Kyler Reed---named to the John Mackey Award Watch

Kyler Reed was hurt a lot, and Jamal Turner was stinking up the joint in practice.

I understand Reed was hurt some. Word I got is that he was in the dog house. As far as Turner is concerned, they need him on the field. He is a playmaker like we have not had in a long, long time. He is a "gamer". Somehow, I find it hard to believe that he could have played so well when they first put him on the field and then, all of a sudden, he isn't practicing well. Neither one of these cases passes the smell test. We lost some good kids because they saw the writing on the wall as far as their playing time goes. I would hate to have Turner leave. He can be a huge asset.

Kyler Reed was hurt a lot, and Jamal Turner was stinking up the joint in practice.

I understand Reed was hurt some. Word I got is that he was in the dog house. As far as Turner is concerned, they need him on the field. He is a playmaker like we have not had in a long, long time. He is a "gamer". Somehow, I find it hard to believe that he could have played so well when they first put him on the field and then, all of a sudden, he isn't practicing well. Neither one of these cases passes the smell test. We lost some good kids because they saw the writing on the wall as far as their playing time goes. I would hate to have Turner leave. He can be a huge asset.

Ah yes, the mysterious dog house again. Don't suppose you'd mind sharing where this word came from? Or why he was placed in said dog house?

Turner admitted he was sucking it up. Maybe he's lying to cover up his own dog house conspiracy, or maybe he just needed to step it up a bit.

Ah yes, the mysterious dog house again. Don't suppose you'd mind sharing where this word came from? Or why he was placed in said dog house?

Turner admitted he was sucking it up. Maybe he's lying to cover up his own dog house conspiracy, or maybe he just needed to step it up a bit.

Yes, I have a friend whose grandson is a student trainer at NU. Sometimes he works with the FB program but most time with other sports.

Yes, I have a friend whose grandson is a student trainer at NU. Sometimes he works with the FB program but most time with other sports.

Whatever the case, those two need to be on the field. It is as simple as that.

Why was Reed in the dog house?

Why was Reed in the dog house?

I have no idea!

I'm, shall we say, skeptical about the whole Reed in the doghouse thing.

What I do know is that Kyler is a receiving weapon that any coach would like to have on his team. If he makes the plays we've seen him make in the past, he can be a big part of the offense this year. And we need him to be. He demands attention. If we can have him slake off a LB or S, he can open holes for the running game. And, of course, he's faster than most of the defenders who will be assigned to him on passing plays. He is a home run threat, and we need those explosive plays out of him this year.

Reed wasn't "in the doghouse" last year, he was hurt.

After an ankle injury limited him in fall camp, Reed injured his left hamstring. It bothered him throughout the season. Trainers told him if he kept playing he wasn't going to feel any better until December.

"I knew that going in, and it was a struggle to not be able to go full speed," he said. "I just did what I could to help the team as much as I could."

When Ben Cotton went down with a shoulder injury against Penn State, Reed had no choice. Still, his role didn't change much in the two games Cotton missed as backups Jake Long and Kevin Thomsen saw more playing time in power formations.

LINK

I know "the doghouse" is a fun bit of folklore around here, but there are some legitimate injuries these guys suffer. This is a contact sport, after all.

He wasn't. Jamal was. If for any reason he was in the 'dog house' it is because he can't block...kind of a necessity at NU.

Yeah.

I also heard they like WRs who can remember what routes they're supposed to run too. Catching easy TD passes doesn't hurt either from what I've been told. When you "drop the ball" on all those things I guess you get into Bo's doghouse.