Early expectations for this year.

That's the problem, though - often it doesn't matter how good or bad the opposite team is. The biggest opponent is between this team's ears - or those of our coaches, hard to say which. I'm not going to run down the litany of bad teams we've struggled against - or lost to - because we all know them. But it happens too often to dismiss, or to think that it's going to go away this season.

I am more than ready to be proven wrong.

I liked what Dr Tom's philosophy was: No matter who you were playing, you are competing with yourself to achieve perfection.

• Fire 1

The entitlement in this thread is reaching absurd levels.

And these same people threw complete shitfits during the spring when players on the team said "Our goal is to win them all."

It's like.... they don't even read what they are putting on these boards. It's freakin' retarded.

I think we can legitimately question Pelini's leadership and even express disatisfaction with a 9 win season without sounding entitled or calling for anyone's firing.

You like to see teams improving over the course of a year, and playing four hard quarters even in a losing cause. Pelini had that upswing his first couple seasons, coaching Callahan's recruits, and he's followed it with two seasons where the wheels came off the offense (2010) and the defense (2011) and the team turned in lifeless performances in bowl games against beatable opponents. Those seasons were also marred by some of Pelini's self-inflicted distractions.

Don't kid yourself. Pelini knows he's on notice, regardless of his contract or the public support of the administration. He knows where the bar is set for this team and he thinks it should be that high, too. That's why he took the job and that's why we hired him. Let's also not forget that college football is a multi-million dollar entertainment product. I will always root for my team because it's too far in my blood, but I do want to see an entertaining product on the field. So yeah, there are style points, not just wins and losses. Bo Pelini needs to field a competitive Husker squad and figure out if his personality is helping or hurting the cause. It feels like he's on the verge of something good, but if this team does not look better and finish stronger, he has precisely one more season after this before Nebraska starts shopping around. As they should. And there will be takers.

Before that happens, Pelini would be more likely to engineer his own exit strategy.

Again, I'm betting on a modest improvement this season, allowing most of the arguments on HuskerBoard to continue as always.

• Fire 1

Bo Pelini needs to field a competitive Husker squad and figure out if his personality is helping or hurting the cause. It feels like he's on the verge of something good, but if this team does not look better and finish stronger, he has precisely one more season after this before Nebraska starts shopping around. As they should. And there will be takers.

Where does this two-year time frame come from?

At least as legit as every other pontificator on the board, eh?

Nope. Only sunshine pumping pontificators are legitimate. :D

See also: expectations in excess of 9 wins indicate feelings of entitlement.

So much wrong in only 2 lines. Geez.

. . . woosh . . .

I should have added a lol.

:)

At least as legit as every other pontificator on the board, eh?

Nope. Only sunshine pumping pontificators are legitimate. :D

See also: expectations in excess of 9 wins indicate feelings of entitlement.

So much wrong in only 2 lines. Geez.

. . . woosh . . .

I should have added a lol.

:)

Apparently I should have done likewise.

I think we can legitimately question Pelini's leadership and even express disatisfaction with a 9 win season without sounding entitled or calling for anyone's firing.

You like to see teams improving over the course of a year, and playing four hard quarters even in a losing cause. Pelini had that upswing his first couple seasons, coaching Callahan's recruits, and he's followed it with two seasons where the wheels came off the offense (2010) and the defense (2011) and the team turned in lifeless performances in bowl games against beatable opponents. Those seasons were also marred by some of Pelini's self-inflicted distractions.

Don't kid yourself. Pelini knows he's on notice, regardless of his contract or the public support of the administration. He knows where the bar is set for this team and he thinks it should be that high, too. That's why he took the job and that's why we hired him. Let's also not forget that college football is a multi-million dollar entertainment product. I will always root for my team because it's too far in my blood, but I do want to see an entertaining product on the field. So yeah, there are style points, not just wins and losses. Bo Pelini needs to field a competitive Husker squad and figure out if his personality is helping or hurting the cause. It feels like he's on the verge of something good, but if this team does not look better and finish stronger, he has precisely one more season after this before Nebraska starts shopping around. As they should. And there will be takers.

Before that happens, Pelini would be more likely to engineer his own exit strategy.

Again, I'm betting on a modest improvement this season, allowing most of the arguments on HuskerBoard to continue as always.

Dead wrong there my friend. No way, absolutely no way TO is going to turn into Pedeyshine and fire our HC for "only" 9 or 10 wins. If you thought it was funny watching every decent HC in the nation laugh at Pedey's offers for HC then, just watch the uproar if tragically we do that again. We'll be lucky to even get another NFL reject.