My Crazy B1G Expansion Idea

Why Notre Dame?

They would secure the NY market and a large national market. Despite how much we may not like them, they have a huge following, more than any other college team in NY and quite possibly the largest fan base in the country.

Also would provide even more marque games for primetime TV.

So to simply put it - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Also they have very strong academics (so much so, that their actually very worried that joining the Big Ten would lower their academic status).

I understand the national fanbase of Notre Dame, but not sure why it would be gain the attention of an entire NY market. Is this where most of the TV ratings come from or what? I figured NY City to be an NFL town and the other parts of the state had large support for Syracuse or other in-state schools. But I live in Omaha, and may not know any better...

Coincidentally, there is a NY Times article from a few months back that provides the distribution of college football fans in New York. And Notre Dame is high on the list:

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-NYCTV-blog480.png

LINK

I'm not sure why Notre Dame has so many fans in NYC. Maybe a lot of Notre Dame grads settle in NYC. Or maybe because the Fighting Irish have a big following among Catholics--and, well, the Irish.

Like in this blog, http://nittanylionsden.com/2012-articles/may/if-the-acc-implodes-big-ten-expansion-scenarios.html I would want Notre Dame, Duke, and North Carolina, and instead of Virginia, I would like to add Kansas. The B1G would have 5 football titans (Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Penn State) and 5 basketball titans (Duke, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, and North Carolina). Yeah, it's highly improbable, but that is who I would take.

I seriously doubt Notre Dame will go to the Big 10--don't underestimate the power of Catholic guilt, and there will be plenty if Notre Dame leaves its Catholic sister schools in the Big East high and dry. Plus, let's not forget that Notre Dame boosters are firmly in support of its football independence, which is why a power move by the Big East could force Notre Dame into the Big XII, who would be willing to onboard their non-football sports.

And the ACC won't implode if Florida State moves on--the ACC is more of a basketball conference, and all of your basketball powers aren't being picked off. Yet.

As for Big 10 active expansion, Florida State and Georgia Tech would both be good additions--strong academic schools, great media markets, good in football and competent in basketball/baseball, and it provides FSU a close moving buddy (not unlike the Louisville to Big XII scenario if only FSU goes from the ACC).

I seriously doubt Notre Dame will go to the Big 10--don't underestimate the power of Catholic guilt, and there will be plenty if Notre Dame leaves its Catholic sister schools in the Big East high and dry. Plus, let's not forget that Notre Dame boosters are firmly in support of its football independence, which is why a power move by the Big East

Google says that no one has ever written that clause before.

3 reasons for Pitt: They are an AAU (academics) member, they have a rivalry with Penn State, and location.

But the biggest negative is their AD! What he did to Nebraska is just beneath contempt. If they change their AD I would welcome them with open arms but just the thought of what he did to NU makes my blood boil!!

I'm sure that's high on Delaney's list of expansion concerns.

It doesn't matter if it is or not. You have to remember Bucky that this is a HUSKER message board. No disrespect intended but that was such a horrible time for us-I don't know if you have any idea how painful it was to watch years and years of tradition trashed by someone who was one of your own. :(

I'm sure Bucky understands. After all, he, as a Badgers fan, has endured years and years of no tradition at all.... :dunno

I seriously doubt Notre Dame will go to the Big 10--don't underestimate the power of Catholic guilt, and there will be plenty if Notre Dame leaves its Catholic sister schools in the Big East high and dry. Plus, let's not forget that Notre Dame boosters are firmly in support of its football independence, which is why a power move by the Big East

Google says that no one has ever written that clause before.

I know, but desperate times, desperate measures. If the Big East is backed into a corner, who knows what they'll do.

Hell, they're liable to come at you sideways like a spider monkey.

3 reasons for Pitt: They are an AAU (academics) member, they have a rivalry with Penn State, and location.

But the biggest negative is their AD! What he did to Nebraska is just beneath contempt. If they change their AD I would welcome them with open arms but just the thought of what he did to NU makes my blood boil!!

I'm sure that's high on Delaney's list of expansion concerns.

It doesn't matter if it is or not. You have to remember Bucky that this is a HUSKER message board. No disrespect intended but that was such a horrible time for us-I don't know if you have any idea how painful it was to watch years and years of tradition trashed by someone who was one of your own. :(

I'm sure Bucky understands. After all, he, as a Badgers fan, has endured years and years of no tradition at all.... :dunno

You make a good point. Wisconsin's history should prevent Pittsburgh from joining. Thanks for showing me the light.