Quote from callahans press conference

They want to play, and they are caught between a rock and a hard place.

I am sure the players appreciate you putting words in their mouth. That's right. We can't take a players word for it unless he says he hates playing for these coaches right? Give me a break man.

Oh and about senior's coming out, they have in the past. Cory came out numerous times last year in support of the staff.

This team and this staff aren't going to hang themselves as much as you would love them to.

That doesn't mean the players are right.

Here's where you go off track IMO. It doesn't mean the players are right? Who decides what's right? This is a god damn football team. The players are one of the most important parts of the team. They are what makes the whole thing tick on Saturday's. To say basically "well, they may like playing for the coaches but that doesn't matter because I hate the coaches" is well, asinine.

Gimme a break.

When people say they aren't surprised the players are supporting Callahan, that doesn't mean we think they are doing so without sincerity. YES, these players want Callahan to succeed. They spend every day with the guy and have fought with blood, sweat, and tears. There's going to be a bond there. No team that is about to lose their coach wants it to happen except in extreme circumstances like Arizona a few years ago. Players fight for their coach. That's expected. That doesn't mean the players are right. Callahan was a big fat mistake from day 1. You can debate whether the option was outdated, but we went to the other extreme, and that was stupid. No, a coach doesn't HAVE to have ties to Nebraska, but there are plenty of GOOD coaches out there who would have at least held more respect for Nebraska tradition than Callahan. Heck, look at Pederson. He's a Nebraska alum, and he's trashed tradition more than any outsider could have.

:yeah

I had a coach when I played ball that led us to a 5 and 16 record over 3 years. We all liked the guy, and we tried to play as hard as we could for him. However, after you begin to lose as much as we did; you find yourself simply playing for YOUR stats rather than playing as a team. When I hear a player make reference to trying to tackle making the highlight reel, it reminds me a lot about my experience playing ball back in school. When the coaches can't get the players to play like a team rather than playing for themselves, the outcome of the games will not be very enjoyable for the fans unless the talent is hands down better than the other team. When teams play as one unit rather than 11 guys out there doing their own thing, the success of the team is much better. Look at Lavar Arrington. He's just now beginning to get a lot more playing time because he's finally realizing you have to play with the team rather than cowboying off on your own and playing for yourself. My biggest strike against these coaches is the fact that they can't get the team to play like a team. When teams play like one unit, you don't see as many missed tackles, missed assignments, missed blocks, etc. that we have. You can take a 200 pounder, and he can make a block against a rushing 300+ pounder. He may not be able to hold his block very long, but he should be able to at least get in his way and slow him down. We're not even getting in the way a lot of the times. Then, Taylor gets laid on his back. Even Ross is missing and not picking up some of the blitzes and rushing LB's. It's hard to single out one guy because everyone on the team is missing blocks and assignments.

I know there are some/many who do not feel it is the coaches job to get these kids motivated, making tackles, and keeping their assignments. But from my experience as a player and as a referee, it's very easy to see the difference between a well coached team and a poorly coached team. As a spectator, I watched a team ranked #1 in state play the #8 ranked team in the state. From the opening kickoff, it was easy to see which team was going to win. The #8 ranked team came off the ball quicker and played as a team. The #1 ranked team not only got blown off the ball when they were on defense, they also came off the ball slower when they were on offense. The game wasn't even close as the #8 ranked team won by 20 points. Obviously, the talent was better on the team that lost they just didn't play as well as a team. IMO, it is the job of the coach to get the players to play together. It is their job to have the team pumped up and ready to play from the opening kickoff. Whatever the coaches are doing to get us to come back needs to be occurring before the team ever takes the field. I just can't believe with the experience this staff has they haven't figured this out yet!

I know there are some/many who do not feel it is the coaches job to get these kids motivated, making tackles, and keeping their assignments.

I think it's important for the coach to give some kind of motivational talk before games, but I think the real motivation comes from within the players themselves. Keeping assignments, yes, the coaches absolutely have to emphasize this!

Linebacker Corey McKeon rushed to Callahan's defense.

"He takes too much blame," McKeon said. "It's on the players just as much as it's on any coach. We're all accountable. Personally, I can't stand when Coach sits there and takes (blame) for things that he shouldn't. The players are making the mistakes."

Quarterback Zac Taylor said the heat Callahan is taking is "ridiculous."

"Coach can't play the game for us," Taylor said. "He's putting us in the right situations and telling us what's going to happen. It's the players not getting the job done. If he's under fire, it should be us under fire. We're behind him 100 percent."

You forgot to add these quotes there former. :wtf

Can you honestly say you are surprised? This is about politic's man, not football. You have to present only what supports your party :thumbs

What are these guys gonna do, come out and say that the coach sucks, and get treated like Dailey, Pilk, Birkel, Fabian, J Bullocks, etc. :wtf

Whats pretty funny is that we are hearing this from guys who HAVE to come back next year if they want to play Div I football. We havent heard the "senior leaders" come out and back the coaches much have we <_<

If someone bashes the staff they are right on. But if someone backs this staff there is no way they mean what they say. Give me a break. :bang Quotes only work for you if tehy help with what you are spewing on that day.

Linebacker Corey McKeon rushed to Callahan's defense.

"He takes too much blame," McKeon said. "It's on the players just as much as it's on any coach. We're all accountable. Personally, I can't stand when Coach sits there and takes (blame) for things that he shouldn't. The players are making the mistakes."

Quarterback Zac Taylor said the heat Callahan is taking is "ridiculous."

"Coach can't play the game for us," Taylor said. "He's putting us in the right situations and telling us what's going to happen. It's the players not getting the job done. If he's under fire, it should be us under fire. We're behind him 100 percent."

You forgot to add these quotes there former. :wtf

Can you honestly say you are surprised? This is about politic's man, not football. You have to present only what supports your party :thumbs

What are these guys gonna do, come out and say that the coach sucks, and get treated like Dailey, Pilk, Birkel, Fabian, J Bullocks, etc. :wtf

Whats pretty funny is that we are hearing this from guys who HAVE to come back next year if they want to play Div I football. We havent heard the "senior leaders" come out and back the coaches much have we <_<

I actually thought you couldn't outdo yourself with idiotic statements all this week, from twisting Callahan and the players words around, to the "lets no support the NU project because SP/Callahan are still in charge" comments

Gotta hand it to you, you continue to show ignorance even when you got no ammo to counter with. Congratulations 41.gif

Gotta hand it to you, you continue to show ignorance even when you got no ammo to counter with. Congratulations 41.gif

Ive been taking lessons from you :dumdum

BTW, again, Mr Class Act, attack the post, not the poster. Oh wait...you cant ;)

Is this another one of those "reading between the lines" analysis Formerfan? Your post showing ignorance reflects on you the "POSTER" for making the comments. What part of that do you not get? :dumdum

Kinda funny that you can sit there and say i am attacking you, when you go on a message board and call a coach an A-HOLE. And you talk about class? <_<

They need to join the Navy for say... 6 rounds. That's the way we used to settle "things" like this. It was called "smokers" and we set up an authentic boxing ring in the hangar bay of the Aircraft Carrier.

I haven't been on a large ship like that for quite some time, but I bet there is still some "smokin'" going on, on the high seas.

They need to join the Navy for say... 6 rounds. That's the way we used to settle "things" like this. It was called "smokers" and we set up an authentic boxing ring in the hangar bay of the Aircraft Carrier.

I haven't been on a large ship like that for quite some time, but I bet there is still some "smokin'" going on, on the high seas.

or how bout a "meet and greet"? :lol:

Callahan knows as much about NU tradition as anyone.  Many people push it in his face daily so he has to assimilate some of it.

:dis

Disagree as much as anybody can. By him not understanding the traditions of NU-OU rivalry (throwing oranges, ruffneks), he disgraced himself and embarrassed the program with his actions at OU last year, just one instance.

Does this quote make it sound like he understands, embraces, and RESPECTS the NU traditions,

"I did everything I could to make a change in a program, and a culture and an environment that we're dealing with."

:wtf

I actually agree with Former on this. Plus, you can not read up-on or hear about the NU tradition, you must have lived it. Callahan was not around for Tagge/Rogers years or the Gill, Rozier, and Fryar years. He was not around to feel the heartbreak when we missed a field goal and lost to FSU. He was not around for Cory Schlesinger bulldozing in 2 scores the next year to bring the trophy home. Nor was he there through the Frazier years, or for the devastating death of Brook Berringer. NU fans have lived these moments. No amount of reading up on, or learning can compare. He may respect tradition (arguable), but IMO he will never completely understand it.

Callahan knows as much about NU tradition as anyone.  Many people push it in his face daily so he has to assimilate some of it.

:dis

Disagree as much as anybody can. By him not understanding the traditions of NU-OU rivalry (throwing oranges, ruffneks), he disgraced himself and embarrassed the program with his actions at OU last year, just one instance.

Does this quote make it sound like he understands, embraces, and RESPECTS the NU traditions,

"I did everything I could to make a change in a program, and a culture and an environment that we're dealing with."

:wtf

I actually agree with Former on this. Plus, you can not read up-on or hear about the NU tradition, you must have lived it. Callahan was not around for Tagge/Rogers years or the Gill, Rozier, and Fryar years. He was not around to feel the heartbreak when we missed a field goal and lost to FSU. He was not around for Cory Schlesinger bulldozing in 2 scores the next year to bring the trophy home. Nor was he there through the Frazier years, or for the devastating death of Brook Berringer. NU fans have lived these moments. No amount of reading up on, or learning can compare. He may respect tradition (arguable), but IMO he will never completely understand it.

I disagree. Not necessarily that specifically Callahan can't get it, but people that haven't "lived it" can't get it. Like it some kind of sacred birth rite or something. C'mon people. Let's not get over infatuated with ourselves and our team. It's football.

I have heard in the past two years, and recently as a matter of fact that specific threats have been made against the coaching staff and their families. I wouldn't doubt that kind of thing has happened in the past. Now that, my friends, is where this "birth rite" attitude can be very, very bad.