A Warming Seat For Bo Pelini?

We've gone over this. Urban Meyer himself said he didn't take the Nebraska job in part because of the way they fired Frank. He said it during a broadcast of a game last year, or in some interview or something. There's a link floating around here that I'm too lazy to find right now.

yeah, but that's an easy cop out thing to say. and it's definitely something a coach would say because they are loyal to their peers

Or maybe he said it because it's true?

Meyer was never coming to Nebraska even if Frank would have moved to AD. He was offered the ND job, his dream job and he turned it down to take Florida. He was looking for talent and Florida had it by the boat loads, Nebraska nor ND had the level of athletes to win the MNC and that was his main objective. If you are walking in to a program, have the shelves full.

He also stated at the time he would never consider a job that had fired a 9 win coach.

I think we are little better as a destination, but we are rapidly falling it seems. Another 5 years of what we have now and it will be harder to find a replacement of quality. We will be forced to again choose an unqualifed head coach. Bo needs to turn the corner on being a head coach, moving forward and getting the kids he needs to win and do it regularly, we are expected to lose all the tough games, we need to start winning some of them. I know Michigan State last year, but most truly felt Sparty was exhausted and would be hard pressed to win that game.

I think we will see how good we are at UCLA. I expect them to give us a good game, and I anxious to see how Bo prepares for it.

I'm pretty sure we all remember the ridiculousness that ensued after a firing for the exact same reason. Personally, I'd rather go the next 30 years winning 9 games every year, than to have another $#!tstorm like the Calliban.

as you mentioned, the firing wasn't the problem - it was the hiring that followed. not in any way supporting Pelini's firing - but I hate how people all assume that the next coach would just be another Callahan and we'd be guaranteeing ourselves 5 wins seasons. If that's the case then you'd wouldn't get rid of him if he was winning 7 or 8 games a year either.

Maybe I am in the vast minority on this...but I had a huge problem with the firing...It was not Nebraska like in any way.

you had a problem with it (and I certainly don't think you are in the vast minority - especially in retrospect) - but the firing didn't cause 4 crappy seasons...the hiring lost us all those games, not the firing.

We would have not had the hiring if it were not for the firing correct? :) I knew it was going to be a dumpster fire once all the offers to coaches were being turned down one by one...

One led directly to the other. No legit coach is taking a job where a 9 or 10 win season can get you fired.

Yes an no. Would you rather take over 5-7 program that has been in this crapper for year, or a team 2 years removed from a national championship and just coming off a 10 win season. If you're talking about only job security, you might have a better chance of success at the 10 win program than the 5-7 program.

Perhaps, but the expectations are much higher, and the job security is much lower. You have to take into account that the team 2 years removed from a title game and coming off a 10 win season just fired their coach. So it's stands to reason you'd be working for a f'ing moron.

Which is precisely why we ended up with just fired Clownahan. He was the only one who would take it.

I'm pretty sure we all remember the ridiculousness that ensued after a firing for the exact same reason. Personally, I'd rather go the next 30 years winning 9 games every year, than to have another $#!tstorm like the Calliban.

as you mentioned, the firing wasn't the problem - it was the hiring that followed. not in any way supporting Pelini's firing - but I hate how people all assume that the next coach would just be another Callahan and we'd be guaranteeing ourselves 5 wins seasons. If that's the case then you'd wouldn't get rid of him if he was winning 7 or 8 games a year either.

The reason we ended up with Callahan is that Nobody else wanted to take a job where we just fired a guy that won 9 games even though the previous year he only won 7. Now some think we'd be able to hire a top tier coach if we fired a guy who just won 9 or more games for four straight years? That just isn't a reasonable assumption in the least.

The real question is who is gonna come coach a team that fires its coach for only winning 9 games in a 12 game season? Not winning a conference championship in a BCS AQ conference?

Not saying it will happen. But if Bo does leave Nebraska. I wouldn't expect an outside hire, it would be in-house and not by choice, no matter how they try to spin it. If they somehow get an outside hire, it will be a person that has no where close to the coaching career Bo had coming in here. Plus Bo would get picked up by another school quicker than a Whopper dropped off at a Fat Camp.

The only way i see Bo getting fired, it won't be because of his temper, but a slipping win-loss record that tips from the 3 or 4 loss a season, to 6 - 8 losses a seasons, and with something like that, his temper will probably be worse than we have ever seen Bo.

The real question is who is gonna come coach a team that fires its coach for only winning 9 games in a 12 game season? Not winning a conference championship in a BCS AQ conference?

Not saying it will happen. But if Bo does leave Nebraska. I wouldn't expect an outside hire, it would be in-house and not by choice, no matter how they try to spin it. If they somehow get an outside hire, it will be a person that has no where close to the coaching career Bo had coming in here. Plus Bo would get picked up by another school quicker than a Whopper dropped off at a Fat Camp.

The only way i see Bo getting fired, it won't be because of his temper, but a slipping win-loss record that tips from the 3 or 4 loss a season, to 6 - 8 losses a seasons, and with something like that, his temper will probably be worse than we have ever seen Bo.

i can't see him losing 6 or 8 games in any season here.......now if he starts losing 4 and 5 games on a regular basis, that would get him gone.

We've gone over this. Urban Meyer himself said he didn't take the Nebraska job in part because of the way they fired Frank. He said it during a broadcast of a game last year, or in some interview or something. There's a link floating around here that I'm too lazy to find right now.

yeah, but that's an easy cop out thing to say. and it's definitely something a coach would say because they are loyal to their peers - and I'm sure many of them are tiring of the coaching carousel they go through each year. bottom line, he wasn't even legitimately considering the job in the first place - so he could have said he didn't like corn and it wouldn't have mattered one bit, he wasn't coming here for a multitude of other reasons. just like a recruit claiming it's too cold...well there are a bunch of other reasons that went into them not choosing nebraska...it's well beyond the cold.

Link? Or it's BS. You have no way of knowing what he was thinking.

[uM was at Utah (pre-BCS buster), and Nebraska was 2 seasons removed from playing for the National title. Pretty sure that NU was a better job, except for the fact that the AD was a dumbass.

Peterson was a dumbass, but Urban wanted an out in his contract to coach at ND (his supposed dream job) and Peterson wanted him to be all in at NU and that is where the negotiations ended.

Bo has a very bad reputation outside the state of Nebraska due to his temper and how inconsistent his teams are. He would get picked up as a DC at a major school, but if he was going to be a HC again, he would have to go to a lower level confernce like the MAC.

The reason we ended up with Callahan is that Nobody else wanted to take a job where we just fired a guy that won 9 games even though the previous year he only won 7. Now some think we'd be able to hire a top tier coach if we fired a guy who just won 9 or more games for four straight years? That just isn't a reasonable assumption in the least.

That may have been part of it, but the real reasons were that the 2004 roster was terrible (no depth and only had 5 commits at the time of his firing) and the expectations were still there. IMO that was Peterson's biggest mistake was firing Frank a year too early. He should have let Frank complete his failure and stop the bowl streak himself and then there wouldn't' have been a split in the fan base and we could have gotten a better HC in 2005.

That may have been part of it, but the real reasons were that the 2004 roster was terrible (no depth and only had 5 commits at the time of his firing) and the expectations were still there. IMO that was Peterson's biggest mistake was firing Frank a year too early. He should have let Frank complete his failure and stop the bowl streak himself and then there wouldn't' have been a split in the fan base and we could have gotten a better HC in 2005.

yeah, but then it would have been harder to have fired Peterson, who has to have been the worst AD we've ever had

Unless you've got some crystal ball your statements are pure, 100% dream-bubble fantasy speculation. Nothing more. But for you dreaming up instant destruction for Frank and/or Bo if Pedeyshine could have somehow been locked up in a cage for another year is just crazy.

NU would have been 10,000 times better off (then "and" now) firing Pedeyshine than Frank and/or Bo.

• Fire 1

This is just like T.O's career. After a few 9 game games seasons it's not good enough at the time, but when you look back it's the staple of a hall of fame career. Keep winning Bo, eventually he will get a few key players/breaks and have a breakthrough season then he will get a foothold on the next level...