Quote from callahans press conference

I think it is funny that when a player comes out in support of any of these coaches the "What else are they going to say?" card gets played. Maybe just maybe some of these guys actually like and believe in the coaching staff. Why is that so hard for people to believe? Look at what the two talking do every weekend. They go out and give it everything they have.

You do the best you can with the players you've got

IMO, sounds like he's blaming the players again. <_<

Or he is stating the obvious. You go out with your team every week and try to win games. That's all there is to it. Yea, people like you will "read between the lines" because it fits your ideology. Nothing new here.

Agreed, makes no sense. He knows nothing about our tradition and how we are and I personally think that effects this team a bunch. They have no drive in him and his ways.

Yea, because an "outsider" can't know anything about Nebraska. You have to be from here. It's like a cult really. One, that to be a member means you can tell people that they can't be this and they can't be that. Also, you have to leave the state no more than once a year. We can't be having other states influencing our highly moral state that was clearly chosen by God to play option football. Most importantly, by NO means must a coach from outside the cult be allowed to coach. If this does happen, the earth will open and the state will fall into the pits of hell!!

......Or something like that

:sarcasm If you are a little slow on the uptake.

Linebacker Corey McKeon rushed to Callahan's defense.

"He takes too much blame," McKeon said. "It's on the players just as much as it's on any coach. We're all accountable. Personally, I can't stand when Coach sits there and takes (blame) for things that he shouldn't. The players are making the mistakes."

Quarterback Zac Taylor said the heat Callahan is taking is "ridiculous."

"Coach can't play the game for us," Taylor said. "He's putting us in the right situations and telling us what's going to happen. It's the players not getting the job done. If he's under fire, it should be us under fire. We're behind him 100 percent."

You forgot to add these quotes there former. :wtf

Can you honestly say you are surprised? This is about politic's man, not football. You have to present only what supports your party :thumbs

Callahan knows as much about NU tradition as anyone. Many people push it in his face daily so he has to assimilate some of it.

My son was not born or raised in NE and one of my coworkers wasn't either. They still love the Huskers so any theory about not being born and raised RED is colander fodder :lol: (cooking reference).

If players "jump ship" more power to them. Only players committed to NU through thin and flush, hell or highwater need to play for Big Red.

If only the players that back BC talk then the players that don't like the program should speak up before they leave not after. Sour grapes are bitter no matter when you bite them. Real men on the team should speak up not submit meekly to the dictatorial rule of BC if that's how they really feel and how the program truly is.

"He takes too much blame," McKeon said. "It's on the players just as much as it's on any coach. We're all accountable. Personally, I can't stand when Coach sits there and takes (blame) for things that he shouldn't. The players are making the mistakes."

"Coach can't play the game for us," Taylor said. "He's putting us in the right situations and telling us what's going to happen. It's the players not getting the job done. If he's under fire, it should be us under fire. We're behind him 100 percent."

Can you honestly say you are surprised? This is about politic's man, not football. You have to present only what supports your party :thumbs

No, not at all, par for the course. I am just glad that the vocal leaders of the team are taking some responsibility for the team's play. It's not ALL coaching and it's not ALL the players. I think the way the team plays on saturday will show the fabric of this squad.

Gimme a break.

When people say they aren't surprised the players are supporting Callahan, that doesn't mean we think they are doing so without sincerity. YES, these players want Callahan to succeed. They spend every day with the guy and have fought with blood, sweat, and tears. There's going to be a bond there. No team that is about to lose their coach wants it to happen except in extreme circumstances like Arizona a few years ago. Players fight for their coach. That's expected. That doesn't mean the players are right. Callahan was a big fat mistake from day 1. You can debate whether the option was outdated, but we went to the other extreme, and that was stupid. No, a coach doesn't HAVE to have ties to Nebraska, but there are plenty of GOOD coaches out there who would have at least held more respect for Nebraska tradition than Callahan. Heck, look at Pederson. He's a Nebraska alum, and he's trashed tradition more than any outsider could have.

We need a throwback type coach, an old school one that wont take losing lightly, and force his players to succeed. BC just isn't this kind of coach. We were a smash-mouth type team, and BC is by no means a smash-mouth coach. I think a complete overhaul of the entire program is needed all the way from the AD to the towel-boys.

You do the best you can with the players you've got

IMO, sounds like he's blaming the players again. <_<

Or he is stating the obvious. You go out with your team every week and try to win games. That's all there is to it. Yea, people like you will "read between the lines" because it fits your ideology. Nothing new here.

I kind of wish Calahan wouldn't have said that also but probably what he meant was that he just doesn't have the right TYPE of players for the WCO. It's pretty obvious this is true. What do you want him to do, run the option? They have to be totally committed to learning the WCO even if it's with recievers recruited to be blockers (for example). He's running his offense with the TYPE of players he has.

Gimme a break.

When people say they aren't surprised the players are supporting Callahan, that doesn't mean we think they are doing so without sincerity. YES, these players want Callahan to succeed. They spend every day with the guy and have fought with blood, sweat, and tears. There's going to be a bond there. No team that is about to lose their coach wants it to happen except in extreme circumstances like Arizona a few years ago. Players fight for their coach. That's expected. That doesn't mean the players are right. Callahan was a big fat mistake from day 1. You can debate whether the option was outdated, but we went to the other extreme, and that was stupid. No, a coach doesn't HAVE to have ties to Nebraska, but there are plenty of GOOD coaches out there who would have at least held more respect for Nebraska tradition than Callahan. Heck, look at Pederson. He's a Nebraska alum, and he's trashed tradition more than any outsider could have.

:yeah

We have a bingo!

What are these guys gonna do, come out and say that the coach sucks, and get treated like Dailey, Pilk, Birkel, Fabian, J Bullocks, etc. :wtf

They want to play, and they are caught between a rock and a hard place.

Whats pretty funny is that we are hearing this from guys who HAVE to come back next year if they want to play Div I football. We havent heard the "senior leaders" come out and back the coaches much have we <_<

Callahan knows as much about NU tradition as anyone.  Many people push it in his face daily so he has to assimilate some of it.

:dis

Disagree as much as anybody can. By him not understanding the traditions of NU-OU rivalry (throwing oranges, ruffneks), he disgraced himself and embarrassed the program with his actions at OU last year, just one instance.

Does this quote make it sound like he understands, embraces, and RESPECTS the NU traditions,

"I did everything I could to make a change in a program, and a culture and an environment that we're dealing with."

:wtf

If only the players that back BC talk then the players that don't like the program should speak up before they leave not after.  Sour grapes are bitter no matter when you bite them.  Real men on the team should speak up not submit meekly to the dictatorial rule of BC if that's how they really feel and how the program truly is.

Like I said, and risk getting treated like Dailey, Pilk, Birkel, Fabian, J Bullocks, etc. all were treated. No way, no how. They want to play ball an win, not get benched for political reasons.

"I'm going to do the best I can. That's how I've always responded to adversity," Callahan said. "Do I think it (my job) is safe? There is no security in this business. You do the best you can with the players you've got. You go to work and fight and compete and that's it. You look yourself in the mirror and say, 'I did everything I could to make a change in a program, in a culture, in the environment that we're dealing with.'"

He's just stating the obvious, he has to play what he has. He has to play in the "culture, in the environment that we're dealing with.'" NEBRASKA!

GIT'R DONE CALLY!!

:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce