament berth.

I hope people realize that we might get worse before we get better. I could see us winning a dozen games or so for the next two or three years. And having NU fans calling for the new guy's head. I'm just saying it might take Miles a few years to get NU basketball headed in the right direction. After all, we've pretty much sucked for about the last century.

I think if we see improvement every year people will be ok and understand a couple really bad years at the begining. He won't make us an NCAA team by next year. Either would any other coach for that matter, that is just unrealistic. I really liked his personality in the few videos I watched. I feal as though he may be that ambitious young coach that we have been waiting for. Here's to hoping :wasted

I hope you are right. But I am a bit skeptical. Look at this year. Doc's team was decimated by injuries, playing for the first time ever in perhaps the toughest conference in the nation. And yet we rode him out on a rail. Even though we've never really tasted success in basketball. Ever. Sometimes I think NU basketball fans are about like KU football fans.

Just for the record, I am probably the only person I know who didn't think we should fire Doc. I would rather have seen us hire a professional recruiter to bring in better talent. And keep Doc around for at least a couple of years. But that's just me.

I don't like seeing anyone lose their job but Doc is leaving here a millionaire that should soften the blow.

T_O_B

G>B>R

I don't like seeing anyone lose their job but Doc is leaving here a millionaire that should soften the blow.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Yeah, that actually was a sticking point for me. Sure it makes Doc feel better. But it's a huge waste of money.

I know you and I are on polar opposite extremes of the Doc situation. I just thought that our AD could have made better use of our resources by (instead of firing Doc) taking Doc's buyout money and spending it on a hot handed recruiter. To bring in some talented players. Believe it or not, but Doc is actually pretty well thought of outside the state of Nebraska. I think basketball fans of other schools think our crappy team is due more to our long history of crappy basketball team, than being due to Doc's shortcomings.

Oh well, Doc got teh axe. And so now we make a fresh start. With a bit less money in the ole AD piggy bank.

There are not a boat load of great basketball players just waiting to be coached up on this Husker team. That being said I hope to see whomever is here play hard and have fun. I wish Coach Miles and his crew the best in years to come and hope he is the Moses who leads us out of the desert and into the NCAA Promised Land.

Sounds like he has a sense of humor and is a goofball. From one goof to another. chuckleshuffle Awesome.

The guy has been a coach of the year at every level he has been at. All at programs he had to build. Looking forward to seeing that trend continue at the B1G level.

HONORS

Mountain West Coach of the Year, CollegeInsider.com, 2010

• University of Mary Hall of Fame Inductee, 2007

Division I Independent Coach of the Year, CBS Sportsline, 2005-06

• Finalist for the Hugh Durham Mid-Major Coach of the Year Award, 2005-06

• North Central Region Coach of the Year at Southwest Minnesota State, 2000-01

Northern Sun Conference Coach of the Year at Southwest Minnesota State, 2000-01

• National Coach of the Month, (Division II Bulletin), December 2000

NDCAC Coach of the Year, 1996

I'm interested in finding out a lot more about his coaching philosophies. So far it seems everyone talks about his "successes", but what kind of team does he put on the court? Is he an offensive coach, defensive coach, or all around. What type of offense does he run? Is he a zone or man to man type of guy?

I like the sounds of the GATA.

Doc generally had a decent defensive team, although I think the numbers were skewed because his offenses were so horrible that they often run the clock down to nothing, shortening the game thus minimizing the opposing offense the opportunity to put up big numbers. Doc couldn't coach offense if he had the Miami Heat roster.

I'm interested in finding out a lot more about his coaching philosophies. So far it seems everyone talks about his "successes", but what kind of team does he put on the court? Is he an offensive coach, defensive coach, or all around. What type of offense does he run? Is he a zone or man to man type of guy?

Doc generally had a decent defensive team, although I think the numbers were skewed because his offenses were so horrible that they often run the clock down to nothing, shortening the game thus minimizing the opposing offense the opportunity to put up big numbers. Doc couldn't coach offense if he had the Miami Heat roster.

Led the conference in field goal percentage, 3 point percentage and scoring................so should be different than Doc..........

Good pt. Hope he runs multiple defenses. (mix of man & zone). Don't have an opinoin on the offense, but would be interested to know if he is going to recruit targeted players to a style of basketball, or if he is going to go for whoever he can recruit and adjust his style based on his best players.

After watching Tim Miles press conference one word comes to mind...ENTHUSIASM.

This guy came across as genuine, honest, funny, and he just seems like a real straight shooter. I think he will fit into the Nebraska culture very well. None of us know how that will translate to wins or losses for the basketball team, but we all must give this guy a fair chance. Welcome to Nebraska Coach Miles! We are glad you are here.

As far as press conferences go, that was one of the better I have ever watched. Love the enthusiasm. Loved what he said about getting recruits in state, in the former Big12 north and the BIG footprint. LOVED what he said about getting the students involved in the games. He is definitely from the younger more media savvy generation. Maybe some of that skill could rub off on Bo. Liked what he said about Doc, thought that showed respect. I know we all wanted that established grand slam hire but after watching that presser, I am more then willing to get behind Coach Miles 100%. Welcome coach Miles!