B1G Baseball Tourney Attendance

I watched the replay of the MSU game last night and from what I am hearing it was not any better today. If you are hosting a championship tourney and there is no one there why are you hosting? I understand it is in the middle of the day during the work week but that stadium looked totally empty. I understand that when OSU played there was around 1,500 butts in the seats but still.

Having said that where would be a better place to host it to get more interest generated. OF course I am selfish and I say put it in TD Ameritrade or Werner here in Omaha and leave it here cuz I could see a few thousand fans going regularly to a game especially if the Huskers were playing. I would even go to watch a team I am not associated with if the ticket wasn't too expensive. Sounds like it is in Minneapolis next year and then in Omaha the year after that.

What ideas do you have Husker nation? It is little things like this that need to be considered to get B1G baseball on track to improving the product on the field as well as the talent between the chalk. Gotta get more exposure.

I think the venue and where that venue is located matters a lot but there are other factors in play as well. From the sounds of it the ballpark in Columbus really wasn't very well prepared for this tournament at all with grounds crew issues on both days of the tourney so far. Yesterday they weren't prepared for the team to want to take bp on the field and then had to be told to re drag the field before play. Today I guess they over watered the mound so they had to put drying agent on the mound to make it playable delaying the game slightly. How can you expect to grow an event when little things like this hold it back. I am not sure if there are places that it would be better suited to hold in terms of facilities, interest and ability to hold a big time event? Maybe close to Michigan/Michigan St they seem to have at least some attendance at their games. I am not so sure holding it in a MLB stadium like next year in Minneapolis is the best idea as it will just more empty. I know this is a long process and we are just at the beginning but important decisions need to be made if the goal is to improve baseball in the conference and make B1G baseball more relevant.

How well was the Big 12 tourney attended? It was played in a venue similar to the one we are playing in now at Bricktown in OKC correct?

It is sad, I saw a bit of the OSU game and would doubt there were 1500. Makes me think Werner Park would be a better option than TD. It would look better on TV in a smaller venue, may be even a campus location.

you'd have to think if we have a great team in 2014 that the attendance would be high

I think the venue and where that venue is located matters a lot but there are other factors in play as well. From the sounds of it the ballpark in Columbus really wasn't very well prepared for this tournament at all with grounds crew issues on both days of the tourney so far. Yesterday they weren't prepared for the team to want to take bp on the field and then had to be told to re drag the field before play. Today I guess they over watered the mound so they had to put drying agent on the mound to make it playable delaying the game slightly. How can you expect to grow an event when little things like this hold it back. I am not sure if there are places that it would be better suited to hold in terms of facilities, interest and ability to hold a big time event? Maybe close to Michigan/Michigan St they seem to have at least some attendance at their games. I am not so sure holding it in a MLB stadium like next year in Minneapolis is the best idea as it will just more empty. I know this is a long process and we are just at the beginning but important decisions need to be made if the goal is to improve baseball in the conference and make B1G baseball more relevant.

How well was the Big 12 tourney attended? It was played in a venue similar to the one we are playing in now at Bricktown in OKC correct?

Minneapolis wont be good. Who goes to a B1G baseball game when you can go watch a pro game days before or after? Even if the Twins are more like a AAA team with a great catcher right now. Omaha will draw best. Nebraska will get legit crowds and there are more college baseball fans to stick around for the other matchups.

As for the Big 12 Tourney it is really fun. They sold almost 4500 for the 9 A.M. game yesterday with about 3000 showing up.

Minneapolis wont be good. Who goes to a B1G baseball game when you can go watch a pro game days before or after? Even if the Twins are more like a AAA team with a great catcher right now. Omaha will draw best. Nebraska will get legit crowds and there are more college baseball fans to stick around for the other matchups.

As for the Big 12 Tourney it is really fun. They sold almost 4500 for the 9 A.M. game yesterday with about 3000 showing up.

Exactly, I'm pretty sure the attendance in Omaha will make the B1G want to keep it here.

Hey lets move the tournament to one of the cities farthest away from where most Big Ten fans live, that's sure to increase attendance.

If I am not mistaken Columbus is closer to the middle of B1G country and no one is attending now. Why not find a place where people will support it and actually go to the games no matter who is playing and leave it there. Is there a pocket of college baseball fans in the B1G footprint? If so put it there and leave it. Gotta find a way to get more exposure and a greater following for B1G baseball. The conf has a great asset in the BTN lets use it and grow the sport.

So you're saying a conference should cater to one of its team's interests if that team thinks its better or more important/successful/popular than its peers?

58767.jpg

I honestly don't care where it is. I am not saying put it in Omaha at all. I will say that if it was here I would go if the ticket prices were reasonable even if Nebraska was not playing. I am saying put it where people will go to it. From the looks of the crowds so far for any team other than OSU it may as well be played in the middle of a cornfield in central Wisconsin because there are more birds watching it than people. Why put it in a venue that holds 13,000 people when only 100 show up. Why put it in a Community that gets no attention? Why would any city want to bid to host it if no one show up? No wonder B1G baseball is an after thought. Why do you care Bucky you don't have a dog in the hunt anyways? If Badger fans will go watch it I say put it in the stadium the Mallards play in and get after it!

You're right I really don't care I'm just giving you crap. That new stadium they built in Omaha is beautiful and would be a great venue but I honestly don't know if it, or anything else, would ever excite interest in big ten baseball. Hockey trumps it with many schools and that's just too many sports for fans to spend money on.

I am sorry I got a little defensive there. Anytime someone even hints at comparing my views to Texas, the University of Texas or anything having to do with what they stand for in any way it happens it is just a reflex reaction. Please accept my apology Bucky! :hookerhorns

Hey lets move the tournament to one of the cities farthest away from where most Big Ten fans live, that's sure to increase attendance.

There is a movement to keep the Big 12 basketball tournament in Kansas City MISSOURI. And how many teams from the Big 12 are in Missouri?