Early expectations for this year.

Bo Pelini needs to field a competitive Husker squad and figure out if his personality is helping or hurting the cause. It feels like he's on the verge of something good, but if this team does not look better and finish stronger, he has precisely one more season after this before Nebraska starts shopping around. As they should. And there will be takers.

Where does this two-year time frame come from?

This too, could all be coming to fruition. This weekend is a big game. I like how Guy Chamberlain states that we need to field a competitve squad though. That, I can agree with. I made a comment about wins and losses not mattering so much and I got ripped apart for it. I stand by it though. We just have to look better. We have to look like we are getting better. The same things cannot just keep popping up. The penalties, turnovers, getting gashed in spurts on defense, and so forth. Nebraska can lose games, I'm fine with that. I can live with that, but it's how we lose them that really affects my judgement. I believe Mr. Osborne has always said it the same way. It's not the wins and losses, it's about how you go about competing. This weekend can be a very pivotal weekend as far as the perception of where this Program is headed. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it's true.

Everyone needs to calm down. Be patient. Let it happen as it happens, don't get carried away with the "Let's get on to the next coach if this guy can't get it done" mentality.

We have some really good people on this team. People that we can be proud wear our colors, represent our school. Not just the Rex Burkheads and Kenny Bells, but the fifth-string walk-on linemen, too. We've got a team with guys like Austin Cassidy, who may not be the world's greatest Safety but he's a HELL of a guy, a hell of a Husker.

The Wise and prophetic words of Knapplc. I think the second paragraph is the most important thing to keep in mind. Bo is trying to do things the right way and with integrity. What's the most serious issue we've had, other than guys leaving, a couple alcohol related incidents?

This too, could all be coming to fruition. This weekend is a big game. I like how Guy Chamberlain states that we need to field a competitve squad though. That, I can agree with. I made a comment about wins and losses not mattering so much and I got ripped apart for it. I stand by it though. We just have to look better. We have to look like we are getting better. The same things cannot just keep popping up. The penalties, turnovers, getting gashed in spurts on defense, and so forth. Nebraska can lose games, I'm fine with that. I can live with that, but it's how we lose them that really affects my judgement. I believe Mr. Osborne has always said it the same way. It's not the wins and losses, it's about how you go about competing. This weekend can be a very pivotal weekend as far as the perception of where this Program is headed. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it's true.

I think everyone, individually, has their lines in the sand. Everyone comes to a point where they just don't buy it anymore, and they move on. For some, with Callahan, it took years. For me, I was never convinced of his loyalty, and told my friends that he wasn't a permanent part of this program the day he was hired. Sadly, that came to fruition in 2007, in disastrous fashion.

Bo, to me, is still up in the air. The list of things I would change about Bo is quite extensive. But to date, I have not jumped off the bandwagon. I've made no bones about the fact that "the honeymoon" is over for me, but I'm still willing to give him time. I have not yet drawn that line in the sand.

I can't blame, too much, those who have. Some people are just, frankly, unreasonable, and there's no way Bo & Co. can win for them. Some people, like me, are willing to sit back and wait and see what Bo makes of himself.

Bottom line, though, is not what I think, or what anyone else thinks. The bottom line is what Shawn Eichorst thinks. And that starts January 1, 2013.

The honeymoon time for is over as well, and was as of the end of the Cap One Bowl. I sh#t you not, I have written this team off 5 times this year. 3 times against Wisconsin, and twice against Northwestern where they time and again prove me wrong. That's a quality the I can kick to the curb yet. Obviously the staff is doing something right if they can get to players dig out like they have time and time again. I just happen to see the flashes of brilliance at times that suggest that a return to the top is not mythical under Bo. He's still adjusting many nuances on the fly of being a head coach. This season so far has not been that far off of what I thought it would be, and it still has a chance to be better than I thought it would.

A 10 - 4 season with one upset for us, one upset agin' us and every game hard fought would be an improvement. Anything less and I say it's okay to panic.

I don't see us making the B1G championship to get that 14th game. In order for us to make that, we'll need a season that is something like 11-3 with a win over Michigan, or 12-2 with a loss. Maybe even 12-2 with a win. At least 10 regular season wins anyway. 9-4 seems more likely.

Michigan has a very manageable B1G schedule, playing Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern. There's 4 wins. They get Michigan State & Iowa at home. Not to far fetched to think there is another 2 wins. They are on the road against Nebraska, and on the road against Ohio State. Hypothetically lets say they lose both and finish 6-2 and we have the tie-breaker. That's a fairly conservative estimate based on last year.

That means we can lose to Wisconsin and Ohio State to open B1G play, but we have to go on the road and beat Northwestern, the big win over Michigan at home, followed by a road win at Michigan State (we don't do well following emotional games). Then we need to beat Penn, Minnesota and travel to Iowa...essentially rattling off 6 straight. That would likely put us at 10-2 regular season with a tiebreaker over Michigan. I think that's what it has to be. Maybe flip the Wisconsin/Michigan St. outcomes. Regardless it will come down to owning that tiebreaker, because with 2 losses I don't see 3 losses on Michigan's schedule for us to catch a break.

:) ...and it all comes down to this Saturday....

• 2 months later...

the unfortunate thing about this thread....next year's thread will read exactly the same way - because we are fairly static as far as this "process" Bo has been preaching is concerned.

1) we'll likely be ranked 100+ in turnovers

2) we'll lose a game we shouldn't

3) we'll get blown out in embarrassing fashion at least once

4) will martinez improve?

5) Beck's in year 3 so now this offense is going to be great

6) 8 freshman defensive players that are somehow going to save the day despite never playing a down

7) not worried about, the OL. the offensive line is great because we were at the top of the rushing stats (even though we are primarily a rushing team) - oh, and ignore the sack ranking. [sarcasm included here]

...the prevailing theme for this thread next year is going to center around the schedule. it's Bo's savior in a very pivotal year for the program. unfortunately it's not likely something that this team can capitalize on.