Wins over ranked teams in the last decade...

Regardless, Carl was billing the entire line as very deep. Several times.

According to "insiders" Carl was half-assing it alot last year, and nobody is sad to see him leave town.

There was a lot of turmoil going on. Carl wasn't focused. Maybe a change of leadership will improve things.

According to "insiders" Carl was half-assing it alot last year, and nobody is sad to see him leave town.

There was a lot of turmoil going on. Carl wasn't focused. Maybe a change of leadership will improve things.

Yeah, that seems to be the word. I wonder how much his personal issues affected his ability to coach the D. With Bo spending more time with the O, it definitely could have been a major issue.

except last year remember how deep we were on the D-Line at this point? that was going to be our strength. we're always deep this time of year. so is every other team. i just can't judge this team right now - or get hopeful for this season based on something like that. it just changes to quickly - and under Pelini it seems to be an almost every-year thing when it comes to the trenches.

i do think this offseason is a little rougher than most. at least for me. there were a few times last season where i realized what it must feel like to be a KU football fan. it was that bad. that embarrassing. but i don't think we can judge this team or Pelini too much until after this season - and maybe not even until after the next. Until then it's just all talk and speculation. The "process" he'd been working on had to seriously be altered the last couple years with the move to the B1G. we'll see where it leads us...some will be full of hope and faith, others like myself skeptics. but the games will still be played on saturdays, and the world goes round. ahh the off-season.

Well, "maybe" the Dline but losing Crick basically all year took a lot of wind out of that sail.

But the Oline was, as usual, on a huge band-aid and needing walkons everywhere. Some of the games we even had to start two or three walkons IIRC. So it's reasonable to say that situation should start to improve this year. Now, is that enough of a difference to project we'll see better results? Maybe. I don't know. I like our chances though.....

Choi and Long? The same 2 walk-ons that are likely to be starters this year?(Long was a walkon, right?)

except last year remember how deep we were on the D-Line at this point? that was going to be our strength. we're always deep this time of year. so is every other team. i just can't judge this team right now - or get hopeful for this season based on something like that. it just changes to quickly - and under Pelini it seems to be an almost every-year thing when it comes to the trenches.

i do think this offseason is a little rougher than most. at least for me. there were a few times last season where i realized what it must feel like to be a KU football fan. it was that bad. that embarrassing. but i don't think we can judge this team or Pelini too much until after this season - and maybe not even until after the next. Until then it's just all talk and speculation. The "process" he'd been working on had to seriously be altered the last couple years with the move to the B1G. we'll see where it leads us...some will be full of hope and faith, others like myself skeptics. but the games will still be played on saturdays, and the world goes round. ahh the off-season.

Well, "maybe" the Dline but losing Crick basically all year took a lot of wind out of that sail.

But the Oline was, as usual, on a huge band-aid and needing walkons everywhere. Some of the games we even had to start two or three walkons IIRC. So it's reasonable to say that situation should start to improve this year. Now, is that enough of a difference to project we'll see better results? Maybe. I don't know. I like our chances though.....

Choi and Long? The same 2 walk-ons that are likely to be starters this year?(Long was a walkon, right?)

Last year we started 3 former walk-ons along the OL Caputo, Choi, and Long.

Last year we started 3 former walk-ons along the OL Caputo, Choi, and Long.

My point being that we are again likely to have at least 2 walk-ons starting on the Oline.

My point being that we are again likely to have at least 2 walk-ons starting on the Oline.

If they're the best players then I have no problem with that. Choi and Long played really well for the most part last season.

I agree with you. I was responding to the other poster who seemed to be stating the O-line wasn't good because 2 or 3 walk-on's were starting and that the O-line would improve this year. Even though 2 or 3 walk-on's are again likely to be starting.

If they're the best players then I have no problem with that. Choi and Long played really well for the most part last season.

I agree with you. I was responding to the other poster who seemed to be stating the O-line wasn't good because 2 or 3 walk-on's were starting and that the O-line would improve this year. Even though 2 or 3 walk-on's are again likely to be starting.

:thumbs

When you have three walkons starting at a place like Nebraska there is a problem. Many possibilites. How many at Bama, LSU, USC, Oregon, Texas, Michigan, Ohio State and the list goes on.

Also I would like to see where the teams we beat were ranked at the end of the season. Means a lot more over all.

Oh, well, that's another story. I don't take coachspeak that seriously if my own expectations are different, since coaches will always / should always be positive. Like the "5 times better" defense talk.

When you have three walkons starting at a place like Nebraska there is a problem. Many possibilites. How many at Bama, LSU, USC, Oregon, Texas, Michigan, Ohio State and the list goes on.

Also I would like to see where the teams we beat were ranked at the end of the season. Means a lot more over all.

Disagree incredibly with the bold. I'd like to think that the rankings after about week 6 or 7 accurately reflect where the team is at the moment. If the rankings at the end of the season were the be-all end-all to how a team finished, then why even both releasing rankings any other week? Because only the rankings at the end matter? I will agree with anyone who says the pre-season and early season rankings are pretty much useless. But you get to a certain point in the year and the rankings start to accurately reflect the caliber of the teams in the nation. So to dismiss a win over the #9 team in the nation over halfway through the year because, "well look where they ended up." is complete crap because they were the #9 team in the nation when we played them.

So many things can happen between when a game against a ranked opponent is played and the end of the season. Teams aren't the same.

Most of the teams we beat ended up not ranked or just barely and at the end of the season we were behind them it seemed to me.. Do you really think if Michigan State had not played so many top teams in a row we would have beaten them. Possible I guess.

Walk-ons starting and having important roles at NU is nothing new or anything that necessarily notes a problem. I'm not here to completely discount the importance of recruiting high caliber players, but you do that and then you also have your walkons. Everyone is a person, even the touted recruits, the person who works the hardest and plays the best is the best. How is this a problem? Maybe at other schools, but here walkons are legit. If anything it ensures those highly touted recruits stay motivated so as to see the field. So much of the walk-on hate is really misguided and I think some of it comes from a video game bred mentality that a walkon can only be a 60-70s rating player or whatever. Everyone remembers O' Hanlon getting burned, but is quick to forget others like Dennard when they mess up.

Most of the teams we beat ended up not ranked or just barely and at the end of the season we were behind them it seemed to me.. Do you really think if Michigan State had not played so many top teams in a row we would have beaten them. Possible I guess.

Yes because it was home and we matched up well with them.