Early expectations for this year.

For those suggesting that a long-term status quo level of performance will not get Pelini fired...

You really think so? You may be right, but to me the status quo is what... 4th or 5th in the conference, finishing just within the top 25 (say #20-#25) or just outside of the top 25; not competing against the elite --- blow-out losses, or, at least, clear losses with little sense of having a chance. If that continued for say... this next year and the next two after that --- do you really think Pelini would not get fired?

Seems to me that he would... and, if not, then that would seemingly indicate that NU has relegated themselves to being OK with being a national non-factor in football.

I don't think you know what status quo means...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_quo

Considering the amount of surprise around Husker nation when we suffered blowout losses last year, I don't think that's the status quo.

For those suggesting that a long-term status quo level of performance will not get Pelini fired...

You really think so? You may be right, but to me the status quo is what... 4th or 5th in the conference, finishing just within the top 25 (say #20-#25) or just outside of the top 25; not competing against the elite --- blow-out losses, or, at least, clear losses with little sense of having a chance. If that continued for say... this next year and the next two after that --- do you really think Pelini would not get fired?

Seems to me that he would... and, if not, then that would seemingly indicate that NU has relegated themselves to being OK with being a national non-factor in football.

Bo's status quo has been:

2008 - Second in division (lost tiebreaker), 9-4

2009 - Won division, played for the conference championship, needed one break to win, 10-4

2010 - Won division, played for the conference championship, needed one break to win, 10-4

2011 - Third in division, 9-4

You fire that coach, for the second time in 15-ish years, with two different ADs calling the shots, and you're never, ever going to get another decent coach to come here again. Ever.

Urban Meyer even said one of the reasons he didn't consider the Nebraska offer was they way we fired Frank after a 9-3 season. You simply cannot fire successful coaches without cause and expect to bring in another coach.

That lesson has been learned, not just by the Athletic Department but by the Board of Regents as well.

• Fire 5
Pelini doesn't need saving, though. He's not going to be ousted by UNL anytime soon. If he leaves for a different gig that's another story, but he's not going to be fired for what he's done here.

Not yet. It won't be long before the discussion is more frequent unless the status quo that gets us the same thing year in and year out is broken. Tom won't be here, and Pelini might not put up with the BS. Whether he leaves like Frank, Cally, or Carl really makes no difference. The discussion will get louder, and the voices bigger.

There is ZERO chance we fire Pelini unless the wheels completely fall off. We made that mistake with Solich and it backfired on us badly. We will not slam our hands in the car door again. Bo might leave on his own, but he won't be fired for maintaining the status quo.

Yep.

There's a mathematical and statistical zero chance NU will do something that outrageously stupid again for a long, long time.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Status_quo

Considering the amount of surprise around Husker nation when we suffered blowout losses last year, I don't think that's the status quo.

No...

The status quo --- the current state of affairs of NU football in this case --- is as described. We have been the last two years 4th or 5th best in the conference (B12 then B1G) and have been finishing #20-#25,, and have not competed well against the big dogs. The blowouts were this past year --- which is the CURRENT state of affairs and, by definition the status quo.

My premise is that if this current state of affairs continues next year and say the two that follow (who knows if that will be the case... but, for the sake of argument let us say that it did). Let us say that the next three years we (like last year) finish w/o really competing for the conference division title and finish #4 or #5 in conference --- pretty good but not nationally relevant (or even relevant in the conference) --- if that took place... I'd think they fire Pelini. That is my point.

Winning 9 games a year and being solid... but never contending for anything --- and having that be the case year in and year out... I would not think that that would cut it at NU. If it does... then NU has settled in and defined being irrelevant as being OK.

Question, Robsker: How do you fire that nine-game-winning coach? What do you announce to the world as your reason? And how do you, after firing that coach, convince a "good" coach to come here if your standards are "You must win X-number of games (more than nine a year) and you must contend for (something)?"

What coach is going to take that job? Why would they?

• Fire 2

You guys probably don't want to hear excuses, but we have had a remarkable degree of adversity and uniquely challenging circumstances over the last six years. Callahan's (thankful) departure gutted that recruiting class and Bo came into the program as a first time HC. Tough transition, and learning through experience usually involves some scars. Bo molded that first team nicely, and frankly, that '08 team improved from game 1 to game 13 more than any other team I've seen. I was highly encouraged.

Then came '09. One of the most frustrating years I've ever experienced as a Nebraska fan, because our defense was championship caliber quality....we just beat the hell out people. We got pressure up the middle with a front four rush every time, never needed to blitz. Our special teams unit was incredibly strong as well, featuring the most accurate kicker in the history of cfb. The offense made me want to eat a bowl of broken glass every time they took a snap. If that offense had been average, we would have easily made a BCS game. That was the most futile, infuriating thing I've ever seen, zone read with Lee, loss/gain of one yard, false start, incomplete pass bouncing off of Niles...yeesh. Yet, Bo was figuring out the Big 12. We had a defense uniquely suited to counter-act the spread style of the conference.

2010 felt like a step back, even though we made the CCG again and really should have beaten Oklahoma. It was a feast or famine year offensively, Martinez either going for 80 or quick three-and-outs. The defense sagged, but when you lose a guy like Suh, that's going to happen. I've always thought Bo focused more on the offensive side of the ball that year, and the performance of the defense reflected that. (And that defense was still pretty damn solid. Just not as brutally dominant as they were the year prior.) Still, we won the (abysmal, granted) North. That whole year was one of near unprecedented awkwardness and bitterness. The league suspending our players, Beebe clearly poisonous towards our program, I mean, football is a hard enough game on its own. We had all kinds of additional BS to deal with. I don't put that on Bo or his staff.

And last year we joined a new conference. A conference that plays a markedly different style of football. Yes, football is football, and the goals and the rules don't change. But tell me you didn't watch those games last year and think "Jay-sus this is a physical conference." Bo structured his defense to eliminate the strengths of a pass happy spread, and Big 10 offenses are like the antithesis of the spread. (Except for Northwestern, of course. Who beat us. So figure that one out, because I still can't.)

I guess what I'm rambling towards is that we've had five years of extenuating circumstances that have added a trying element. Like I said, football is hard enough without the additional challenges we've faced for Bo's entire tenure. Adopting to the new conference is particularly tough. It takes awhile to formulate how you want to attack a specific style of offense, and at least a full season of play and spring and summer camps of practice to install the playbook. It takes reps and time for the players to gain familiarity with a system, a system we've had to make significant changes to due to the entirely different style of play we're encountering in the Big 10.

I'm patient, to a point. The SC bowl game left me very irritated. I pouted, bitched, said "I dunno about this guy." But I think he ought to get at least a bit of a reprieve for the conference realignment situation. I want to see consistency this year, and I sure as hell don't want to get embarrassed by Michigan again. I don't mobile quarterbacks to make us look likes pigs on roller skates...getting tired of that. But I still believe in Bo, and additionally, I think Beck will find his stride. That's all I've got. Sorry for the novel.

Lol!

Pigs on roller skates....good one.

Great post, my friend. It certainly has been a wild ride, to be sure. The Beebe BigXII really stuck it to us several times (Texas 20009, TAM 2010, etc) so thank Gawd were out of there. Lee was a tough kid but I won't miss Callawatts having him "run" the option (at all). Oh, if we just could have had any offense at all. Oh boy.....

Then 2010 had our offense starting so awesome only to end with our qb limping around out there with two bad wheels. Auuuuggghh.......

2011 was the mean average of 2009 & 2010 offensively but to our total & complete surprise our defense got run over repeatably. I sure didn't see that coming. Losing Crick & Fonzy sure didn't help but that's how it goes.

I'm thinking we'll make some good progress this year but we'll just have to hang tough and see.

GBR!

No...

The status quo --- the current state of affairs of NU football in this case --- is as described. We have been the last two years 4th or 5th best in the conference (B12 then B1G) and have been finishing #20-#25,, and have not competed well against the big dogs. The blowouts were this past year --- which is the CURRENT state of affairs and, by definition the status quo.

My premise is that if this current state of affairs continues next year and say the two that follow (who knows if that will be the case... but, for the sake of argument let us say that it did). Let us say that the next three years we (like last year) finish w/o really competing for the conference division title and finish #4 or #5 in conference --- pretty good but not nationally relevant (or even relevant in the conference) --- if that took place... I'd think they fire Pelini. That is my point.

Winning 9 games a year and being solid... but never contending for anything --- and having that be the case year in and year out... I would not think that that would cut it at NU. If it does... then NU has settled in and defined being irrelevant as being OK.

U. Meyer and everybody else laughed at NU for doing something that stupid last time. They will again too.

No...

Most folks won't be happy, if years like last year become the norm. But you're taking that outlier year, and applying it to Pelini's career, and assuming that it's the trend going forward. We've contended for a CC 3 out of 4 years, and were extremely close to winning it 2 out of 4.

Again, it took Tom Osborne 9 years to win a conference title.

Nevertheless I still think it wears on them. Heh, let's just say their ooc schedule is a LOT tougher than last year. I really, really doubt they'll push Notre Dame & Alabama around much on the road. They'll be lucky to get a split but more likely go 0 - 2 with those guys. Now, maybe that won't make any difference? Maybe.

We'll see!

This post is filled with entirely too much Notre Dame respect. Michigan >>>>> Notre Dame - even on the road. The only team worth a crap they beat last year was MSU. Otherwise, they lose to any other team even close to being ranked. Notre Dame is a 5-7 team this year, with losses to MSU, MIchigan, Miami, Stanford, BYU, Oklahoma, and USC.

Michigan was damn lucky to beat Notre Dame last year. At the big house.

Also, what's Michigan done the last five years that ranks them >>>>>>> over Notre Dame?

Bo's status quo has been:

2008 - Second in division (lost tiebreaker), 9-4

2009 - Won division, played for the conference championship, needed one break to win, 10-4

2010 - Won division, played for the conference championship, needed one break to win, 10-4

2011 - Third in division, 9-4

You fire that coach, for the second time in 15-ish years, with two different ADs calling the shots, and you're never, ever going to get another decent coach to come here again. Ever.

Urban Meyer even said one of the reasons he didn't consider the Nebraska offer was they way we fired Frank after a 9-3 season. You simply cannot fire successful coaches without cause and expect to bring in another coach.

That lesson has been learned, not just by the Athletic Department but by the Board of Regents as well.

Bingo.

If you really want Bo gone you better start rooting for Nebraska do significantly worse than they have been. If you're going to do that, just do us all a favor and find another team to root for.

when you put it like that it seems like there isn't much to be hopeful for as a Husker fan. nothing is really changing as far as recruiting goes. the coaching staff is actually getting more inexperienced as the seasons progress. we've graduated away the best leftovers from Callahan, and the best JUCO guys Pelini was able to find. We have a rough schedule, operating a "spread killing" defense in a non-spread conference, with a history of being completely unable to stop any QB even remotely close to being mobile (see R. Wilson's rushing numbers from last year and where he got a good chunk of them), playing 5-6 teams a year with mobile QBs, all the while trying to be a power offense with finesse players.

this is depressing. 8 hours of meetings ahead and i'm actually excited to go just to get away from this thread :)

Whether you are joking or not . . . this is basically my opinion of the program at the moment. It's not a good feeling. I don't see much changing in the near future.

One way or another, I'd bet that Pelini won't be coaching here in 3 years. Hopefully he wins a conference championship or BCS game before then and proves me wrong.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

omg, YOU'RE KILLIN ME SMALLS!

All kidding aside. You are straight up smoking CRACK. Pelini is only one of 6 coaches to win 9+ wins in the past 4 years. He's also one of 3 programs that have finished in the top 25 during the same time period.

You do not pass go.

You do not collect 200 dollars.

You go straight to jail.

In other words, STOP SPREADING FUD (Fear, uncertainty, doubt) in Husker Nation. Seriously...stop it.

What?

We'll see. Like I said, I hope that he gets over the hump. For what it's worth I agree that it's very unlikely that he is fired. It's far more likely that he leaves of his own accord. It's not exactly a secret that he has been interested in some high profile openings. The catch-22 is that every year that he goes without winning a conference championship or BCS game he becomes less attractive to other programs.

Hopefully that doesn't spread too much FUD.

You're a hypocrite.

<snip>

If you're a fan, cheer for your team. Cheer for your coaches. Cheer for your season. Don't be the whiney kid from playground football who doesn't even try because he's upset with the choice of QB. Bo Pelini is our quarterback for our team. Get behind him and stop with the lemming BS and the chicken little sky falling bullcrap.

Did you say that about Bill Callahan? Cheer for ol' Billy C?

I hope so. If not . . . that would make you a hypocrite . . . who happens to be calling others a hypocrite. Doubly hypocritical, I suppose.

(Please don't derail this into why Pelini is so much better than Callahan. He is. Period. Full stop. MUCH BETTER. No comparison. That's not the point. The ultimate question will always be is he good enough for Nebraska? To that I will say: we'll see.)

when you put it like that it seems like there isn't much to be hopeful for as a Husker fan. nothing is really changing as far as recruiting goes. the coaching staff is actually getting more inexperienced as the seasons progress. we've graduated away the best leftovers from Callahan, and the best JUCO guys Pelini was able to find. We have a rough schedule, operating a "spread killing" defense in a non-spread conference, with a history of being completely unable to stop any QB even remotely close to being mobile (see R. Wilson's rushing numbers from last year and where he got a good chunk of them), playing 5-6 teams a year with mobile QBs, all the while trying to be a power offense with finesse players.

this is depressing. 8 hours of meetings ahead and i'm actually excited to go just to get away from this thread :)

Whether you are joking or not . . . this is basically my opinion of the program at the moment. It's not a good feeling. I don't see much changing in the near future.

One way or another, I'd bet that Pelini won't be coaching here in 3 years. Hopefully he wins a conference championship or BCS game before then and proves me wrong.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

All kidding aside. You are straight up smoking CRACK. Pelini is only one of 6 coaches to win 9+ wins in the past 4 years. He's also one of 3 programs that have finished in the top 25 during the same time period.

You do not pass go.

You go straight to jail.

In other words, STOP SPREADING FUD (Fear, uncertainty, doubt) in Husker Nation. Seriously...stop it.

What?

We'll see. Like I said, I hope that he gets over the hump. For what it's worth I agree that it's very unlikely that he is fired. It's far more likely that he leaves of his own accord. It's not exactly a secret that he has been interested in some high profile openings. The catch-22 is that every year that he goes without winning a conference championship or BCS game he becomes less attractive to other programs.

he's going to have to recruit a helluva lot better here, before he goes somewhere else as their "pick".......IMHO. his recruiting is nowhere near elite level.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

You do not pass go.

You go straight to jail.

What?

he's going to have to recruit a helluva lot better here, before he goes somewhere else as their "pick".......IMHO. his recruiting is nowhere near elite level.

Agreed. However, It does appear the staff is doing much better this year.

Agreed. However, It does appear the staff is doing much better this year.

Are you talking about earlier commits? Quality? Both? I'll admit that I haven't been able to follow it as closely this spring as I have in the past but at a glance it looks roughly similar to the class the last few years in quality . . . but maybe a bit more quantity than other years at this point in the recruiting year.