Husker Letter

Guest TripleOption

Guest TripleOption

Here's a copy of a letter that is being forward to Hukser fans. Fans who agree with the contents of the letter are being asked to forward copies to the UNL board of regents, president and chancellor, also to forward it on to other concerned Husker fans to do the same. It's already been talked about on an Omaha sports talk show, Big Sports 590, and posted on their website.

NEBRASKA FOOTBALL PROGRAM 11-6-05

ATHLETIC DEPT.:

The University of Nebraska football program is in dire straits. Something needs to be done immediately to rectify the situation. Fans, alumni, boosters, students and the players deserve action. The Athletic Director, Steve Pederson, with the backing of Chancellor Harvey Perlman, is directly responsible for the current situation. It is a situation that this great university should not be forced to suffer. At the very least, Mr. Pederson’s divisive actions have split Husker fans into various camps.

Steve Pederson should be removed from his position immediately. Mr. Pederson's decisions and actions have been detrimental to the university and its football program. A once-proud organization, Husker football is now relegated to being ridiculed and marginalized nationally due to Mr. Pederson's actions over the past two years, including:

* In reference to an article in the Lincoln Journal Star: Pederson was witnessed laughing during the home loss to Kansas State University in 2003. Mr. Pederson's celebratory actions during a Nebraska loss are intolerable, particularly in a public setting. Mr. Pederson was also quoted as stating that "this will never happen again". Yet he publicly denied anything about the coaching change at the time. Of course, Pederson fired the head football coach 2 weeks later.

* During the 40 day search for a replacement coach, in which Mr. Pederson was a one man search committee, he continually misled internal candidates Turner Gill and Bo Pelini. They eventually received token interviews. This came after national audiences watched an apparent bidding war for another Division 1-A head coach at the University of Arkansas. Pederson then publicly denied any offer was made even though the other party has stated otherwise.

* Mr. Pederson has failed to take any action against the current head coach, Bill Callahan, for his on-field actions. These actions include the infamous “F-ing Hillbilly” remark directed at fans of an opposing team and a throat slash gesture made toward an official during a game. Mr. Pederson did not reprimand coach Callahan on either count even though both merited a public apology and admittance by the coach.

* Mr. Pederson has also deceived the public with his football scheduling tactics. Prior to the 2005 football season, the University of Houston, along with ESPN, had an agreement to play a televised game with Nebraska. Mr. Pederson backed out of the apparent arrangement. This despite the fact that the Houston AD and ESPN stated it was a done deal. However, Mr. Pederson denied any deal. This issue in this situation was not legality, but honesty and integrity. At the very least, Pederson appeared to have lied about the situation. Eventually Maine was added to the schedule, as was Wake Forest. Mr. Pederson stated that Wake Forest was the replacement for the Houston game despite the dates not coinciding and the athletic directors from each school stating otherwise. If Pederson’s version of events was true, it appeared he had planned for Nebraska to play two opponents on the same weekend…in different cities!

* Fund raising is not going well since the removal of the previous coaching staff. According to a story in the Omaha World Herald, up to $30 million could be paid in additional interest expense because of the inability to raise enough money caused by Mr. Pederson. Now we have another university official, Boyd Epley, chastising the fans for not making contributions and Mr. Pederson does nothing. People from all over the country have apparently stopped supporting the football program. Fund raising will continue to struggle with Mr. Pederson in charge of the athletic department.

* Public perception of Nebraska is at an all time low. Sports commentators and media outlets nationwide have publicly ridiculed Nebraska since Mr. Pederson fired the previous coaching staff. Negative press is the norm and Mr. Pederson is responsible. Nebraska football has become a laughing stock due to Mr. Pederson's actions.

These are just a few examples of what Mr. Pederson has done to create the current situation at the University of Nebraska. This situation is not acceptable. Mr. Pederson has alienated many, many fans with his actions. Many fans, donors, and supporters may never come back until Mr. Pederson is removed from his position. The time is now. If Callahan is not able to turn the program around, we need an AD in place who has the credibility and ability to hire a capable head football coach.

COACHING:

The coaching situation is something else that needs to be looked at as well. Coach Bill Callahan has also done some things detrimental to the university:

* Following a loss at Oklahoma during the 2004 season, Bill Callahan directed an expletive towards the Oklahoma fans. Totally unacceptable.

* Following another loss to Oklahoma during the current season, Bill Callahan made a throat slashing gesture toward a game official. During multiple press conferences he denied anything, then later recanted and said it was a gesture of some sort. Again, totally unacceptable. Though he was publicly reprimanded by the Big 12, Bill Callahan never admitted or apologized for the making such a gesture, apologizing only for people perceiving it that way. Mr. Pederson did not reprimand Bill Callahan in any way.

* The on-field situation is glum at best. The team, two years in a row, has continually played worse as the season has gone along. The team is not prepared to play on game day and the coaching decisions on game day are extremely questionable. There is no progress being shown on the field. The coaching, or lack thereof, isn't helping the players improve.

* The coaching staff has not improved the football program in the two years they've been here. In fact they have taken the football program to all-time lows. A losing record for the first time in 40 years and no bowl game. The Huskers suffered the biggest loss in Husker history, 70-10, to Texas Tech last year and back to back home losses for the first time since 1968. A 36 game winning streak over the University of Kansas snapped, including giving up the most points ever to Kansas. A woeful 2-6 road record. Two separate 3-game losing streaks in two years. Perhaps worst of all, our million dollar coaches appear to blame the players for anything negative on the field.

Bill Callahan needs to make drastic changes in his staff and his approach to the college game. Failure to do so will keep Nebraska where it is at, the bottom of the Big 12. Should Bill Callahan not be willing to make the necessary changes to better the program, then he needs to be removed from his position and replaced with someone capable of bringing Nebraska back to the upper echelon of college football.

The University of Nebraska deserves nothing less than the best. Unfortunately, since the removal of the previous coaching staff, the football program has fallen to disgrace. Not so much because of on-field win-loss record, but because of its tarnished reputation as a program. This has occurred because of Athletic Director Steve Pederson. Only his removal will start to remedy the situation. Again, if Callahan does fail, we need an AD in place who would be able to conduct a legitimate coaching search.

In closing, this letter of concern is not originated or composed by one single fan, but rather by various fans, supporters, big money boosters, former Husker players and Husker faithful in general. People who lay down their hard earned money to enjoy a Saturday in the fall to take in one of the greatest atmospheres in college football and witness a product on the field that produces WINS, not losses. People who take time out of their lives to experience Cornhusker football and the HIGH MORAL standards of HONESTY, INTEGRITITY, LOYALTY and SPORTSMANSHIP that this fair state was once known and respected for nationally. Ideals of which the current Athletic Director and Head Football Coach have failed to live up to. This great university and it's supporters deserve so much better!

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Cordially,

Nebraska Cornhusker football fans everywhere

nothing we don't already know.......the intergirty of Callahan is just like his boss Pud.......they both lie so much they don't even believe it when accused......if nothing else we had pride and intergirty in the previous AD and coaches, and that said alot about our program......the battle over the incumbency of these 2 classless individuals is not over......only a brief respite was provided by Condon's foot...........

hunter

And I ask, if we fire Coach Callahan, who will want to come into a situation knowing their job may be on the line in just a year or two if they do not succeed?

Look at the last coaching search and realize this isn't the Nebraska of old and we are lucky to have who we do as coach. He is bringing in top talent everywhere.

To end this shortly, nobody gives two piles of flaming cow dung what you want, what any sportswriter, newscaster or radio talk show host want. Go ask those players who are pouring their heart out in the weight room and on the field what they want and who they believe in.

It severely p***es me off when fans act like they know the whole situation, when honestly, they don't know jack s***.

Let the coaches do their jobs, let the players do theirs. Quit interupting the task at hand with these mindless rants just two years after the guy was hired. All you're doing is adding fuel to the fire and making our university look that much worse. But wait, I thought you wanted that to end? Oh the irony.

the fans are not shaming the unviersity.......the damn AD and the coach are the ones who are bringing shame on the school.......DON'T YOU GET IT? they both constantly lie and discredit the institution......there actions and comments are unsportsman-like....ARE THESE THE TYPES YOU WANT RUNNING NU PROGRAMS? AT ANY COST? that is what the hell this guy is saying....go back and read it again! integrity, honesty, correct ettiquette.....oh wait, this is the 2000's......that doesn't mean sh#t anymore....i forgot! :wtf

hunter

Guest TripleOption

Considering that the letter is being endorsed and backed and contributed by a group of former Husker football players and a booster group, yeah I think there are people who give "two flaming piles of cow dung"! Those groups have a hell of alot more invested in the university than you do. The former players left their hearts, blood, sweat and tears to build and maintain a proud tradition of excellence, honesty and integrity that your boys Pedey & Cally have managed to destroy in less than 2 years. Yeah that's really something to be proud of isn't it?

Go ahead and spew and blow all you want, the opinions and thoughts of those players who are supporting the idea have tons more credibilty. The only thing making this great university look bad are those in charge of the football program!

What a Joke the prev. coaching staff was the reason that there was a need to change. FYI they just don't fire people, you kinda have to do something to earn getting fired. YOu think solich was so great where are his senior and junior players, you think we would have been able to run the quaterback keeper behind a line like this. Like I said what a joke.

Too many people are so use to success that when BC came in and laid an egg last year is not doing much better this year everyone is asking for his head. As frustrating as the past two years have been for me, I feel that things will start to happen for the better. Where are Solich's players you ask? They were/are the wrong players for the system. If I came to NU to run the option, why in the hell would I stay and run the WCO? I think it is pretty obvious.

Don't get me wrong BC did not make very good choices for his remarks and actions with OU the last two years. That is the way it goes....GET OVER IT!!!

I am willing to bet a lot of money that when the team was 4-0, there was not as many people asking for him to be fired. Now that they are struggling, it is easy for some of you to bash him and the program. You should be ashamed of yourselves and there is no way you can call yourself a true fan when you are jumping on and off of the wagon like you are trying to get your exercise for the week.

Be a fan and stick with the team during the good times and the bad!

it's things like this that make me question what the integrity of our fans. It is very easy to be a fan of a team when it is winning championships, but the true measure of a fan is this...Do you still support your team when they lose. I don't care if NU went 0-11. I would still give my cheer and support to the team. instead of trying to find things to boo and criticize like bandwagoners that get dissapointed when their team loses, maybe we should be patient and realize that we are the second youngest team in the country. IN THE COUNTRY!!! YOu people that are so fast to judge could never be a fan to any school with a losing record.. therefore you are not fans at all.

Sorry, that is just my opinion

it's things like this that make me question what the integrity of our fans. It is very easy to be a fan of a team when it is winning championships, but the true measure of a fan is this...Do you still support your team when they lose. I don't care if NU went 0-11. I would still give my cheer and support to the team. instead of trying to find things to boo and criticize like bandwagoners that get dissapointed when their team loses, maybe we should be patient and realize that we are the second youngest team in the country. IN THE COUNTRY!!! YOu people that are so fast to judge could never be a fan to any school with a losing record.. therefore you are not fans at all.

Sorry, that is just my opinion

Since when does supporting the team and the program have to equate to supporting those in charge?? If you consider yourself an American, do you have to believe everything that the President does??? IMO, those who question the President (if done so respectfully) are every bit as much of Americans as those who follow him in lock-step.

Bottom line, every single NU fans wants to see the program succeed and become great once again. Problem is that there is a faction that does not believe that those who are in charge have a vision, plan, and the integrity to return the program to that place. There are some that do.

Doesnt mean that you are any less of a fan. Maybe if you accept mediocrity, you are less of a fan??

Ironically enough, I almost appreciate the way things have gone for my Huskers the last couple of seasons. That may sound ridiculous, but I relish the chance to show my COMPLETE support at a time when they need it the most. Huskergriff had it exactly right, this should be the true measure of the fans. I don't like "humble pie" any more than the next guy, but I know in the long run it will only make us stronger. Nebraska was so used to stomping it's opponents that perhaps they (and the fans) forgot how it feels to NEED to be competitive. I hate having to wonder if there is going to be a bowl game at the end of the year, but I think it is really unfair to call for BC's head on a pike so soon. He's been bringing in some fantastic talent (who snagged Swift?) of late and I really think we need to give him a chance to cultivate it and see if he can turn it into a DIFFERENT, but not necessarily changed, tradition of power. Of course we all want our #1 ranking back, but we have to earn it first. Not only the players and coaches, but the fans as well. I definitely feel your pain, for it is mine as well, but please have some patience. Remember...

That which does not kill you, only makes you stronger.

And watch out you ugly shaggy cows, we're coming for you next. GBR!!!