B1G and Conference expansion?

Joe, since you seem to be the only ND poster on here I'll direct this crazy question at you, and please forgive me but...if Notre Dame had to join a conference, which conference would you like to see them join?

Ideally I'd want a union of the independents from the 1980s where the teams agree to patch the holes in the schedule with each other but mostly keep their own revenue. But in reality,

I think the ACC is the 'best fit' as the expression goes. They have great academics who are our "aspirational peers" to use another buzzword. We've got rivalries. If you believe conference membership helps recruiting inside it, then we could get more help from Florida to Virginia, which has a lot of talent and population growth. We have no local recruiting base sorry Northwest Indiana so if we're to be regionalized it had better be where we can get talent. The basketball and olympic sports would not suffer at all in the ACC.

As much as I loathe the serial fraud by their referees, 2nd place goes to the hodgepodge Big East. With Navy joining we keep our one enemy, one friend, one rival [Michigan, Navy, Southern Cal) and still play a 9 game conference schedule. Since the conference scatters itself across the US we could soon be recruiting in Guam. As the lone power, we retain our new tradition of playing down to the level of the competition.

The Big12 I didn't know much about until I started reading this board. It sounds like an institutional marriage from Hell.

The criteria above explain why we should stay out of the Big10. But I wish you all the best of luck here.

I get why you like Tech but I don't think they do well in the Big Ten, and I think we can make more beneficial moves...

What's more beneficial to the Big Ten than promising Georgia & Virginia mothers the opportunity to see there sons play at home?

OSU, Wisky, PSU,etc will be able to attract more southern talent. GIT is a top-10 Public University and also an AAU member. Atlanta is a borderline top-10 media market and an attractive city to visit.

I think they fit the Big Ten profile of Big,Public University very well.

I dunno man I just don't see Atlanta or Georgia kids going with Tech, no matter what conference they're in.

well, It's more about Georgia kids choosing US over Tech but I think they have potential and that is all you can ask for except getting a homerun addition like Texas. GIT did get Calvin Johnson over UGA.

I dunno man I just don't see Atlanta or Georgia kids going with Tech, no matter what conference they're in.

well, It's more about Georgia kids choosing US over Tech but I think they have potential and that is all you can ask for except getting a homerun addition like Texas. GIT did get Calvin Johnson over UGA.

I get what youre saying, if we expand again and if we can't do better, Tech would make the list for sure. I just don't like the idea of adding them because I think we can pull a more impressive school.

I get what youre saying, if we expand again and if we can't do better, Tech would make the list for sure. I just don't like the idea of adding them because I think we can pull a more impressive school.

What would be your top 10?

Ten? Ah man that's tough, I haven't ever thought of ten but since you put me on the spot I guess...

1. Norte Dame

2. Missouri

3. Kansas

4. Oklahoma

5. Kansas State

6. Pittsburgh

7. Syracuse

8. Iowa State

9. Virginia Tech

10. Georgia Tech

That's without considering plausibility or taking into account the recruits adding a team may or may not give us an "in" with...and like I said, I've only really ever given thought to the top three or so.

Feel free to rip and tear at it, to each his own I suppose.

The Big Ten should go after semi-southern teams.

If Clemson and FSU leave the ACC that leaves the Techs there for the taking. GIT wants into the SEC but the feelings aren't mutual.

Big Ten should take GIT and VaTech and if at all possible UVA(though they will probably stick with their long time ACC friends Duke and Carolina).

2 schools in top 8 football states. Only thing that would be better is Texas. Virginia is southern but it's not really deep south anymore. Atlanta is about as "northern" as it gets in the deep south.

Mods - please ban Woody Hayes 1951 NOW

If Clemson and FSU leave the ACC that leaves the Techs there for the taking. GIT wants into the SEC but the feelings aren't mutual.

Big Ten should take GIT and VaTech and if at all possible UVA(though they will probably stick with their long time ACC friends Duke and Carolina).

2 schools in top 8 football states. Only thing that would be better is Texas. Virginia is southern but it's not really deep south anymore. Atlanta is about as "northern" as it gets in the deep south.

lol

come on dude, you wouldn't want a castrated Texas in the Big Ten? They'd have no power when they don't have their little Texas yes men surrounding them(Baylor, Tech,etc)

They can push around Baylor and Kansas but there is way too much political power in the Big Ten for them to handle.

lol

come on dude, you wouldn't want a castrated Texas in the Big Ten? They'd have no power when they don't have their little Texas yes men surrounding them(Baylor, Tech,etc)

They can push around Baylor and Kansas but there is way too much political power in the Big Ten for them to handle.

When you put it this way, then Texas wouldn't be so bad. I think I developed a dislike of Texas when we all joined the Big 12. I didn't think about them that much before. It would be nice to see Texas in a conference where they don't have all the power! I still don't want them in the B1G though. I don't even really want Notre Dame because they just haven't shown that much interest. I would rather add a team or two that really wants to be in the conference and also brings a little bit of clout, is that too much to ask?!

I do think going south is obviously the way to go partly because of many obvious reasons. I see teams like Virginia, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Duke, North Carolina etc as teams that would be good academic schools as well as bringing in some kind of athletic success to the table. Whether or not those teams would be "fits" into the conference or would even be interested it another story. Another team that could be interested that fit those criteria would be Kansas.

Ten? Ah man that's tough, I haven't ever thought of ten but since you put me on the spot I guess...

1. Norte Dame

2. Missouri

3. Kansas

4. Oklahoma

5. Kansas State

6. Pittsburgh

7. Syracuse

8. Iowa State

9. Virginia Tech

10. Georgia Tech

That's without considering plausibility or taking into account the recruits adding a team may or may not give us an "in" with...and like I said, I've only really ever given thought to the top three or so.

Feel free to rip and tear at it, to each his own I suppose.

Even considering adding half of those schools would have the Wiscy Board of Regents threatening to sentence Delany to death by thrown batteries.

It would never happen but imagine if the BIG added Notre Dame and Kansas in the west and North Carolina and Duke in the East. It wouldn't do squat for football but it would be an unreal basketball conference with great academics added. That conference bball tournament would be insane.