What ever happened to Marlon Lucky?

Never thought he would make it. I think the Nike camp got him his try out with Clownahan. He played in a small conference in the LA area, was the biggest player on the field most of the time. I was never impressed by him and I think his lack of a killer mode. He just played the game, he never lived the game, in High School or College, the pros got rid of him fast. No animal instinct. I think the talent was there, just no heart. Give Cory Ross that body and talent, wow.

Lucky had hands of glue and was great cruising in the flats. He was also a pretty fine pass blocker.

However, running the ball, "especially" between the tackles was simply not his forte as he ran quite tentatively and had no burst. Clownahan soon realized this and rarely used him for that task anymore.

Lucky himself stated after committing to Nebraska, that he preferred not to get 20+ carries a game, not necessarily the right mindset to be a back in a power system. So, I agree with everyone that his skills were better served as a receiving/pass pro sets.

we kind of all thought the same thing about Helu though. Lucky played at 215 his senior year, Roy at 220. That's bigger than Rex. I just don't think Lucky ever got a chance to play power football. It wasn't our style, wasn't our scheme and we didn't have the OL to do it.

Marlon was a good kid while he was at Nebraska and by all accounts he's a great young man. But he simply didn't have the desire to be physical. He is, and always has been, more of a finese player. If Lucky would have had Bo and Co four his four years he probably would have been a much better and more physical back.

we kind of all thought the same thing about Helu though. Lucky played at 215 his senior year, Roy at 220. That's bigger than Rex. I just don't think Lucky ever got a chance to play power football. It wasn't our style, wasn't our scheme and we didn't have the OL to do it.

The problem with that is Lucky rarely broke tackles. Hard to be an efficient power back when you can't run through contact.

Frankly, I think Callahan actually utilized him the right way. He had incredible hands for a RB, was a dangerous receiving option out of the backfield. I always felt sorry for Marlon. I think he was a good kid who was haunted by the expectations that were heaped upon him coming out of high school. He actually had a nice little career here. But he wasn't a power back at all. He was a finesse guy who posed the greatest threat catching the ball in the flat as a safety valve or running a screen play.

If I had Cory Ross and Lucky on my roster, I'd start Ross on 1st and 2nd for handoffs and toss/sweeps, and bring in Lucky on 3rd down.

• Fire 1

Lucky would not have done any better under Bo.

You have nothing factual to base that on.

Nor did you when claiming the opposite.

Only fact is that Lucky had decent but limited skills, and it's hard to imagine him prospering over Helu, Burkhead, Brandon Jackson or Cory Ross regardless of coach.

Callahan actually found a role for Lucky, which allowed him to be one of the most successful single season receivers in Nebraska history. Lucky wouldn't have had those stats under Pelini or Osborne. That's as close to fact as this kind of speculation gets.

• Fire 1