quarterback situation

how soon will we have a quality quarterback? one that's 4-5 stars, and one that plays in the Army/Under Armour all american game? it seems like we always lose out on good quarterbacks. i know we offered 2014 QB Jerrod Heard and he's pretty high on us for now since were his first offer and all, but once Texas offers he's probably long gone.

with all of this being said, i know TA hasn't even stepped on campus yet and i believe he can be a good player.

i also know there could be 3 star "diamonds in the rough" that could be superstars

how soon will we have a quality quarterback? one that's 4-5 stars, and one that plays in the Army/Under Armour all american game? it seems like we always lose out on good quarterbacks. i know we offered 2014 QB Jerrod Heard and he's pretty high on us for now since were his first offer and all, but once Texas offers he's probably long gone.

with all of this being said, i know TA hasn't even stepped on campus yet and i believe he can be a good player.

i also know there could be 3 star "diamonds in the rough" that could be superstars

We don't need a quality high school QB. We need a quality college QB. I don't care what recruiting gurus think of a kids high school film. You take your shots with evaluating these kids and how they may fit into our system but in the end it's about how well they can adapt and how well we can coach em up! Stars be damned! GBR :D

For what it's worth..........I really believe Tommy Armstrong is going to be a MAJOR force for us at QB.............(in response to your opening query about how soon we will have a quality qb)

Are you measuring "quality" by stars, rankings, recruiting services, or..........................how they eventually produce on the field?

I'll take production on the field for $100 Alex............

Let me give you a rundown of our :star :star :star :star QBs

Total 4* QBs since 2005 - 8

Total record between games stated of all QBs listed - 16-9

Blue indicates QB's record as a starter.

Tommy Armstrong - :star :star :star :star on scout: TBD. 0-0

Bubba Starling (Did not play at NU)- :star :star :star :star on rivals, scout and 24/7: chooses to sign with KC Royals over going to Nebraska. 0-0

Jamal Turner (Moved positions) - :star :star :star :star on rivals, scout and 24/7: moved to WR. 0-0

Brion Carnes - :star :star :star :star on rivals: Completed both of his 2 passes attempted for 26 yards last year as a redshirt freshman. Also ran for -6 yards on 2 attempts (-3 YPC). 0-0

Cody Green (Transfered out of NU) - :star :star :star :star on rivals and scout (originally a 5* on scout): Started In his first two seasons completed 66 of 122 attempts (54%) for 5 TDs, 3 INTs and 657 passing yards. Also ran for 254 yards and 3 TDs on 68 attempts (3.7 YPC). 4*-0

* denotes Oklahoma victory in 2009, because despite being benched after first few drives, Green began the game as the starter.

Zac Lee - :star :star :star :star on rivals and scout: In his three seasons, he completed 189 of 324 attempts (58%) for 14 TDs, 10 INTs and 2,250 passing yards. Also ran for 245 yards and 1 TD on 120 attempts (0.49 YPC). 8-4

Sam Keller (technically a transfer) - :star :star :star :star out of HS on rivals: In his one season, he completed 205 of 325 attempts (63%) for 14 TDs, 10 INTs and 2,422 passing yards. Also ran for -78 yards on 25 attempts (-3.12 YPC). 4-5

Harrison Beck (Transfered out of NU) - :star :star :star :star on rivals and scout: Before transferring, in his freshman year, he complete 1 out of 10 attempts for 21 yards and threw 1 INT. Went on to play two years at N.C. St. where he completed 119 of his 240 attempts (49%) for 4 TDs, 16 INTs for 1,495 yards. 0-0

tommy armstrong is a stud and will be in college. now for our quarterback issues for the 2013 class. if you are looking at 4 and 5 star kids for the 2013 class you are probably not gonna see one on our committment list. A little article showing how many of the top quarterbacks have committed. kind of crazy. 88.5% of 4 and 5 star quarterbacks have committed. 15 of the top 16 pro-style quarterbacks have already committed and 9 out of the top 10 dual threat quarterbacks are already committed. Kind of crazy how fast the QB's are going this year. This doesnt mean we cant get a great QB to commit.

http://247sports.com/Article/Buy-the-numbers-QB-recruiting-74617

For what it's worth..........I really believe Tommy Armstrong is going to be a MAJOR force for us at QB.............(in response to your opening query about how soon we will have a quality qb)

Are you measuring "quality" by stars, rankings, recruiting services, or..........................how they eventually produce on the field?

I'll take production on the field for $100 Alex............

both. we have landed several 4* quarterbacks the last few years, but none of them panned out

tommy armstrong is a stud and will be in college. now for our quarterback issues for the 2013 class. if you are looking at 4 and 5 star kids for the 2013 class you are probably not gonna see one on our committment list. A little article showing how many of the top quarterbacks have committed. kind of crazy. 88.5% of 4 and 5 star quarterbacks have committed. 15 of the top 16 pro-style quarterbacks have already committed and 9 out of the top 10 dual threat quarterbacks are already committed. Kind of crazy how fast the QB's are going this year. This doesnt mean we cant get a great QB to commit.

http://247sports.com...ecruiting-74617

I honestly think Jennings is better than Bailey and Zaire. I don't understand why he's not a :star :star :star :star

Contrary to what people believe... I do think we have a real shot at Jennings. We are the top BCS program right now still in the game for him since Bama, Georiga, and LSU all have their QB's. I know he has visited West Virginia and liked it and he wants to visit UNC, but I do think if we can get him on campus and show him how dual threat we truly are, we have a good shot at landing him. If we don't knab him, we also have a good shot at Kinkade if other major BCS schools closer to home don't come in. The good thing with Kinkade is that UT has their QB in 5* Tyrone Swoopes, A&M has their 2 QB's in two 4* guys, Texas Tech is not a dual threat school and don't have a whole lot to offer, TCU has been a pro style offense, etc... You look at Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and both are pro style QB's.... LSU has their guy, Arkansas usually goes pro style... etc. So really, the schools close to home are full at his position or looking elsewhere which makes me think we have a great shot with him.

Sadly...Turner is/was 3 times the QB that Armstrong is.

Yet to be determined..........

Contrary to what people believe... I do think we have a real shot at Jennings. We are the top BCS program right now still in the game for him since Bama, Georiga, and LSU all have their QB's. I know he has visited West Virginia and liked it and he wants to visit UNC, but I do think if we can get him on campus and show him how dual threat we truly are, we have a good shot at landing him. If we don't knab him, we also have a good shot at Kinkade if other major BCS schools closer to home don't come in. The good thing with Kinkade is that UT has their QB in 5* Tyrone Swoopes, A&M has their 2 QB's in two 4* guys, Texas Tech is not a dual threat school and don't have a whole lot to offer, TCU has been a pro style offense, etc... You look at Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and both are pro style QB's.... LSU has their guy, Arkansas usually goes pro style... etc. So really, the schools close to home are full at his position or looking elsewhere which makes me think we have a great shot with him.

What you said makes sense and all but if we dont get him in for a visit we dont have a chance at him.

Not really. I'm not saying Armstrong won't be good but all of his evaluations coming out of high school by the coaching staff were lower than Turner's were for that position including "leadership". Had there not been as big a media bash session of Taylor for the prior year questioning his leadership and fundamentals, I doubt they would have been as quick to move Turner to take some pressure off of Taylor so he could feel more comfortable as the teams leader. Make no mistake that there was a little bit of "FU I'm the coach and I know best" motive behind Turner's move.

Not really. I'm not saying Armstrong won't be good but all of his evaluations coming out of high school by the coaching staff were lower than Turner's were for that position including "leadership". Had there not been as big a media bash session of Taylor for the prior year questioning his leadership and fundamentals, I doubt they would have been as quick to move Turner to take some pressure off of Taylor so he could feel more comfortable as the teams leader. Make no mistake that there was a little bit of "FU I'm the coach and I know best" motive behind Turner's move.

3211019_o.gif

Wow, really?

If that's the case, I wish Jamal had just stayed at quarterback.

Seriously, let the best man win, let the competition be fierce, all the time. There's no need to baby the starter or give him all the practice time (as was alluded to in another thread, IIRC) at the expense of the backups. If Taylor's the best he should prove it every single day, instead of being given the best possible path *at the expense* of other guys such as Jamal.