It's official...4-team playoff approved

I don't agree with Perlman. I respect him for sticking to his guns, not wavering in the face of the Twitter police. Perlman is what he is, a voice from the past, a product of a day when the bowls, like the dinosaurs, ruled the Earth. That day is over now. But Perlman was merely making a last gasp effort in the name of a system that was very good to the game, but doesn't work so well anymore. This was Harvey's last stand. The bowls supporters' last stand.

But if you think Perlman was acting alone, you weren't paying attention Tuesday. He was the face of the old guard, but he had company.

LINK

A pretty fair characterization by Tom Shatel. He does a great job of discussing Perlman's opinion without tearing the guy down. :thumbs:

who, besides me, think they're going to find a way to F this up?

Oh you know they will. There will be so many people pissed off it won't even be funny.

See post #34 become a reality.

It better not....last year's top 4 might of been Alabama, LSU, OSU and Oregon. You could also throw Stanford in the mix as well.

This seemingly solves nothing but gets people off the NCAAs back for saying that the two in the mnc "won their way in". The fact that this is going to selection committee will raise the same arguments and crap that the BCS did. Every year there will be bickering about who got in and so on. IMO, this will be an 8 team playoff at the end of the run.

I flip flop back and forth on this from time to time but I just don't see the ultimate importance of determining an exact true national champion. I think there is room in this world for college football to do it differently than most other sports. So what if there is not a playoff? So what if there are a couple teams who can reasonably claim to be the real natl champs in any given season? Isn't this debate what makes college football special and different? 1997- Nebraska and Michigan. In a sick sort of way I find it more fun and rewarding to know that the Huskers would've annihilated Griese rather than actually playing them and proving it. In the grand scheme, I just don't feel it is that important to have a playoff system that removes all doubt who the real champ is. I still prefer, without a doubt, college football, the bowls, and BCS to the NFL playoffs. I do not see where any logical and legitimate playoff system can fit in college football if the desired notion is that these are still student athletes competing and not some sort of professional money generating machines. The what if's and debate are what makes college football special and unique. I, for one, do not need that ruined by some big money corporate circus of a playoff.

I apologize for this post ahead of time....its a scenario and one that might not ever see daylight....but with the SEC bias in this country lets say the following happens

Ohio State goes 11-0

Boise State goes 11-0

Oklahoma goes 11-0

Virginia Tech goes 11-0

Michigan goes 10-1 losing to Ohio State

Alabama goes 10-1 losing to Florida (wins the SEC)

LSU goes 10-1 losing to Alabama

Who are the four teams in the playoff?....Do they really think anyone expects us to believe that the SEC would be left out?....Michigan would have to be the "first" +1 in this scenario dont they?......i guess my point is that they need to take the human element out of the equation.....my guess is that Bama gets in (screwing Michigan and Boise State) along with VT, OSU, and OU?......its just a scenario and one that rarely will happen, but with last nights big revelation that this playoff is the greatest thing to ever happen to college football fans, i would have thought they would have made it a little more air tight than they did......

change for the sake of change isnt progress

The selection committee will have it's work cut out for them, and it's obvious that a lot of people will be pissed each year when their team is snuffed, but this is at least a step in the right direction. As it stands, only one game exists to determine a college football champion. One game. I have strong doubts that this format will exist in a decade, or that more teams won't eventually be added to the mix. At least now, however, we can have four teams duke it on the playing field rather than have two teams get put on a pedestal and thrust into a B.S. championship game.

I like this for the fact that the team that wins these 2 games can clearly be called the champion. They probably made it through the season undefeated, or with one close loss to a top team, and then beat 2 top 4 teams back to back. No question they deserve the crystal football.

I, for one, would liked to have seen Nebraska play Penn State in '94, and Michigan in '97. And don't forget Texas in '70. They claim to share a title with us that year because the obsolete UPI named them the champs before Notre Dame demolished them in the bowl game while we EARNED our title by besting LSU.

Anyway, I think this is progress.

I apologize for this post ahead of time....its a scenario and one that might not ever see daylight....but with the SEC bias in this country lets say the following happens

Ohio State goes 11-0

Boise State goes 11-0

Oklahoma goes 11-0

Virginia Tech goes 11-0

Who are the four teams in the playoff?....Do they really think anyone expects us to believe that the SEC would be left out?....Michigan would have to be the "first" +1 in this scenario dont they?......i guess my point is that they need to take the human element out of the equation.....my guess is that Bama gets in (screwing Michigan and Boise State) along with VT, OSU, and OU?......its just a scenario and one that rarely will happen, but with last nights big revelation that this playoff is the greatest thing to ever happen to college football fans, i would have thought they would have made it a little more air tight than they did......

Why not throw in an undefeated Pac 12 team too? And Big East while we're at it? Anyone can dream up a scenario against any proposal. But how many times in the last 50 years have there really been more than 4 teams who should get a shot at the championship?

Ohio State goes 11-0

Boise State goes 11-0

Oklahoma goes 11-0

Virginia Tech goes 11-0

Why not throw in an undefeated Pac 12 team too? And Big East while we're at it? Anyone can dream up a scenario against any proposal. But how many times in the last 50 years have there really been more than 4 teams who should get a shot at the championship?

I'm guessing I missed the point of your post, which was the supposed SEC bias. It wasn't that long ago that Auburn was the odd team out when 3 teams were unbeaten. As far as last year goes, here were the 3 teams in the mix for #2:

Team A, which lost in OT to the #1 team, albeit at home

Team B, which lost badly at home to a team that Team A beat pretty easily on a neutral field

Team C, which lost to a team with a losing record

Is it really a bias to pick Team A? And is it really wrong of people to think highly of the conference that produced the last 4 title winners?

I don't like the way the SEC has done it either. But you need to fix the rules and the enforcement of them, don't just keep them out because they are too good.

But how many times in the last 50 years have there really been more than 4 teams who should get a shot at the championship?

Past 5 years.

2011: 1 team with 0 losses, 4 teams with 1 loss

2010: 3 teams with 0 losses, 5 teams with 1 loss

2009: 5 teams with 0 losses, 1 team with 1 loss

2008: 2 teams with 0 losses, 7 teams with 1 loss

2007: 1 team with 0 losses, 2 teams with 1 loss, 10 teams with 2 losses

• Fire 2

people always talk about a playoff diminishing the regular season, but what diminishes the regular season more than a good team losing one game and no longer having anything to play for other than maybe the cotton bowl (in our past case). there should be at least 8 teams (and keep the rest of the bowls for everyone else, because hey, one more game). the argument between 8-9 would be laughable, but between 4-5-6 will be pretty serious.

edit: i really liked sauders' point.

In your situation I would see the following:

Definitely in :

Ohio State goes 11-0

Oklahoma goes 11-0

Debatable :

Virginia Tech goes 11-0

Out:

Boise State goes 11-0

I suspect they would look at SOS of these 3 teams to decide which one deserves the #4 spot - and I suspect ACC will get hosed again with it really coming down to Michigan and LSU, starting the next chain of conference realignment ;)

In your situation I would see the following:

Definitely in :

Ohio State goes 11-0

Oklahoma goes 11-0

Debatable :

Virginia Tech goes 11-0

Out:

Boise State goes 11-0

I suspect they would look at SOS of these 3 teams to decide which one deserves the #4 spot - and I suspect ACC will get hosed again with it really coming down to Michigan and LSU, starting the next chain of conference realignment ;)

Just nit-picking here but I don't see how, if OSU goes undefeated, Michigan can only have one loss to Ohio State with the same amount of games played. Wouldn't Michigan have to play OSU again in the CCG?

What do you think the odds are that in 2025 (that's when this contract expires correct?) they bump it up to 8 teams (maybe 12), allowing conference champions (they would be Big 12 Big 10, Pac 12, and SEC) and the rest wildcards?

Even better, any chance in 2025 we see home site playoffs and a championship game either bid by city or rotating through current BCS bowls?