Early expectations for this year.

No offense meant . . . but Bo ain't TO.

Pelini sunshine pumpers tend to become upset when critics say that his demeanor and interaction with the press should be more like TO.

Apparently the TO comparisons are a one way street. If they paint Bo in a favorable light they are valid and relevant. If they don't they are apples and oranges.

That's because many of us who knew Bob Devaney (you know, the guy who hired TO, gave him the OC position and then HC after he retired) know the how wildly he too be insulted, downgraded, laughed at, etc by the current internet genius crowd. Bob frequently screamed at our players, loved women & adult beverages. He was no preacher or tree-hugger.

Bo is the ultimate clean citizen relative to Bob but these days.....Bob wouldn't last five minutes and NU wouldn't be sh*t.

You knew Bob Devaney?

I'm not saying Bo should act like TO. That's not the point at all. You were saying that TO won national championships with recruiting classes that were not regarded as the best in the nation. My response is that Bo's recruiting (to date) is not great and his on field results have also not been great. He needs to win something. We need to win something. Every year without winning something our brand is a little more tarnished . . . our school falls a little further off the radar of high school athletes. How impressed do you think high school kids are by trophies that are as old as they are? Win something. Win something big. It doesn't have to be a national championship. Win the conference or a BCS game and then we'll talk. Until then, I have my doubts.

I do not want him fired, I never have, and I have never been terribly happy with him being hired. I saw great progress the first two years, the last have been questionable for me. This year is going to be the toughest year he has had. I am wishing him luck and hoping we are as good as most of you seem to think. Who knows, that is why we play the game.

Great post skersfan. I agree with everything except the italics. I was quite happy when he was hired. This year (one way or another) should help show the trajectory of Pelini's program.

Question, Robsker: How do you fire that nine-game-winning coach? What do you announce to the world as your reason? And how do you, after firing that coach, convince a "good" coach to come here if your standards are "You must win X-number of games (more than nine a year) and you must contend for (something)?"

What coach is going to take that job? Why would they?

It's not that hard to fire a status quo 9-win coach. All it takes is several years of that in a row at a program that feels like it should do better and the seat starts to get warm.

I don't believe Bo will/should get fired, but if our next three seasons are 9 wins, his seat will be toasty and deservedly so for not accomplishing more than this. At that point you could easily say, "OK, this program has a solid foundation. Let's bring in someone who can raise it to the next level, because there is some sort of direction that is lacking."

In the end, Nebraska is still a big job and people are going to go for it. Steve Pederson's failure in attracting candidates had more to do with Steve Pederson and how he handled everything, I am guessing, than the mere fact that Solich was let go. There's no explaining needed other than, "We need a new voice. The last guy did OK, but he has no ability to take us to the top. We want to be there, we think you're the guy." I just don't believe it will be the kind of dystopian, desperate future where we will never be able to get a quality coach if we do something so heinous.

The ultimate metric isn't # of wins or losses by itself - it's relative to expectation. Overachieving buys you rope and underachieving burns it.

It's not that hard to fire a status quo 9-win coach. All it takes is several years of that in a row at a program that feels like it should do better and the seat starts to get warm.

I don't believe Bo will/should get fired, but if our next three seasons are 9 wins, his seat will be toasty and deservedly so for not accomplishing more than this. At that point you could easily say, "OK, this program has a solid foundation. Let's bring in someone who can raise it to the next level, because there is some sort of direction that is lacking."

I'm not sure how to disagree with this more - other than to say, "I DISAGREE!!!!!!!"

This line of thinking is absurd: "Well, we're one of the best in the country at consistently winning, but we haven't won the big one. So let's bring in someone new, even though the odds are that they won't even perform at this level let alone do better. I mean, the last time we fired a coach for performing this well, we went in the crapper. But I'm sure that won't happen again. After all, history never repeats itself."

• Fire 2

No offense meant . . . but Bo ain't TO.

Pelini sunshine pumpers tend to become upset when critics say that his demeanor and interaction with the press should be more like TO.

Apparently the TO comparisons are a one way street. If they paint Bo in a favorable light they are valid and relevant. If they don't they are apples and oranges.

That's because many of us who knew Bob Devaney (you know, the guy who hired TO, gave him the OC position and then HC after he retired) know the how wildly he too be insulted, downgraded, laughed at, etc by the current internet genius crowd. Bob frequently screamed at our players, loved women & adult beverages. He was no preacher or tree-hugger.

Bo is the ultimate clean citizen relative to Bob but these days.....Bob wouldn't last five minutes and NU wouldn't be sh*t.

You knew Bob Devaney?

I'm not saying Bo should act like TO. That's not the point at all. You were saying that TO won national championships with recruiting classes that were not regarded as the best in the nation. My response is that Bo's recruiting (to date) is not great and his on field results have also not been great. He needs to win something. We need to win something. Every year without winning something our brand is a little more tarnished . . . our school falls a little further off the radar of high school athletes. How impressed do you think high school kids are by trophies that are as old as they are? Win something. Win something big. It doesn't have to be a national championship. Win the conference or a BCS game and then we'll talk. Until then, I have my doubts.

No, sadly I didn't personally know Bob. I should have stated that differently. Sorry. But I was born & raised in Lincoln and saw him around a lot. Of course, attended boatloads of his games and heard all the rumors (thank God for him & especially NU cfb.....no internet then). Many have endlessly whined because Bo isn't mother-Teresa and has actually.....*gasp!*........yelled at our players (Just like Bob did). I just don't see that as any kind of big deal at all. So Bo & Bob weren't/aren't PC enough for the hand-wringing Cum-by-ya section? Bfd.

Anyways, by your standards TO didn't win "something" until his 9th year. Even that was just a conference title. No doubt we should have fired him too and brought in another NFL guru? I think you know better than that.

You know, even Devaney had back-to-back 6 - 4 seasons but cooler heads didn't panic then. Pedeyshine is long gone and won't return so maybe it would be the best for you to just hang tough a little while. I bet you'll really appreciate it.

GBR!!

No, sadly I didn't personally know Bob. I should have stated that differently. Sorry. But I was born & raised in Lincoln and saw him around a lot. Of course, attended boatloads of his games and heard all the rumors (thank God for him & especially NU cfb.....no internet then). Many have endlessly whined because Bo isn't mother-Teresa and has actually.....*gasp!*........yelled at our players (Just like Bob did). I just don't see that as any kind of big deal at all. So Bo & Bob weren't/aren't PC enough for the hand-wringing Cum-by-ya section? Bfd.

Anyways, by your standards TO didn't win "something" until his 9th year. Even that was just a conference title. No doubt we should have fired him too and brought in another NFL guru? I think you know better than that.

You know, even Devaney had back-to-back 6 - 4 seasons but cooler heads didn't panic then. Pedeyshine is long gone and won't return so maybe it would be the best for you to just hang tough a little while. I bet you'll really appreciate it.

GBR!!

The bold isn't quite true. TO won the Sugar Bowl in his second year. TO finished in the top ten in each of his first 4 years. Etc.

I don't expect that now. But I'm also not willing to settle for being a perpetual also-ran within the conference. At some point we need to win something because we're starting to look like the Notre Dame fans that I laughed at for so many years.

I do plan on hanging tough. I'm a Nebraska fan. I always will be. I want what's best for the school and the program. If that's Pelini, I'm for it. If it's not Pelini, I'm for his successor. Best case: Pelini alleviates my doubts and wins. We'll see.

I'm not sure how to disagree with this more - other than to say, "I DISAGREE!!!!!!!"

This line of thinking is absurd: "Well, we're one of the best in the country at consistently winning, but we haven't won the big one. So let's bring in someone new, even though the odds are that they won't even perform at this level let alone do better. I mean, the last time we fired a coach for performing this well, we went in the crapper. But I'm sure that won't happen again. After all, history never repeats itself."

Hey, take it easy.

My buddy zoogies still dreams of some kind of Callawatts return so we can have a traditional pocket passer who runs like a snapping turtle and we air it out every game. There's a good reason he's always decked out with a NY Jets ballcap & jacket. He can't help himself so it's understandable but even more important...he's a hard-core Husker..

GBR!!

The bold isn't quite true. TO won the Sugar Bowl in his second year. TO finished in the top ten in each of his first 4 years. Etc.

I don't expect that now. But I'm also not willing to settle for being a perpetual also-ran within the conference. At some point we need to win something because we're starting to look like the Notre Dame fans that I laughed at for so many years.

I do plan on hanging tough. I'm a Nebraska fan. I always will be. I want what's best for the school and the program. If that's Pelini, I'm for it. If it's not Pelini, I'm for his successor. Best case: Pelini alleviates my doubts and wins. We'll see.

Sounds fair enough to me. It'll be a wild ride!

GBR!!

I agree with you bshirt. Everyone that has run a business knows that the first few years are a learning experience. It is no different for Bo. He has had to find his way being the head guy in charge. He is still finding his way but I believe every year he is getting closer. Patience is a virtue.

GBR!!

we don't look like ND......even though their record isn't too hot, they are recruiting head and shoulders above NU.

we don't look like ND......even though their record isn't too hot, they are recruiting head and shoulders above NU.

Would you like to trade places? My guess would be no.

Notre Dame

Year-----Recruiting Ranking--- Record

2003 ------------12 --------------- 5-7

2004 ------------ 91 ---------------6-6

2005-------------40-----------------9-3

2006------------- 8 ----------------10-3

2007------------- 8 --------------- 3-9

2008------------- 2----------------- 7-6

2009--------------21---------------- 6-6

2010------------- 14----------------8-5

2011--------------10----------------8-5

2012---------------20

You're a hypocrite.

<snip>

If you're a fan, cheer for your team. Cheer for your coaches. Cheer for your season. Don't be the whiney kid from playground football who doesn't even try because he's upset with the choice of QB. Bo Pelini is our quarterback for our team. Get behind him and stop with the lemming BS and the chicken little sky falling bullcrap.

Did you say that about Bill Callahan? Cheer for ol' Billy C?

I hope so. If not . . . that would make you a hypocrite . . . who happens to be calling others a hypocrite. Doubly hypocritical, I suppose.

(Please don't derail this into why Pelini is so much better than Callahan. He is. Period. Full stop. MUCH BETTER. No comparison. That's not the point. The ultimate question will always be is he good enough for Nebraska? To that I will say: we'll see.)

I cheered for Billy C until the day he was fired...because that's what a real fan does. I also expressed my distaste for some of his decisions but I never forecasted doom and glom like everyone else is.

You know . . . I always thought a real fan cheered for the team. Interesting. Welp, I guess we can't both be right!

Maybe more people should have forecasted doom and gloom and we could have been rid of Callahan earlier. :P

You might want to think this one through.