The more advanced technology in phones like the LTE do work better, more efficiently and more powerfully than what the iPhone can. The gig of ram and significantly more powerful processor do cause a notable difference.

I'm not doubting your experience, Enhance.

How do they work better? How do they work more efficiently?

What I'm getting at is that if the end package (hardware and software combined) doesn't produce a better product than I don't care how many cores or G's the phone has. If I don't notice the difference in web browsing, youtube, checking emails, etc. I simply don't care. In fact, I'd say it's roughly similar to two phones with nearly identical performance with the first having a number 3 printed inside the case and the second having a number 6 printed inside the case. Sure . . . the 6 is bigger . . . but if they perform the same . . . so what?

Again, it's clear that you know more about these phones than I do. I'm not arguing against that. Where we disagree, I think, is whether some arbitrary hardware specification matters as much as what it's like to actually use the phone.

Me and my wife have only owned nothing but Android phones. I have never experienced any crashing in the phone's OS system. I wouldn't change to an iphone for anything. I mean heck apple doesn't even ship to our men and women overseas. I can't seem to bring myself to own one because of that one simple reason.

Me and my wife have only owned nothing but Android phones. I have never experienced any crashing in the phone's OS system. I wouldn't change to an iphone for anything. I mean heck apple doesn't even ship to our men and women overseas. I can't seem to bring myself to own one because of that one simple reason.

Lot's (most?) of tech companies won't ship directly to APO/FPO. I applaud your conviction if you don't buy from Apple, Wal-Mart, Amazon, HP, Microsoft, etc.

I think this is where I differ from the Android owning iPhone haters (and the iPhone fanboys . . . for that matter). I can easily see myself switching to an Android phone. When my contract is up (next spring) I'll start shopping and see which phone that I like the best. If it's an iPhone, again: awesome. If it's an Android phone: awesome.

What I won't do is make statements about how I would NEVER EVER EVER buy those super crappy stupid Android phones or how I hate how people think the iPhone is so great when it's like . . . totally the worst phone ever made.

Like I said earlier: go try them out. Hold it. Check your email. Make a call. Text a friend. Browse the internet. Go with whatever phone does those things best.

timely thread for me my verion contract is up in 2 months. So what I am hearing that the umlimited data plan is done for verizon? I am not, I mean not, going to pay anymore then what I am paying. I really just want email capabilites on my phone. Having easy access to facebook and other apps is going to get me fired. Although I would like a scoremobile and my horiscope app- but that is it. and maybe a map app. What carriers and/or plans does anyone suggest? I have a kindle fire, a laptop, and husband has an iphone, so i really want to scale back.

I've had a droid 2 for nearly 2 years and its hanging in there. I am a little unhappy with the music because there are extra steps to downloading from itunes.

I can comfortably say there is a very good chance I will never buy an Apple product. Not because I think their products are necessarily "bad," but because I despise Apple, their practices, and their policies. The simple fact is that there are always options that work nearly as good or better than Apple products, and it will always continue to be that way from this point on, so I don't ever see myself having a reason to go with them.

krc1995, how much data does your family currently use per month? It doesn't sound like much? My understanding (though I haven't looked closely into it yet) was that families who don't use a lot of data can actually save money with the new plans from Verizon.

Yeah, give it a look, you never know. From the little I gathered, families with multiple phones/tablets that don't chew through a ton of data per month will actually benefit. I'm not thrilled with the changes from my own perspective, but Verizon is by far the best option around here, and the majority of my own data usage is done through wifi these days anyway.

The more advanced technology in phones like the LTE do work better, more efficiently and more powerfully than what the iPhone can. The gig of ram and significantly more powerful processor do cause a notable difference.

I'm not doubting your experience, Enhance.

How do they work better? How do they work more efficiently?

What I'm getting at is that if the end package (hardware and software combined) doesn't produce a better product than I don't care how many cores or G's the phone has. If I don't notice the difference in web browsing, youtube, checking emails, etc. I simply don't care. In fact, I'd say it's roughly similar to two phones with nearly identical performance with the first having a number 3 printed inside the case and the second having a number 6 printed inside the case. Sure . . . the 6 is bigger . . . but if they perform the same . . . so what?

Again, it's clear that you know more about these phones than I do. I'm not arguing against that. Where we disagree, I think, is whether some arbitrary hardware specification matters as much as what it's like to actually use the phone.

I still must be misunderstanding what you're saying. I think what I'm saying is pretty self explanatory.

For example, the significantly more powerful LTE processor and ram upgrade make the LTE more capable of handling a lot of apps at once, loading those apps quicker, allowing your phone to do multiple processes without losing speed, faster app creation tools, etc. Those upgrade specs do produce a better, more powerful, more acute cell phone. I'm not sure I can be any more blunt than that. Many Android phones work faster, are more powerful, can do tasks more efficiently and are way more cost effective than the iPhone.

Web browsing and youtube has a lot to do with your internet connection in alignment with the phone specs. Many Android phones work the same if not better than the iPhone in this realm, including cheaper Androids. I'll go back to the computer example - I can drop $3,000 on a Mac and $3,000 on a PC, and that PC will do most everything faster and more efficiently than the Mac, because the parts aren't anywhere near as expensive. You're not just buying an extra letter on the name of a processor - you're buying better hardware that will give you a better performance. In the case of the 4s vs. the LTE, the LTE costs the same and does everything better. There are other Android phones like my incredible 2 which cost the same as the 4s and I believe works better.

Lot's (most?) of tech companies won't ship directly to APO/FPO. I applaud your conviction if you don't buy from Apple, Wal-Mart, Amazon, HP, Microsoft, etc.

I think this is where I differ from the Android owning iPhone haters (and the iPhone fanboys . . . for that matter). I can easily see myself switching to an Android phone. When my contract is up (next spring) I'll start shopping and see which phone that I like the best. If it's an iPhone, again: awesome. If it's an Android phone: awesome.

What I won't do is make statements about how I would NEVER EVER EVER buy those super crappy stupid Android phones or how I hate how people think the iPhone is so great when it's like . . . totally the worst phone ever made.

Like I said earlier: go try them out. Hold it. Check your email. Make a call. Text a friend. Browse the internet. Go with whatever phone does those things best.

I agree that people should try them out before deciding.

I still must be misunderstanding what you're saying. I think what I'm saying is pretty self explanatory.

For example, the significantly more powerful LTE processor and ram upgrade make the LTE more capable of handling a lot of apps at once, loading those apps quicker, allowing your phone to do multiple processes without losing speed, faster app creation tools, etc. Those upgrade specs do produce a better, more powerful, more acute cell phone. I'm not sure I can be any more blunt than that. Many Android phones work faster, are more powerful, can do tasks more efficiently and are way more cost effective than the iPhone.

Web browsing and youtube has a lot to do with your internet connection in alignment with the phone specs. Many Android phones work the same if not better than the iPhone in this realm, including cheaper Androids. I'll go back to the computer example - I can drop $3,000 on a Mac and $3,000 on a PC, and that PC will do most everything faster and more efficiently than the Mac, because the parts aren't anywhere near as expensive. You're not just buying an extra letter on the name of a processor - you're buying better hardware that will give you a better performance. In the case of the 4s vs. the LTE, the LTE costs the same and does everything better. There are other Android phones like my incredible 2 which cost the same as the 4s and I believe works better.

My main point (if it can be called that) is that some people seem to fixate on arbitrary hardware specs. That seems to me like an odd way to choose a phone.

The three most important selling points for me in a phone are (in no particular order):

Battery

Display

Operating System

Why? Because I use my phone for texting, phone calls, email, various news apps, the HuskerBoard app, facebook, and music. I'll occasionally take pictures with it but I generally use and prefer a real camera.

I don't do graphics intensive games. I don't really browse the web on my phone often. I don't encode videos, edit photos, etc.

The focus on processors seems silly to me. I would guess that roughly 75% or more of smart phone users have similar usage habits. For them, and for me, a dual core vs. a quad core is an argument for people who either 1. sell electronics, or 2. who get some sort of satisfaction from knowing that their phone has 1 more core than most others. It just doesn't affect every day usage.

Use whatever you want, people. :thumbs

• 3 weeks later...