It's official...4-team playoff approved

Two main topics that need further discussion are how teams will be selected and how revenue will be distributed.

LINK

(from espn article). How can they say they've settled on a 4-team playoff if they haven't agreed on team selection and revenue distribution?? Aren't those the two overwhelmingly most important issues?

I'm not sure how this is different from a plus-one model.

I never quite understand what people mean by "plus-one", and I think they often say different things. Some say that you play the bowls like you did in the old days and then match 1 vs 2 post-bowl. That solves almost nothing. There's no guarantee whatsoever that you'll have any clearer 1 vs 2 after the bowls than before. The other "plus-one" model I've heard is to seed 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 in the bowls. That's just a 4 team playoff and I've never figured out why people call it anything else.

Big step in the right direction, but the 12 year deal...not so much. I think Herbstreit's worries that these games will lose the essence of college football and be more of a corporerate bonanza like the super bowl will come true. We'll just have to see how fairness plays out with former non-AQ teams and non-conference champions from the SEC.

Big step in the right direction, but the 12 year deal...not so much. I think Herbstreit's worries that these games, and probably the CCG's too, are going to lose the essence of college football and be more of a corporerate bonanza like the super bowl will come true. We'll just have to see how fairness plays out with former non-AQ teams and non-conference champions from the SEC.

I have a hard time thinking that the Boise St's, TCU's , etc., are still going to be able to sniff the "playoffs"

Two main topics that need further discussion are how teams will be selected and how revenue will be distributed.

LINK

(from espn article). How can they say they've settled on a 4-team playoff if they haven't agreed on team selection and revenue distribution?? Aren't those the two overwhelmingly most important issues?

It looks to me like they did decide it. From that article:

The group also announced the creation of a selection committee that will rank the teams to play in the playoff, "giving all the teams an equal opportunity to participate." The committee will consider win-loss record, strength of schedule, head-to-head results and whether a team is a conference champion.

The commissioners have agreed in principle as to how the revenue will be divided, according to Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, but that has not been made public yet.

I'm ok with a 4-team playoff...but not like this. At all. So basically...the B1G has conceded that they're ok with playing essentially two bowl games back-to-back in the SEC's backyard for 12 years, with the exception of the Fiesta and (Rose?), still warm-weather sites.

Oh...and get used to seeing two SEC teams in the Final Four.

ESPN must be loving this.

I'm ok with a 4-team playoff...but not like this. At all. So basically...the B1G has conceded that they're ok with playing essentially two bowl games back-to-back in the SEC's backyard for 12 years, with the exception of the Fiesta and (Rose?), still warm-weather sites.

Oh...and get used to seeing two SEC teams in the Final Four.

ESPN must be loving this.

i get that same feeling

Interesting read from Andy Rittenberg of ESPN, in case you haven't seen it. I find the title really funny. 'Playoff plan not a total loss for Big Ten.' But essentially...it really is. Leave it to an ESPN writer to pretend to give hope to any other conference in this new playoff.

http://espn.go.com/b...oss-for-big-ten

I guess as college football fans in the B1G...the motto may be 'be careful what you wish for.' Or...'be careful what your conference heads can't do for your conference.'

So is it possible to see 3-4 $EC schools in this four team playoff in one year?

I'd say two will be common...but Delaney got the 'selection committee' approved, so I'd say it's unlikely that a committee would approve three SEC schools for the playoffs.

LINK

It looks to me like they did decide it. From that article:

The group also announced the creation of a selection committee that will rank the teams to play in the playoff, "giving all the teams an equal opportunity to participate." The committee will consider win-loss record, strength of schedule, head-to-head results and whether a team is a conference champion.

The commissioners have agreed in principle as to how the revenue will be divided, according to Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, but that has not been made public yet.

"agreed in principle" and "will consider". I believe these politik speak words mean the issue is on the table, but not yet decided.