DiNardo tweet about Burkhead

Personally, I don't think he's a Heisman guy. (big breakaway threat/flash)

I think he is more of a MVP guy. Guess it depends on your definition.

I tend to agree with this. He's definitely the MVP of the Nebraska offense but he's not really a Heisman guy. Here's my short list of Heisman candidates:

Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Jadaveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

Tyron Matthieu, CB, LSU

Marquise Lee, WR, USC

Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

My short list:

some guy from LSU that ESPN likes

some guy from Alabama that ESPN likes

some guy from U$C that ESPN likes

some guy from ND that ESPN likes no, they are on CBS

some guy from Texas that ESPN owns

Your theory involves the general public voting on the Heisman. But sportswriters vote on it, not the ESPN watchers. Sure, writers can be influenced by ESPN but most can make their own decisions.

Comparing Rex Burkhead to Cory Ross...really? Cory finished his career with 2700ish rushing yards...Rex has over 2600 with a year left and two years as the backup. He'll leave this school as a top 5 runningback in school history in terms of production and value to our team.

Rex being touted for Hypsman shows just how low the program has fallen. He is not even a top 50 back, a very small chance at playing at the next level, other than a scout team type player. He is a great kid, with sligtly above average skills and a team that will rank between 25-30 this year. No chance, and should not even be considered. Our talent level is stated by Rex, more over achiever than true National talent. close but no banana

Congratulations. You just summed up your posting status on Huskerboard.

• Fire 1

Comparing Rex Burkhead to Cory Ross...really? Cory finished his career with 2700ish rushing yards...Rex has over 2600 with a year left and two years as the backup. He'll leave this school as a top 5 runningback in school history in terms of production and value to our team.

I think it's a fair comparison. Both were tough-nosed guys who gave it their all on every play and are tremendous examples of those hard-working, blue collar guys that you want everyone on the team to be.

Neither are elite talents but both were productive and should get their shot at the next level.

Cory also had two years as a backup by the way, and they involved a lot fewer carries than Rex's "backup" year(s).

I think it's a fair comparison. Both were tough-nosed guys who gave it their all on every play and are tremendous examples of those hard-working, blue collar guys that you want everyone on the team to be.

Neither are elite talents but both were productive and should get their shot at the next level.

Cory also had two years as a backup by the way, and they involved a lot fewer carries than Rex's "backup" year(s).

They are similar...except that one is way better :P

Personally, I don't think he's a Heisman guy. (big breakaway threat/flash)

I think he is more of a MVP guy. Guess it depends on your definition.

I tend to agree with this. He's definitely the MVP of the Nebraska offense but he's not really a Heisman guy. Here's my short list of Heisman candidates:

Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Jadaveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

Tyron Matthieu, CB, LSU

Marquise Lee, WR, USC

Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

My short list:

some guy from LSU that ESPN likes

some guy from Alabama that ESPN likes

some guy from U$C that ESPN likes

some guy from ND that ESPN likes no, they are on CBS

some guy from Texas that ESPN owns

Your theory involves the general public voting on the Heisman. But sportswriters vote on it, not the ESPN watchers. Sure, writers can be influenced by ESPN but most can make their own decisions.

Mark Ingram's Heisman trophy says no they can't.

He is not Danny Woodhead.

A lot of us had the same comments about Pork Chop, I truly thought he would make it. I see Rex a lot like Cory, who still is my favorite Husker, and Rex is rigth there, but he is not a Hypsman player, will not get any push, as it is required by the University. We seldom promote and it takes heavy promotion.

Fans stating what they believe makes them no less fans, less fanatical possilby. Every year we go through this, hope eternal. For once I would like to see it actually happen, we actually make an improvement, we actually win a game that matters at the end of season, before I see the face palms. Face plants seem to indicate that you know far less than you think you, or at least it has been proven on this board over and over. So face plant away. In the end we will be a 9-4 team, no CCG, no BCS game and no Hypsman. Reality, hard and cold.

My projections of where we have ended up over the last 10 years have been far closer than the majority on here that still see us winning MNC and CCG. We are still a long away from winning anything and players the level of Rex is one of the reasons. We do not get the top running backs, QB's, Dlinemen, Olinemen nor do we get a coaching staff that can produce. If we truly had a Hypsman running back on the roster we might have a shot, but Rex is as close as we get. I think he does all he can do, a step or two more, but there are many running backs out there ahead of him and numerous QB's. Latimore will be the odds on favorite for RB is my guess.

Don't hurt your arm...

If Toby Gerhart can finish 2nd in the Heisman voting, so can Rex Burkhead...

Well, if Rex can lead CFB in rushing, have atleast 1871 yards and a 5.45 ypc avg., score atleast 28 touchdowns and avg 144 yrds per game. All while putting together some highlight runs, and carring NE to 3 huge wins over ranked conference opps, including back to back performances against the #7 & #11 teams where he goes for 223 yrds, a 5.87 ypc avg and 3 tds & 178 yrds a 6.14 ypc avg and 3 tds...

Then yes, he can also be a Heisman finalist.

Keep in mind that Gerhart put up just 21 less yards, nearly 3/4 of a yrd more per carry and 6 more touchdowns just during his conference games compared to Rex's entire season last year. And all of that was good enough to finish second because Richardson, who rushed for 1542, 6.2 ypc & 15tds, was the best offensive player, on the best team, in the best conference in CFB.

As others have said, either you have to be an absolute stud who makes highlight plays and carries your team, or you have to be the best player on the best team. Right now Rex is neither. He is a really good player on a good team, just not elite

• Fire 1

Maybe, but the Heisman is based on a lot of statistics...and pre-season hype is primarily based on the prior year. There are a dozen running backs returning that racked up more yards than Rex. If you go by YPC he didn't even finish in the top 100 rushers last year.

Rex is by far my favorite Husker - but at this point I don't think he deserves to be in the discussion averaging 104 yards a game. He's consistent and reliable, but he's never really ever taken over a game. A Heisman candidate does that 3-4 times a season...minimum.

1. I counted 65 running backs who had a higher per carry average than Rex did which definitely puts him in the "top 100".

2. Rex averaged 104.38 yards per game last season which according to the NCAA was good enough for 19th nationally.

http://web1.ncaa.org...g&div=IA&dest=O

You know if Rex is your favorite player then wouldn't it stand to reason for you to do some actual research to see if what you say is true before you post it?

:dunno

You just like to call me out. I did the research. Your counting sucks. You can't take a data set that includes a top 100 already sorted by YPG, and then re-sort that already filtered list - you've got to have the whole dataset because maybe that guy at #101 is averaging 5 yards a carry but doesn't get into the top 100 YPG. He's not in the top 100 rushers when you sort by YPC per cfbstats.com. #99 averages 5.09 YPC. If you want to limit it to running backs, or maybe guys with more than 100 carries or something you might find him where you decided to stick him...who knows how you plan to twist it to find and argument with me. And were you not able to count 12 or so people coming back ahead of him? I don't care if he is 19...only 1 guy wins the heisman which means he's got a dozen RBs ahead of him already.

You know, if you are going to argue with me wouldn't it stand to reason for you to do some actual research to see if what you say is true before you post it?

As others have said, either you have to be an absolute stud who makes highlight plays and carries your team, or you have to be the best player on the best team. Right now Rex is neither. He is a really good player on a good team, just not elite

This pretty much sums it up. Only thing I would add is that the Hypsman is for the "best" QB/RB/WR. Players who are DBs/LBs might get an invite to watch the ceremony, but have no chance of winning. Those players who start the plays with their hand on the ground need not apply.

Maybe, but the Heisman is based on a lot of statistics...and pre-season hype is primarily based on the prior year. There are a dozen running backs returning that racked up more yards than Rex. If you go by YPC he didn't even finish in the top 100 rushers last year.

Rex is by far my favorite Husker - but at this point I don't think he deserves to be in the discussion averaging 104 yards a game. He's consistent and reliable, but he's never really ever taken over a game. A Heisman candidate does that 3-4 times a season...minimum.

1. I counted 65 running backs who had a higher per carry average than Rex did which definitely puts him in the "top 100".

2. Rex averaged 104.38 yards per game last season which according to the NCAA was good enough for 19th nationally.

http://web1.ncaa.org...g&div=IA&dest=O

You know if Rex is your favorite player then wouldn't it stand to reason for you to do some actual research to see if what you say is true before you post it?

You just like to call me out. I did the research. Your counting sucks. You can't take a data set that includes a top 100 already sorted by YPG, and then re-sort that already filtered list - you've got to have the whole dataset because maybe that guy at #101 is averaging 5 yards a carry but doesn't get into the top 100 YPG. He's not in the top 100 rushers when you sort by YPC per cfbstats.com. #99 averages 5.09 YPC. If you want to limit it to running backs, or maybe guys with more than 100 carries or something you might find him where you decided to stick him...who knows how you plan to twist it to find and argument with me. And were you not able to count 12 or so people coming back ahead of him? I don't care if he is 19...only 1 guy wins the heisman which means he's got a dozen RBs ahead of him already.

You know, if you are going to argue with me wouldn't it stand to reason for you to do some actual research to see if what you say is true before you post it?

I used statistics directly from the NCAA and you used statistics from cfbstats.com and I'm the one "twisting" the stats to arrive at some ridiculous conclusion? You do realize that the statistics from the NCAA website are the official stats right? Citing stats from cfb.com or what ever it is is the equivalent of citing wikipedia. You need to realize that I'm not calling you out for sport or trying to hound you because I don't even know you. I'm replying to what you posted because I disgree with part or all of what you said. I do the same thing meaning respond to posts anyone else if I feel like I have something to say. And when people who agree or disagree with me respond to my posts I don't get all pissy. If you can't handle anyone questioning you then that's your problem. You need to come to the realization that opinions running counter to yours aren't necessarily attacking you. I have no problem with you or anyone else and I thoroughly enjoy a conversation even if we happen to disagree because we're all presumably Husker fans here. And if you'd actually post something that I agree with I would respond to that as well so please drop the persecution syndrome.