B1G and Conference expansion?

Ten? Ah man that's tough, I haven't ever thought of ten but since you put me on the spot I guess...

1. Norte Dame

2. Missouri

3. Kansas

4. Oklahoma

5. Kansas State

6. Pittsburgh

7. Syracuse

8. Iowa State

9. Virginia Tech

10. Georgia Tech

That's without considering plausibility or taking into account the recruits adding a team may or may not give us an "in" with...and like I said, I've only really ever given thought to the top three or so.

Feel free to rip and tear at it, to each his own I suppose.

Even considering adding half of those schools would have the Wiscy Board of Regents threatening to sentence Delany to death by thrown batteries.

Yep chuckleshuffle

1. Norte Dame

2. Missouri

3. Kansas

4. Oklahoma

5. Kansas State

6. Pittsburgh

7. Syracuse

8. Iowa State

9. Virginia Tech

10. Georgia Tech

Don't know if you were just throwing ten teams together or what, but I would think that Missouri isn't plausible anymore (two buyouts in a decade? And people thought CU Athletics were under water...).

What I do think is interesting about your list is Oklahoma. Considering Delaney has said he wants expansion as a contiguous footprint, Oklahoma *would* be contiguous if Kansas is tapped...only problem is the bought and paid for State Legislature that is squarely in T. Boones Farms Pickens' pocket--the state legislature has to agree to let OU and OSU split, and that won't happen while T. Boones Farms Pickens (and only T. Boones Farms Pickens) is pumping dirty oil money into Stillwater.

And for folks that think that Georgia Tech is off the table...remember that there were rumors from the Florida papers that the Big 10 was talking with them for expansion (right after Nebraska was accepted into the B1G). While Ga. Tech is outside the B1G's contiguous footprint, and these rumors did flame out some time ago...but if the B1G wants a 'southern presence' that badly, there are plenty of worse schools to go after than Georgia Tech.

It would never happen but imagine if the BIG added Notre Dame and Kansas in the west and North Carolina and Duke in the East. It wouldn't do squat for football but it would be an unreal basketball conference with great academics added. That conference bball tournament would be insane.

The first thing that popped into my head is "My god, that basketball conference is full of stars." (to rip on 2001).

The greatness of such a basketball conference would rip open the Earth and open the seven seals by itself, thus ensuring mankind's annihilation.

Duke still sucks, though.

I still think if Kansas plays their cards right and the BIG ever goes to 16, they could get in. KU does have basketball. They also have academics. While they don't poses the desirable football history they would bring a decent number of TV sets to the BIG footprint. They would also have all the western BIG schools very much wanting them in the BIG for one more easy travel destination. If ND were to ever join and then the BIG goes east with two other schools, I think it would give KU a legitimate chance to be that 16th school in a 16 team BIG. While I don't see this happening in the near future, the BIG may have to move to expand if the SEC and other conferences go to 16 teams and make that part of the criteria of an automatic playoff qualifier.

I still think if Kansas plays their cards right and the BIG ever goes to 16, they could get in. KU does have basketball. They also have academics. While they don't poses the desirable football history they would bring a decent number of TV sets to the BIG footprint. They would also have all the western BIG schools very much wanting them in the BIG for one more easy travel destination. If ND were to ever join and then the BIG goes east with two other schools, I think it would give KU a legitimate chance to be that 16th school in a 16 team BIG. While I don't see this happening in the near future, the BIG may have to move to expand if the SEC and other conferences go to 16 teams and make that part of the criteria of an automatic playoff qualifier.

I'm guessing the biggest thing with Kansas would be bringing Kansas State with them. I have no idea if there is that loyalty there between the two schools, but I could see that being a stipulation. Kansas State has had a few decent years in some sports, but they are usually not that much to talk about so I can't see them being that attractive to the B1G. Does anyone know if Kansas would put in this stipulation if they were invited to join?

1. Norte Dame

2. Missouri

3. Kansas

4. Oklahoma

5. Kansas State

6. Pittsburgh

7. Syracuse

8. Iowa State

9. Virginia Tech

10. Georgia Tech

Don't know if you were just throwing ten teams together or what, but I would think that Missouri isn't plausible anymore (two buyouts in a decade? And people thought CU Athletics were under water...).

I believe hearing that the SEC has no buyout to leave the conference. I think I heard it over the radio, don't remember reading it anywhere and I have no link. Makes me wonder if Mizzou could be on the table, but that bridge is likely burnt.

I'm guessing the biggest thing with Kansas would be bringing Kansas State with them. I have no idea if there is that loyalty there between the two schools, but I could see that being a stipulation. Kansas State has had a few decent years in some sports, but they are usually not that much to talk about so I can't see them being that attractive to the B1G. Does anyone know if Kansas would put in this stipulation if they were invited to join?

When the Big12 was set to explode rumor was Kansas was unattached to KSU, no T.Boone to save KSU. Kansas was rumored to be in talks with the PAC12, BigEast, and ACC. Those were the rumors any way.

When Syracuse and Pitt bailed for the ACC how much did we hear about it beforehand? I know that I hadn't heard much of anything, they never announced that they'd been talking, negotiating or feeling their way through a deal in public, all of the sudden it just broke...that's what I think may happen with FSU and CU, if it does happen. The ACC is pretty good about keeping things in house and the Big XII wants some help badly. Both of those schools should be, and in the case of FSU are, pissed about this new TV deal catering to Tobacco Road. I could see them jumping ship.

My absolute #1 choice to join the B1G would be Oklahoma, and we could also add OkSt as well. Both really good schools with a lot of tradition. From there, I have no idea. I would think that Boise potentially could fit in the B1G if they get rid of the smurf turf, but I don't know what to think about Boise joining, and I'm sure a lot of B1G faithful wouldn't like it.

My absolute #1 choice to join the B1G would be Oklahoma, and we could also add OkSt as well. Both really good schools with a lot of tradition. From there, I have no idea. I would think that Boise potentially could fit in the B1G if they get rid of the smurf turf, but I don't know what to think about Boise joining, and I'm sure a lot of B1G faithful wouldn't like it.

0% chance the Big Ten takes Okie State. Oklahoma is already pushing it.

Oklahoma is an interesting candidate, they have great history in Football and Basketball but when it comes to the other criteria we, collectively, have seemed to deem important... geographic proximity, cultural similarity and academics... they fall woefully short. I put them on my top 10 simply because there aren't any great options after the first three, and they'd be a package deal with Oklahoma State which has all of the problems OU has and less of an upside.

Anyhow this FSU thing seems to be picking up steam. To quote Andy Haggard, Chairman of Florida State's Board of Trustees: <- (he's kind of a big deal) read more in the link Woody posted.

“It’s mind-boggling and shocking. How can the ACC give up third tier rights for football but keep them for basketball?… It continues the perception that the ACC favors the North Carolina schools.”

On the popularized notion that FSU should stay in the ACC because of Academics:

"No FSU graduate puts on his resume or interviews for a job saying they are in the same conference as Duke and Virginia. Conference affiliation really has no impact on academics."

and then there's this...

“How do you not look into that option? On behalf of the Board of Trustees I can say that unanimously we would be in favor of seeing what the Big 12 might have to offer. We have to do what is in Florida State’s best interest… With the SEC making the kind of money it does it’s time to act. You can’t sit back and be content in the ACC. This is a different time financially. This isn’t 10-15 years ago when money was rolling in.”

FSU Coach Jimbo Fischer after being asked about the Seminoles moving to the Big 12:

"I think you always have to look out there to see what’s best for Florida State. If that [jumping to the Big 12] is what’s best for Florida State,then that’s what we need to do."

So yea...this is looking more and more like a possibility, at least with FSU. I haven't heard much about Clemson as of late but I can only imagine its a similar scenario, at least in their frustration with Tobacco Road. Apparently FSU moving also brings Miami into play which I find interesting considering Miami is a private school and thus the State Legislature dynamic won't be there. There's also noise coming out of Louisville.

Should be another fun Summer... :ahhhhhhhh

Overall I think the Big Ten has done one of the better jobs navigating this realignment maelstrom. While I personally wish we could have added both Missouri and Notre Dame that probably was not feasible and at least we haven't embarrassed ourselves by overreaching or picking up teams that don't fit the Conference at all...like just about everyone else save for maybe the SEC.

I think FSU is gone to the Big12 along with Clemson or Lousiville.

The B1G seems to want to keep a continious geographic footprint. Should this be of any importance at all? Should the B1G have interest in FSU and Clemson?

I don't think the B1G should, but just got me thinking.

Its important if you want to create a cohesive conference for the long haul and want to protect yourself from raiding. It helps to build camaraderie, develop rivalries and just creates a better experience for fans because its easier to travel and you're more likely to interact with fans of your conference peers.

I think its wise for us to maintain the geographic continuity of the Big Ten, that along with our history and the CIC helps to make us one of the most stable conferences in the country despite what some Penn State fans might rave about in their deep dark corners of the internet.

There's nothing wrong with looking at possibilities, we'd be stupid not to but I agree that its probably not worth it to pursue FSU or Clemson. We need to keep up on these things because even if the Big Ten isn't directly involved in them, these moves have the potential to affect us. For example I think Texas A&M to the SEC will ultimately hurt us because now Texas kids are going to be interested in many more schools. That market is about to get much more competitive and some Big Ten teams are really going to feel the squeeze, like Nebraska which has twice as many Texas kids as any other single Big Ten School.

The impact of FSU, CU or U of L moving to the Big Twelve is a little bit harder to predict. If you read some other boards, especially West Virginia sites, you see people hyping up what they think will be a rejuvenated conference. Some guys even claim it will be better than the SEC....I just don't know.

It would never happen but imagine if the BIG added Notre Dame and Kansas in the west and North Carolina and Duke in the East. It wouldn't do squat for football but it would be an unreal basketball conference with great academics added. That conference bball tournament would be insane.

If Notre Dame continues to drag their feet... go after Kentucky. That's a school that I've always thought could be a possibility to the B1G, but never heard much from anyone else.

If Notre Dame continues to drag their feet... go after Kentucky. That's a school that I've always thought could be a possibility to the B1G, but never heard much from anyone else.

Kentucky doesn't have the academic credentials to warrant an invite. They wouldn't leave the SEC anyway.