What ever happened to Marlon Lucky?

Sorry if this topic has been brought up recently. I was just wondering if Marlon caught on anywhere or if he is even doing anything football related these days...He came to Nebraska and most everyone, including me, assumed he would become a star/1st team All-America type. He had a pretty productive career no doubt, just a little underwhelming considering what we thought it would be.

Last I heard he is playing indoor football but he was never picked up by any NFL team after he was signed by the Bengals in 2009. After that he was signed by Washington's indoor team and then in 2011 he signed with omaha. According to Wikipedia, he's currently playing for the Omaha Nighthawks Indoor team.

Professional career

Cincinnati Bengals

Lucky was signed by the Cincinnati Bengals as an undrafted free agent in 2009. He was waived on August 22.

New York Sentinels

Lucky was signed by the New York Sentinels of the United Football League on November 7, 2009. He tried out for the New York Jets shortly after the 2010 NFL Draft.

Omaha Nighthawks

Lucky was signed by the Omaha Nighthawks on July 15, 2011.

Last I heard he is playing indoor football but he was never picked up by any NFL team after he was signed by the Bengals in 2009. Apparently according to Wikipedia, he's currently playing for the Omaha Beef Indoor team.

Wow. There is really no doubt he was an exceptional athlete. Especially his ability to catch the football out of the backfield. I really thought he still would have a chance at having a decent NFL run.

Last I heard he is playing indoor football but he was never picked up by any NFL team after he was signed by the Bengals in 2009. Apparently according to Wikipedia, he's currently playing for the Omaha Beef Indoor team.

Wow. There is really no doubt he was an exceptional athlete. Especially his ability to catch the football out of the backfield. I really thought he still would have a chance at having a decent NFL run.

Sorry I edited my post with the correct information. I think he shot himself in the foot playing the extra season and getting hurt. He was never the same after that in my opinion.

Sorry if this topic has been brought up recently. I was just wondering if Marlon caught on anywhere or if he is even doing anything football related these days...He came to Nebraska and most everyone, including me, assumed he would become a star/1st team All-America type. He had a pretty productive career no doubt, just a little underwhelming considering what we thought it would be.

I had the same info as the folks above. He was just one of those players that was highly touted and didn't pan out.

Sorry I edited my post with the correct information. I think he shot himself in the foot playing the extra season and getting hurt. He was never the same after that in my opinion.

Now that you mention his injury SR year, it makes much more sense now. I totally forgot about that.

Lucky did everything asked of him at Nebraska, but it was hard to see where he could go from there. There's certainly a market in the NFL for RBs who can catch the ball out of the backfield, but those same guys need to be able to hit the hole super fast and/or get the tough yard after contact, and Lucky never looked like that guy. Callahan actually found the best way to use Lucky, and that includes platooning him. Lucky would never have been the featured back on a Tom Osborne team.

Lucky did everything asked of him at Nebraska, but it was hard to see where he could go from there. There's certainly a market in the NFL for RBs who can catch the ball out of the backfield, but those same guys need to be able to hit the hole super fast and/or get the tough yard after contact, and Lucky never looked like that guy. Callahan actually found the best way to use Lucky, and that includes platooning him. Lucky would never have been the featured back on a Tom Osborne team.

I completely agree. He seemed to lack the power and explosiveness when it came to running between the tackles.

I completely agree. He seemed to lack the power and explosiveness when it came to running between the tackles.

we kind of all thought the same thing about Helu though. Lucky played at 215 his senior year, Roy at 220. That's bigger than Rex. I just don't think Lucky ever got a chance to play power football. It wasn't our style, wasn't our scheme and we didn't have the OL to do it.

Wasn't it? He just wasn't a power back. He wasn't even particularly explosive. But he was a real asset in the passing game and did well in space. Lucky had himself a nice career here. But remember, we were a run 50% or more kind of team with a strong OL. Jackson, Glenn, etc, they carried the load for us. Not sure it is accurate to say we didn't have a power game.

we kind of all thought the same thing about Helu though. Lucky played at 215 his senior year, Roy at 220. That's bigger than Rex. I just don't think Lucky ever got a chance to play power football. It wasn't our style, wasn't our scheme and we didn't have the OL to do it.

Wha???

We started 2008 as a "power team" and Lucky couldn't do it, which is why Roy ended up taking over. I remember people calling for Roy to start over Lucky halfway through the season. Roy had game breaking speed, and had the amazing ability to 1-cut and go, and he could go inside. He did bounce outside, but Lucky could only run outside. Helu is the best RB we've had in a decade.

yeah, I agree with that. Helu was really something else. BJax was good too, but Helu had that exceptional gear, and a longer career here not riddled with injury.

Agreed. I vividly remember Helu and his ability to take a carry to the house in the blink of an eye (Mizzou). That and his ability to hurdle a defender... It also goes to show you that recruiting rankings aren't always the best predictor of a career. Take a look at the difference in Lucky's rankings compared to that of Helu.