Barfknecht: Does Penn State belong in Big Ten?

NUance

Has PSU and Ohio State's fall from grace dampened anyone's enthusiasm for this conference? I think I know the answer but will ask anyway.

Lizzy Seeberg & Declan Sullivan appreciate your concern.

Douche

I was thinking how much fun we would have had at the BIG's expense............now that we are a part of that................not so much...........

Similar to how we scoffed at the notion of a "brutal in-conference schedule that resulted in tearing each other up"...........until last year when we didn't compete at the level we thought we would.......

You got the hardest Big1 schedule that possibly exist. No Purdue, IU, Zook-led Illinois. Yes @Wisc, Mich, Sparty, @ PSU, and anOSU. Simply put, most of your opps were far above their historical averages.

Douche

"Hypocrite, cast first the beam out of thy own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to take out the mote from thy brother's eye."

The football program for the school in your moniker is actively connected with the deaths of students and you are yammering on about other programs 'falls from grace'? Get your own house in order first next time.

We didn't really see big issues with Colorado and Utah joining the pac? I think it's more of a southern culture mentality.

...and honestly we don't see it with Mizzou. I should amend my previous statement. A&M is drawing most of the ire and I think I know why. Just barely enough potential and history to be threatening but also plenty to make fun of...the yell leaders, the inferiority complex, etc...

We didn't really see big issues with Colorado and Utah joining the pac? I think it's more of a southern culture mentality.

FWIW Colorado was already pretty well aligned culturally with the PAC just as Nebraska was with the B1G.

That being said I think much of the disdain directed towards A&M & Missouri stems from the fans of the two new members continually tripping over themselves...

ncf_e_sec-tee01jr_300.jpg

More Aggie being Aggie

The new guys are so desperate to be liked. A&M's painful "welcome" video they deleted less than 12 hours after posting...Mizzou's yellow and black confederate flag with "Southern at Heart" written across that they had pulled and threatened legal action against anyone even mentioning.....its hilarious to watch.

The new guys are so desperate to be liked.

That really sums it up right there.

Actually I might replace 'liked' with 'seen as important'.

You have Missouri fans swearing up and down that Mizzou actually turned down the B1G (Nebraska was only offered after said rejection) and was the first choice of the SEC.

I don't think anyone associates what happened at PSU with being a B1G issue. It's solely a PSU issue.

I'm so sick of this damn story, I wish it would just go away. As long as those responsible aren't in power at PSU anymore, their punishment from an NCAA and/or conference standpoint should just be a small/modest one. Kicking them out of the B1G would accomplish nothing at all. At least give PSU a chance to move on from this.

I'm so sick of this damn story, I wish it would just go away.

Be prepared to stay sick for a while, we are still just at the beginning of this unfortunate story.

As long as those responsible aren't in power at PSU anymore, their punishment from an NCAA and/or conference standpoint should just be a small/modest one. Kicking them out of the B1G would accomplish nothing at all. At least give PSU a chance to move on from this.

As long as the 'new' people in power are from the same insular group then nothing is going to change in State College. Until the administration is purged of Paterno lackeys & sycophants there will be no true moving on.

I'm so sick of this damn story, I wish it would just go away. As long as those responsible aren't in power at PSU anymore, their punishment from an NCAA and/or conference standpoint should just be a small/modest one. Kicking them out of the B1G would accomplish nothing at all. At least give PSU a chance to move on from this.

Be prepared to stay sick for a while, unfortunately we are still just at the beginning of this story.

That's the disgusting thing.

Between 11 and 30 more victims are either known or expected to come forward, according to an inside source. May or may not be true, but so far every awful thing we've heard has ended up being 100% true. The Curley/Schultz/Spanier investigation will be pretty goddamn unbearable.

That's the disgusting thing.

Between 11 and 30 more victims are either known or expected to come forward, according to an inside source. May or may not be true, but so far every awful thing we've heard has ended up being 100% true. The Curley/Schultz/Spanier investigation will be pretty goddamn unbearable.

Justice, by it's very nature, should not be comfortable.

You have Missouri fans swearing up and down that Mizzou actually turned down the B1G (Nebraska was only offered after said rejection) and was the first choice of the SEC.

haha I've seen that too, glad to see I'm not the only one that remembers it differently, granted I was busy moving my family from Wisconsin to Alabama at the time and didn't get the whole story. If I recall correctly there were plenty of rumors that we were going to invite Nebraska and/or Missouri. Then Colorado jumped ship kind of unexpectedly, then the Governor of Missouri and all kinds of people connected to Mizzou were talking up a potential move to the Big Ten and bam Nebraska got invited and they were left out in the cold...I don't remember inviting them and being turned down.

Uhhh.....PSU should stay.

The football players and the alumni across the world had nothing to do with it. Dumb coaches and administration. Those dopes can be fired and/or imprisoned.

Not to mention the money they generate:

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/

kicking out a big moneymaker is not good business policy.

haha I've seen that too, glad to see I'm not the only one that remembers it differently, granted I was busy moving my family from Wisconsin to Alabama at the time and didn't get the whole story. If I recall correctly there were plenty of rumors that we were going to invite Nebraska and/or Missouri. Then Colorado jumped ship kind of unexpectedly, then the Governor of Missouri and all kinds of people connected to Mizzou were talking up a potential move to the Big Ten and bam Nebraska got invited and they were left out in the cold...I don't remember inviting them and being turned down.

You pretty much nailed it. From the Nebraska point of view, Missouri went on an all out rampage to get invited into the B1G, all it took from us was a pone call from Harv, and it was done.