New Big Ten Title Game ticket system

GSG

Big Ten unveils new title game ticket system

I've told this story before, but one of the funniest moments of last year's Big Ten title game weekend occurred when I got on an elevator full of fans wearing Ohio State and Nebraska gear. As the doors closed, both groups of fans looked at each other's shirts and commiserated about how they bought their tickets the previous summer and got stuck with them.

Well, the Big Ten has a new ticket system that should help fans reserve championship game tickets in advance without worrying about having to go to Indianapolis -- or dumping tickets and hotel room reservations -- if their team doesn't make it.

The reservation system, launched by the league in partnership with Forward Market Media and the Big Ten Network, allows fans to purchase "TeamTix" for as little as $10. If the team you specify makes the championship game, you are guaranteed a ticket to the game, priced at face value. If your team does not qualify, your “TeamTix” expires and you only lose the reservation fee. You can also trade your “TeamTix” in the Big Ten Forward Market, where prices could rise and fall during the season, depending on how teams are playing.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/53852/big-ten-unveils-new-title-game-ticket-system

If the $10 goes towards the ticket price, I don't really have a problem with it. It might irritate people who want to pay face value for tix, but if you don't participate in this, you run the risk of having to pay a whole lot more than $10 through ticket brokers...just depends on demand.

If the $10 goes towards the ticket price, I don't really have a problem with it. It might irritate people who want to pay face value for tix, but if you don't participate in this, you run the risk of having to pay a whole lot more than $10 through ticket brokers...just depends on demand.

I think that if you fork over the 10 to reserve a ticket and your team doesn't make it the company should just refund your 10 because it's not like they actually lost money. Plus whatever they refund to the fans of the teams not making it...it will be more than off-set by fans buying tickets from the teams that did make it. Just seems that keeping that 10 bucks is overtly greedy and unnecessary.

I think that if you fork over the 10 to reserve a ticket and your team doesn't make it the company should just refund your 10 because it's not like they actually lost money. Plus whatever they refund to the fans of the teams not making it...it will be more than off-set by fans buying tickets from the teams that did make it. Just seems that keeping that 10 bucks is overtly greedy and unnecessary.

That's not how insurance works, which this essentially is. If you got your money back if your team didn't make it, every fan would have a risk-free opportunity to get face value tickets. Financial option pricing rule number 1, arbitrage must not be possible. If you want something risk-free, you're going to have to pay for it.