Wisconsin fans @ Memorial Stadium

My last bottom line to clear things up from my end:

If you don't want to get patronized on what it's like to be in a big time league, then drop the acting so surprised about how things went in Madison. No one doubts that you are a wonderful, wonderful, historical program coached by Bo Pelini. It's just puzzling that such a wonderful, wonderful program would spend so much time complaining about the same issues that schools like Indiana and Minnesota do.

well its kind of a wakeup call when you are a new member of a conference and have to deal with it on your first road game. I went up to the Michigan game, sure there are some a$$hole$, most of them were just the college kids when we went to party with them at 9 in the morning, but for the most part they were glad we were in the conference and i heard that hundreds of times. "Thanks for coming, see us again soon." "It's great to have a program like yours in our conference now." and much more. From what i heard, the things that went on in Maddison were equivilent or worse to a road trip to Missouri or Colorado.

Playing devil's advocate, I believe one of the reasons for the discrepancy between visits to Ann Arbor and Madison might be in part to the time of the games. A, you have a night game in Madison, allowing students to do enough beer bongs, power hours, and other assortment of drinking games to become pretty lit, I mean, I know I was. B, Ann Arbor was an early day game, where most students were trying to fight the hangover from the previous night, unless of course it was a fraternity formal. Now, I am not saying the time difference is the ultimate reason for difference of atmospheres, however I do think that giving students the opportunity to drink all day would allow for a rowdier bunch. Again, I know many naysayers will not allow this to be any sort of justification, but Madison is known as a party school so obviously the alcohol might have something to do with the experience. Just look at some of the other examples on this board, 02 Penn State and 07 Virginia Tech, both night games and resulting in numerous negative experiences. It is exhausting for everyone involved on this post to continue to bicker back and forth, ultimately only upsetting the opposite parties more. At this point, it only makes sense to agree to disagree and move on, Jesus, is it football season yet?

We did not play VT in 2007.

I am sorry, that was my mistake. However, my point should've still been able to be understood, there are some hostile environments where night games are less favorable for the visiting fans experiences, compared to the day games.

This is no different then in 99 when Mike Brown destroyed a Texas A&M, leaving him broken on the field right by the part of East Stadium where the students used to sit. Where he was greeted by several cheers and chants that this board would have you believe no Husker fan would ever dream of saying.

This is the difference between "the exception" and "the rule." Nobody is saying that NO Husker fan says stupid crap. There are idiots everywhere. Here, it's the exception. That's all anyone is saying.

EDIT - not five minutes after reading/responding to this, I run across this in Brian Christopherson's article about the 1992 Colorado game (which I was at, and it was crazy):

That was a fun night!

LINK

Memorial Stadium was in, shall we say, rare form that Halloween night.

Police reported 25 ejections, seven arrests, two heart attacks and two fans who were hauled off the field on stretchers during a postgame celebration that included torn-down goal posts.

What about those hospitable fans in the northwest corner of the stadium who’d always applaud the opposing team as they left the field? University police said some were dumping pop on Colorado players.

“I think it was a combination of the opponent, the game and Halloween,” Lincoln Police Capt. John Becker said in the Sunday Journal-Star.

This is no different then in 99 when Mike Brown destroyed a Texas A&M, leaving him broken on the field right by the part of East Stadium where the students used to sit. Where he was greeted by several cheers and chants that this board would have you believe no Husker fan would ever dream of saying.

This is the difference between "the exception" and "the rule." Nobody is saying that NO Husker fan says stupid crap. There are idiots everywhere. Here, it's the exception. That's all anyone is saying.

EDIT - not five minutes after reading/responding to this, I run across this in Brian Christopherson's article about the 1992 Colorado game (which I was at, and it was crazy):

That was a fun night!

LINK

Police reported 25 ejections, seven arrests, two heart attacks and two fans who were hauled off the field on stretchers during a postgame celebration that included torn-down goal posts.

What about those hospitable fans in the northwest corner of the stadium who’d always applaud the opposing team as they left the field? University police said some were dumping pop on Colorado players.

“I think it was a combination of the opponent, the game and Halloween,” Lincoln Police Capt. John Becker said in the Sunday Journal-Star.

Yeah. Poor Colorado.

Underdog Nebraska beats CU despite unruly atmosphere

By By JOE BONGE

Published: Sunday, November 27, 2005

Updated: Sunday, June 17, 2012 18:06<p class="addthis_toolbox addthis_default_style ">

2006842957.jpg

CHRIS VANKAT/DN

A lone Colorado fan cheers in the empty student section during the fourth quarter of the Huskers lopsided 30-3 victory over the Buffs. Two of the CU student sections were cleared after students began throwing bottles and other debris

It all started at midfield before Nebraska and Colorado even lined up for the opening kickoff.

As the two teams warmed up, the Colorado players converged on the 50-yard line jumping up and down with their helmets ritualistically raised to the sky.

The tension mounted and soon Nebraska Offensive Coordinator Jay Norvell and several referees stood as the final barrier between the teams as they taunted each other.

Nebraska Coach Bill Callahan called the incident "out of hand" and said he was happy the players kept their composure.

"I don't know if the league or commissioner will do anything about that, but I don't think it's necessary to be taunted and to try to intimidate an opponent," Callahan said.

No punches were thrown and no penalties were flagged, but the pre-game fracas before Nebraska's 30-3 win on Saturday highlighted the strangest game NU has been a part of this season.

"When they started talking trash at the 50, I think that was their mistake," NU defensive end Jay Moore said. "And it only gave this team more fuel to come out and win."

NU came into the contest a 14-point underdog to the Big 12 Conference North Division-leading Buffaloes. But the Huskers kept a lid on the CU offense, allowing 212 yards of total offense and just 53 rushing yards – much to the chagrin of the Colorado faithful.

Nebraska dominated the first half and took a 17-3 lead into halftime. After NU quarterback Zac Taylor found wide receiver Nate Swift for a 21-yard touchdown pass with 6:30 left in the third quarter, the Colorado student section voiced their displeasure.

Through the rest of the game, bottles rained down on the field from the CU student section, causing officials to stop play multiple times.

At one point midway through the fourth quarter, two sections of Colorado students were ejected from the game, stopping play during a Nebraska drive for almost 10 minutes.

Colorado Coach Gary Barnett said there was nothing he could do about the unruly behavior.

"They probably felt the same frustration that all of us felt today and they just had some things they could throw," Barnett said. "They're just a microcosm of what we were feeling inside as well and we just couldn't do anything about it."

Nebraska put up 498 total yards of offense up on the Buffaloes, but the West Coast offense wasn't the only thing running wild on the field.

Twice during the game – once in the second quarter and once in the fourth quarter – a fan breached the sidelines and scrambled onto the field.

The series of strange events, which culminated with the biggest surprise of the day in NU's 27-point upset, was set in motion at midfield before a ball was ever put in play.

"The entire Buffalo team came out tough, talking trash and acting as if they have always owned this division," NU linebacker Corey McKeon said. "But we came out with heart, with fire, and our team pounded them from start to finish."

• Fire 1

That was a fun night!

LINK

Yeah. Poor Colorado.

Underdog Nebraska beats CU despite unruly atmosphere

By By JOE BONGE

Published: Sunday, November 27, 2005

Updated: Sunday, June 17, 2012 18:06<p class="addthis_toolbox addthis_default_style ">

2006842957.jpg

CHRIS VANKAT/DN

A lone Colorado fan cheers in the empty student section during the fourth quarter of the Huskers lopsided 30-3 victory over the Buffs. Two of the CU student sections were cleared after students began throwing bottles and other debris

It all started at midfield before Nebraska and Colorado even lined up for the opening kickoff.

As the two teams warmed up, the Colorado players converged on the 50-yard line jumping up and down with their helmets ritualistically raised to the sky.

The tension mounted and soon Nebraska Offensive Coordinator Jay Norvell and several referees stood as the final barrier between the teams as they taunted each other.

Nebraska Coach Bill Callahan called the incident "out of hand" and said he was happy the players kept their composure.

"I don't know if the league or commissioner will do anything about that, but I don't think it's necessary to be taunted and to try to intimidate an opponent," Callahan said.

No punches were thrown and no penalties were flagged, but the pre-game fracas before Nebraska's 30-3 win on Saturday highlighted the strangest game NU has been a part of this season.

"When they started talking trash at the 50, I think that was their mistake," NU defensive end Jay Moore said. "And it only gave this team more fuel to come out and win."

NU came into the contest a 14-point underdog to the Big 12 Conference North Division-leading Buffaloes. But the Huskers kept a lid on the CU offense, allowing 212 yards of total offense and just 53 rushing yards – much to the chagrin of the Colorado faithful.

Nebraska dominated the first half and took a 17-3 lead into halftime. After NU quarterback Zac Taylor found wide receiver Nate Swift for a 21-yard touchdown pass with 6:30 left in the third quarter, the Colorado student section voiced their displeasure.

Through the rest of the game, bottles rained down on the field from the CU student section, causing officials to stop play multiple times.

At one point midway through the fourth quarter, two sections of Colorado students were ejected from the game, stopping play during a Nebraska drive for almost 10 minutes.

Colorado Coach Gary Barnett said there was nothing he could do about the unruly behavior.

"They probably felt the same frustration that all of us felt today and they just had some things they could throw," Barnett said. "They're just a microcosm of what we were feeling inside as well and we just couldn't do anything about it."

Nebraska put up 498 total yards of offense up on the Buffaloes, but the West Coast offense wasn't the only thing running wild on the field.

Twice during the game – once in the second quarter and once in the fourth quarter – a fan breached the sidelines and scrambled onto the field.

The series of strange events, which culminated with the biggest surprise of the day in NU's 27-point upset, was set in motion at midfield before a ball was ever put in play.

"The entire Buffalo team came out tough, talking trash and acting as if they have always owned this division," NU linebacker Corey McKeon said. "But we came out with heart, with fire, and our team pounded them from start to finish."

I remember watching that game, being first hacked at hearing what had happened, then finding it oh so humorous when they emptied out the student section. Too good. If I recall correctly, Barnett even got on the stadium sound system, and tried to defuse the situation prior to removing the students, and that didn't help either.