Traffic Ticket from Automated Camera - Any Advice?

Crap. I got a traffic violation in the mail today. It was one of those automated traffic lights in Council Bluffs.

Apparently there is also a video. I am making a right turn on a red light. I slow down considerably, but still roll around the corner approximately 5 mph - an illegal "rolling stop" according to Carter Lake laws. There are several cars perpendicular to myself turning left at the light, indicating that either a) they had a turn arrow and no traffic was headed in the direction I was turning or b) that no cars were headed in the direction I was turning, because these cars would not be turning into incoming traffic. Either way, I am at fault for a rolling stop.

Anyone know if I have any recourse here? Anyone have any experience in these?

The ticket is $100, which isn't bad in itself, but considering the amount of time I actually spend in Iowa (almost nil), its the principal of putting money into their economy at this point.

Some things I have read online indicate a few things in other states:

• In some cases a judge will dismiss a case if a representative of the automated ticketing company fails to make an appearance. Because no one has appeared to authenticate the photo/video, you may object to the evidence for a lack of foundation.
  • In certain areas, the owner of the vehicle is not liable if the person driving is not the owner. Without identification that the owner is in fact driving, the ticket is not enforceable.
  • Lack of signage or lack of visible signage posted to notice that video ticketing surveillance is present. Basically, if they don't post that they're taping you, the video/photo is not permissible.

If you're really curious, here's Carter Lake's Municipal Code: cityofcarterlake.com, Chapters 60-70

And if anyone is interested, here's the link for each state's automated enforcement laws: iihs.org

And here's the lights in Council Bluffs, courtesy of photoenforced.com

post-6882-0-92082300-1341947992.jpg

35th & Broadway got me

If anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated.

First, call the prosecuting attorney and politely ask if he can make you an offer. That's probably your only shot at something less than $100. Don't make excuses and freely admit that you were in the wrong.

I don't know Iowa law regarding traffic cameras but your second and third bullet points sound unlikely. The first is probably true (a witness has to show up at trial) but odds are that the witness is paid (often paid overtime) to testify and they will probably be at trial. Plus . . . if you do set it for trial and are found guilty (likely) you will have to pay the ticket and be out the time that you spent waiting in court.

Easiest and probably best option: pay the ticket.

• Fire 1

an illegal "rolling stop" according to Carter Lake laws.

Um...I don't think this is unique to Carter Lake.

I like Carlfense's post, to see if the prosecuter will cut you a deal. Otherwise, any attempts to weasel out of this might seem kind of, um, weasel-ish.

You admittedly broke the law and got caught. Sometimes in life you just gotta take a bite out of a sh!t sandwich and move on.

I hope this isnt a sign of the future. Unfortunaltely it will be soon enough when every decent size city has cameras. Just another way for the government to control us and get some cheap cash.

How about this bright idea: don't break traffic laws.

How about this bright idea: don't break traffic laws.

Ptsh. And you're probably one of those people going exactly 65 on the way down to husker games that slows down the whole damn interstate. Which eventually stops traffic entirely over the Platte River. :bang

• Fire 4

Two things...just pay it (had one myself once...the video evidence is damning and sure made me shake my head wondering what I was thinking)

And second...I got pulled over a month ago for going 70 in a 65...problem was I didn't see the sign change. Honest mistake. So to Mr. Perfect above...sometimes breaking the law is unconsious.

A co-worker got a ticket like that here on the left coast. She paid the $470 fine. :) Life costs more in paradise :D

That's if you consider paradise 60 million people all squeezed together in this Republik of .......no ....no .....wait ahhhhhhhh