Early expectations for this year.

we don't look like ND......even though their record isn't too hot, they are recruiting head and shoulders above NU.

Would you like to trade places? My guess would be no.

Notre Dame

Year-----Recruiting Ranking--- Record

2003 ------------12 --------------- 5-7

2004 ------------ 91 ---------------6-6

2005-------------40-----------------9-3

2006------------- 8 ----------------10-3

2007------------- 8 --------------- 3-9

2008------------- 2----------------- 7-6

2009--------------21---------------- 6-6

2010------------- 14----------------8-5

2011--------------10----------------8-5

2012---------------20

as far as 2010 ansd 2011 are concerned, they recruited way better than we did.

You're a hypocrite.

<snip>

If you're a fan, cheer for your team. Cheer for your coaches. Cheer for your season. Don't be the whiney kid from playground football who doesn't even try because he's upset with the choice of QB. Bo Pelini is our quarterback for our team. Get behind him and stop with the lemming BS and the chicken little sky falling bullcrap.

Did you say that about Bill Callahan? Cheer for ol' Billy C?

I hope so. If not . . . that would make you a hypocrite . . . who happens to be calling others a hypocrite. Doubly hypocritical, I suppose.

(Please don't derail this into why Pelini is so much better than Callahan. He is. Period. Full stop. MUCH BETTER. No comparison. That's not the point. The ultimate question will always be is he good enough for Nebraska? To that I will say: we'll see.)

I cheered for Billy C until the day he was fired...because that's what a real fan does. I also expressed my distaste for some of his decisions but I never forecasted doom and glom like everyone else is.

You know . . . I always thought a real fan cheered for the team. Interesting. Welp, I guess we can't both be right!

Maybe more people should have forecasted doom and gloom and we could have been rid of Callahan earlier. :P

You might want to think this one through.

OMG! not the "real fan" argument? :ahhhhhhhh

we don't look like ND......even though their record isn't too hot, they are recruiting head and shoulders above NU.

Notre Dame

2012---------------20

They've recruited better than us for the last 6 years. Looks like it hasn't really meant much.

• Fire 1

You're a hypocrite.

<snip>

If you're a fan, cheer for your team. Cheer for your coaches. Cheer for your season. Don't be the whiney kid from playground football who doesn't even try because he's upset with the choice of QB. Bo Pelini is our quarterback for our team. Get behind him and stop with the lemming BS and the chicken little sky falling bullcrap.

Did you say that about Bill Callahan? Cheer for ol' Billy C?

I hope so. If not . . . that would make you a hypocrite . . . who happens to be calling others a hypocrite. Doubly hypocritical, I suppose.

(Please don't derail this into why Pelini is so much better than Callahan. He is. Period. Full stop. MUCH BETTER. No comparison. That's not the point. The ultimate question will always be is he good enough for Nebraska? To that I will say: we'll see.)

I cheered for Billy C until the day he was fired...because that's what a real fan does. I also expressed my distaste for some of his decisions but I never forecasted doom and glom like everyone else is.

You know . . . I always thought a real fan cheered for the team. Interesting. Welp, I guess we can't both be right!

Maybe more people should have forecasted doom and gloom and we could have been rid of Callahan earlier. :P

You might want to think this one through.

OMG! not the "real fan" argument? :ahhhhhhhh

My "real fan" was a response to the earlier "real fan." This board needs a . . .

sarcasm01.jpg

Notre Dame

2012---------------20

They've recruited better than us for the last 6 years. Looks like it hasn't really meant much.

+1. Yeah. That was the point that I was shooting for.

• Fire 1

Notre Dame

2012---------------20

i agree, but i sure wish we could recruit like that.....i think Bo could capitalize with that much talent.

This line of thinking is absurd: "Well, we're one of the best in the country at consistently winning, but we haven't won the big one. So let's bring in someone new, even though the odds are that they won't even perform at this level let alone do better. I mean, the last time we fired a coach for performing this well, we went in the crapper. But I'm sure that won't happen again. After all, history never repeats itself."

If we win 9 games every year, we will not be one of the best in the country at consistently winning.

We'll be a borderline Top 20 team. It's nothing about odds. A coach that always wins about 9 games a year is probably an average coach (well, maybe a great coach, if this were Buffalo. But it's not, it's Nebraska).

A coach that does this all the time is eventually let go at every major program. Why? Because major programs don't settle for keeping average coaches long term. It is the goal of every major program to find that Great Head Coach. That Chris Peterson or Urban Meyer or Mack Brown or Pete Carroll. If Bo stays here for EIGHT seasons and shows no signs of that potential, then why in the world do we want to lock that down, long-term? Now that is absurd.

On the other hand, if Bo sticks around, 9 wins is the baseline and on several occasions we make big splashes, then he's worth keeping around to see what he can do. But ultimately, no, 9-4 seasons in perpetuity is not what is good enough here. Not in perpetuity.

• Fire 1

On the other hand, if Bo sticks around, 9 wins is the baseline and on several occasions we make big splashes, then he's worth keeping around to see what he can do. But ultimately, no, 9-4 seasons in perpetuity is not what is good enough here. Not in perpetuity.

9 win seasons in perpetuity isn't even reality at this point, I don't know why it would be in the future.

Yeah, it's not.

That's when we start talking about finding something better or not. The discussion here I was responding to is about the concept of firing a 9-win coach after all, and not "Does Bo need to go." His career trajectory here can still go in either direction. Tom Osborne or Herman Cain. Ultimately, it'll come down to if he underachieves or overachieves, more so than the strict numbers.

If we win 9 games every year, we will not be one of the best in the country at consistently winning.

That's pretty much the definition of "consistently".

But I see what your argument is - I just strongly disagree. You assume that switching coaches will make NU better, while I believe it is much more likely we'll be worse.

• Fire 1

It's pretty much NOT the definition of "the best", though. That's where we differ. I don't assume necessarily that a new coach will make NU better, but you have to try. Having 9 wins all the time is about the lowest bound for what we should accept from the football team, you know? Any lower and I think we would all be pretty unhappy.

So hypothetically, if we have a guy who just barely makes that minimum standard, that's fine, give him plenty of chances, but don't keep him around for ten years with unassailable job security because we're worried it will look bad to let him go.

If we're talking about 9 wins being a bad season for this guy and regularly competing for more than 3rd-best in the conference, it's a different story.

I think we should put this debate off after he has two seasons with his own recruits. If he can't get through his glass ceiling of 10 wins and failing to win a conference, then it will be more appropriate to reevaluate his performance. As for this year, 11 wins=glass ceiling shattered, off of the hot seat. 10 wins= Same stuff different year. 9 wins or less=disappointment and it's not looking good for his future at NU.

robsker,

Your view of the current state of affairs of Nebraska football is so incredibly short-sighted it makes me thank GOD you're not anywhere near being a decision maker in the NU athletic department.

The fact that you're even contemplating firing a coach who has won 38 games in four seasons is beyond moronic. As knappl and others have tried to point out to you if we were to get rid of Bo without cause we would become the new permanent doormat of the college football world because NO coach would want to come here knowing that 9 wins gets him fired. I sometimes wonder what people who make posts like yours what's your agenda--because it doesn't appear to be the long-term success of Nebraska football.

9 wins each season, with never competing or winning a CC or getting to a BCS Bowl game would be disappoinitng, if it went on for 4,5, or 6 years consecutively.......no?........or would some be satisfied with that?

So you are going to give him 3, 4 or 5 more years?

Big 12 Championship Game

2009 21 Nebraska 12–13 3 Texas Cowboys Stadium, Arlington, Texas

2010 13 Nebraska 20-23 10 Oklahoma Cowboys Stadium, Arlington, Texas notes