OWH: Miles known for 'manic' enthusiasm

So Crewe you don't think having Danny Manning as our coach wouldn't put butts in the seats? How many butts is the Miles hire going to get us? I'd rather take a shot on Manning who is sitting next to one of the best coaches in the country. What exactly is so impressive about miles? Rebuilding Div 2 schools is nice but not that impressive to me.

And the likes of Matt Doherty(Roy WIlliams), Jeff Capel(Coach K), Tommy Amaker(Coach K), and Quinn Snyder(Coach K) are all continual proven comodities, that have sat to arguably the greatest minds in the game, and are being pursued for every openin out there??? Just because they sat on a bench of a genious doesn't equate to success for their careers.

And if Martin leaves KSU a week or two earlier, one of the top guys on their list(the top according to many) was Miles. And if you honestly think NU is currently a better coaching gig than KSU, you need to really step outside and think outside the box. or the lowerr half of the BOB

You make me laugh Bull! Your a funny guy. The only diffence is that we would handing the guy a crap program and we gave Bo our baby. I'm sure if we would of hired a top assistant from one of these schools you would be on here clamoring for Miles.

If you remember I was pushing for Rick Majeras and I don't recall any assistant from the schools you mentioned knocking on our door looking for a job. Being an assistant at Duke, UNC, ect., those assistant jobs are most likely seen as better positions that at a doormat B1G school.

As for Bo if I remember right Pederson and Calahan left our 'baby' with a lot of crap in its diapers.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Here's another HuskerExtra article about Tim Miles: LINK

quote fr the article:

Miles, 45, was 71-88 in five seasons at Colorado State and led the Rams to a 20-12 record this season and at-large berth into the NCAA Tournament -- the school's first trip to the tournament since 2003. The Rams, with four Nebraska natives on their roster, lost to Murray State in the second round.

Miles went 16-47 in his first two seasons. His first team had seven of nine returning scholarship players either quit or transfer after Miles was hired. The Rams were 16-16 in 2009-10 and improved to 19-13 last season before this year's NCAA Tournament berth.

I hope people realize that we might get worse before we get better. I could see us winning a dozen games or so for the next two or three years. And having NU fans calling for the new guy's head. I'm just saying it might take Miles a few years to get NU basketball headed in the right direction. After all, we've pretty much sucked for about the last century.

I think if we see improvement every year people will be ok and understand a couple really bad years at the begining. He won't make us an NCAA team by next year. Either would any other coach for that matter, that is just unrealistic. I really liked his personality in the few videos I watched. I feal as though he may be that ambitious young coach that we have been waiting for. Here's to hoping :wasted

I hope you are right. But I am a bit skeptical. Look at this year. Doc's team was decimated by injuries, playing for the first time ever in perhaps the toughest conference in the nation. And yet we rode him out on a rail. Even though we've never really tasted success in basketball. Ever. Sometimes I think NU basketball fans are about like KU football fans.

Just for the record, I am probably the only person I know who didn't think we should fire Doc. I would rather have seen us hire a professional recruiter to bring in better talent. And keep Doc around for at least a couple of years. But that's just me.

I see what you're saying but six years was more than enough time to produce a winner.

Every kid who goes to a big time school has his eye on the NBA. Let's face it SADler's brand of basketball would not, did not appeal to kids with NBA on their minds and I don't care how good the recruiter they just weren't going to come and play for Doc.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Danny Manning, Frank Martin, Larry Brown, Flip Saunders. We didn't take a shot at any of these guys despite rumors or confirmations that they are available. We acted too early.

Manning said no. Martin was on his way to something bigger and better, not looking to rebuild a program. Larry Brown is 71 and who knows if he would have considered NE afterall his jobs were all at high profile schools and pro teams. As for Flip he's not leaving the NBA. We acted right on time.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Danny Manning, Frank Martin, Larry Brown, Flip Saunders. We didn't take a shot at any of these guys despite rumors or confirmations that they are available. We acted too early.

Manning said no. Martin was on his way to something bigger and better, not looking to rebuild a program. Larry Brown is 71 and who knows if he would have considered NE afterall his jobs were all at high profile schools and pro teams. As for Flip he's not leaving the NBA. We acted right on time.

T_O_B

G>B>R

How do you know Manning said no? Martin went to South Carolina, where the last NCAA win was 1974 - that's not a bigger and better job, it is a re-build on the scale of Nebraska. If Larry Brown is considering the SMU job, I suspect he would have considered the Huskers' job. Media sources are reporting that Flip has told people he's interested in college coaching. Each of these individuals has experienced greater success in basketball than Coach Miles. Unfortunately, there is zero evidence we made any attempt to contact these coaches, and since we hired so early, we couldn't react when they publicly came available. We, as Huskers, need to stop making excuses for our failures; we need to recognize them and improve.

To be clear, I hope Coach Miles wins at Nebraska but, if he doesn't, we'll all have the feeling that oppoutuites were missed. On the other hand, perhaps this keeps basketball as the clear second class program in the Athletic Departing (which I'm okay with by the way).

I guess I don't know why you guys are clinging to coaches that ended up at lesser jobs than Nebraska.

If Manning was such a commodity he would of ended up in a power 6 conference not Tulsa. If Larry Brown was a hot commodity he would be interested in a better job than SMU.

Frank Martin went closer to home. There is no way he would of stayed in the midwest for a lesser job than K St.

Seriously you guys want to see a better product on the court, but want to compete with the likes of SMU and Tulsa for coaches? That isn't going to get the job done here. If Manning ended up at an equal or better job than Nebraska then I can see the beef, but he went to freaking Tulsa!

I guess I don't know why you guys are clinging to coaches that ended up at lesser jobs than Nebraska.

If Manning was such a commodity he would of ended up in a power 6 conference not Tulsa. If Larry Brown was a hot commodity he would be interested in a better job than SMU.

Frank Martin went closer to home. There is no way he would of stayed in the midwest for a lesser job than K St.

Seriously you guys want to see a better product on the court, but want to compete with the likes of SMU and Tulsa for coaches? That isn't going to get the job done here. If Manning ended up at an equal or better job than Nebraska then I can see the beef, but he went to freaking Tulsa!

Come on. There were very few "power 6" jobs open. Illinois got Groce, the clear top candidate once Stevens/Smart said they were staying home. Nebraska hired Coach Miles before Manning, Martin, Brown, and Saunders announced they were available. The fact that they went to or are interested in "lesser jobs" is a reflection of the jobs available, not the quality of the coach. The problem is straight-forward: Nebraska panicked in response to the OWH article about Gregg Marshal, then it acted too soon and missed opportunities as a result.

T_O_B

G>B>R

How do you know Manning said no? Martin went to South Carolina, where the last NCAA win was 1974 - that's not a bigger and better job, it is a re-build on the scale of Nebraska. If Larry Brown is considering the SMU job, I suspect he would have considered the Huskers' job. Media sources are reporting that Flip has told people he's interested in college coaching. Each of these individuals has experienced greater success in basketball than Coach Miles. Unfortunately, there is zero evidence we made any attempt to contact these coaches, and since we hired so early, we couldn't react when they publicly came available. We, as Huskers, need to stop making excuses for our failures; we need to recognize them and improve.

To be clear, I hope Coach Miles wins at Nebraska but, if he doesn't, we'll all have the feeling that oppoutuites were missed. On the other hand, perhaps this keeps basketball as the clear second class program in the Athletic Departing (which I'm okay with by the way).

OK

Come on. There were very few "power 6" jobs open. Illinois got Groce, the clear top candidate once Stevens/Smart said they were staying home. Nebraska hired Coach Miles before Manning, Martin, Brown, and Saunders announced they were available. The fact that they went to or are interested in "lesser jobs" is a reflection of the jobs available, not the quality of the coach. The problem is straight-forward: Nebraska panicked in response to the OWH article about Gregg Marshal, then it acted too soon and missed opportunities as a result.

OK here we go again. In the interviews I read Manning didn't sound interested in much of anything. I'm sure he ended up at Tulsa due to the fact that Bill Self coached there. As for his coaching record he doesn't have one. Frank Martin was a HS coach for 15 years and then an assistant on the college level. His record at KSU is an impressive 117-54. He's a Miami native and is of Cuban decent to believe he was going to be in the mid-west for the long term is foolish.

Couldn't find much on Flip Saunders but he didn't set the world on fire when he coached the Sioux Falls Sky Force and at least two of his stops in the NBA (The Minn. Timberwolves and the Wash. Wizards) have been disasters. Each of them were bottom feeders while he coached them. Larry Brown is still 71 and not getting any younger. Would have been in Lincoln for 3 maybe 4 years.

Now for our New HC.

Tim Miles

Coaching career

A successful coach in NAIA (Mayville State) and NCAA Division II (Southwest Minnesota State), Miles took over at North Dakota State in 2001. Shortly thereafter, the school declared its intent to reclassify from Division II and transition to Division I. The school would be ineligible for postseason play in its first five years of the transition, and was initially without a conference. On January 21, 2006, in just the school's second year in Division 1, NDSU pulled off a shocking 62–55 upset of #12 Wisconsin at the Kohl Center. The Bison, starting three redshirt freshman, ended Wisconsin's 27-game home winning streak against non-conference opponents. Miles would be named the Division I Independent Coach of the Year by CBS Sportsline.

The following season the Bison pulled yet another stunning upset. NDSU won at #8 Marquette in the championship game of the school's Blue and Gold Classic 64–60. The Bison would go on to finish 20–8, their best season under Miles. Of note, two years after Miles departed, at which time the school had since gained entry to the Summit League, the Bison made the NCAA Tournament under Miles' top assistant and successor, Saul Phillips, in their first year of eligibility primarily with the same players (as seniors) Miles had recruited and coached during their upsets of Wisconsin and Marquette.

On March 22, 2007, Miles was named head coach at Colorado State, replacing Dale Layer. Miles inherited just two players from the 2007 roster, and struggled to succeed early, going so far as to hold walkon tryouts to fill his first roster. After going winless in conference during his first season, Miles' teams improved gradually in the following years.

In May 2011, after winning 19 games and guiding CSU to its seventh appearance in the NIT during the 2010-11 season, he signed a 5 year contract with Colorado State.

The 2011-12 season saw Miles once again pulling upsets over ranked opponents. On January 28, CSU upset #12 San Diego State 77-60 at Moby Arena, marking the program's first win over a ranked opponent since 2004. Just over a month later the Rams stunned #18 New Mexico 71-63. Then, on February 29, Colorado State rallied from down 15 at half to defeat #17 UNLV 66-59. All three wins came at Moby Arena where CSU went 14-1, including 7-0 against Mountain West teams, the program's first perfect home season in conference play since 1960. Finishing with a 20-11 overall record, 8-6 in the Mountain West, Colorado State was awarded an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament. It was CSU's first trip to the NCAA Tournament since 2003 and their first at-large bid to the field since 1990. The Rams were the 11th seed in the West Regional and fell to 6th seed Murray State.

On March 24, 2012 Miles was named the next head men's basketball coach at the University of Nebraska, replacing Doc Sadler.

Head coaching record

Season

Team

Overall

Conference

Standing

Postseason

1995–1996

Mayville State

17–11

9–3

1st

NAIA–II

1996–1997

Mayville State

18–11

10–2

1st

NAIA–II

Mayville State:

35–22

19–5

1997–1998

SW Minnesota State

16–11

7–5

3rd

1998–1999

SW Minnesota State

16–11

7–5

3rd

1999–2000

SW Minnesota State

18–10

12–6

4th

2000–2001

SW Minnesota State

28–7

17–1

1st

Div. II Elite 8

Southwest Minnesota State:

78–39

43–17

2001–2002

North Dakota St.

11–15

5–13

8th

2002–2003

North Dakota St.

20–11

9–7

4th

2003–2004

North Dakota St.

16–13

8–6

3rd

2004–2005

North Dakota St.

16–12

2005–2006

North Dakota St.

16–12

2006–2007

North Dakota St.

20–8

North Dakota State:

99–71

22–26

Colorado State (Mountain West) (2007–2012)

2007–2008

Colorado State

7–25

0–16

9th

2008–2009

Colorado State

9–22

4–12

8th

2009–2010

Colorado State

16–16

7–9

5th

CBI 1st Round

2010–2011

Colorado State

19–13

9–7

4th

NIT 1st Round

2011–2012

Colorado State

20–12

8–6

4th

NCAA 1st Round

Colorado State:

71–88

28–50

Nebraska (Big Ten) (2012–present)

2012-2013

Nebraska

0-0

0-0

Nebraska:

0-0

0-0

Total:

283–220

First time poster here at Corn Nation - long time Hokie - even longer time Midwesterner - was raised in North Dakota, so I know Nebraska very well. Much respect for Corn Husker fans.

If what Andy Katz reported his true, Nebraska has made a great hire in Tim Miles.

Tim Miles has won in places that are traditionally VERY hard to win at.

Tim Miles started his coaching career at my undergraduate alma mater, Mayville State University (I went to graduate school at Virginia Tech). He had none, zero, nada resources and took the Mayville State University Comets to the NAIA playoffs - he did great at Southwest State University in Minnesota (Now Minnesota State - Southwest) - he did even better at North Dakota State University - helped a D1 program get off the ground (one that was just converting to D1) and get to their first NCAA tournament.

You know his track record at Colorado State - in five years with the Rams, he won more games every year finally taking them to the NCAA tournament - he is, my friends, a program builder.

The advice I have for Corn Husker fans is to be patient with him - because he will make you a winner.

His hire gives me a reason to cheer for Nebraska to do well in the Big 10.

Congratulations on what would be a great hire!!!

It appears he has been successful at every stop. 13 winning seasons to 3 losing [1st season at NDSU, 11-15 -- 1st and 2nd seasons at CSU, 7-25 and 9-22 -- His first season at CSU he had only 2 returning players and held walk on tryouts. He basically put an intramural team on the floor, a problem that was not of his making.]. His overall record is 283 and 220.

T_O_B

G>B>R

T_O there is no reason to rehash credible facts that have been presented in this entire thread supporting logical reasoning to this hire. If the "others" really want to know they can put forth the effort to read the thread.

It is just like Pelini and Taylor discussions there will always be a group the "support the team, but loathe the coach/player that is the guy". These are the ones that also think any amount of money should make the greatest coaches in the world want to come here, which honestly has been a pit where careers can go to die. And you are only fooling ones self if you don't think that there are MANY coaches in America that believe that.

T_O there is no reason to rehash credible facts that have been presented in this entire thread supporting logical reasoning to this hire. If the "others" really want to know they can put forth the effort to read the thread.

It is just like Pelini and Taylor discussions there will always be a group the "support the team, but loathe the coach/player that is the guy". These are the ones that also think any amount of money should make the greatest coaches in the world want to come here, which honestly has been a pit where careers can go to die. And you are only fooling ones self if you don't think that there are MANY coaches in America that believe that.

So true PC. Tell ya what, how about you, me and Comish grab a cold one and refresh ourselver in different cities together?

T_O_B

G>B>R

• Fire 1

Hey Husker fans, I'm not here to start a flame or anything. In fact I'm an NU fan considering all the beat downs you gave CU over the years and I love Lincoln. I just wanted to share a few things about Tim Miles. The guy can coach. You are getting a fun person who will produce if you give him time. The truth though is that he does not recruit well but he somehow gets 110 percent out of all his players every night. You guys obviously have a little bit higher standards so I hope you have patience because you will probably lose at first.

My only complaint is this: He will jump from you guys as soon as he turns your program around (which I firmly believe he will do). A few of you are hoping he will be at Nebraska for decades but he won't. So enjoy the awesome ride you have in front of you but don't fall in love with him because the grass is always greener with this guy no matter what he says and how he acts.

Good luck next year and go Rams!

We would be more then happy to have this problem!!! :D