2012 Summer Olympics - London Games

knapplc

I do think I have addressed serious holes in the arguments as to "the manner of her winning" being suspicious. I would be interested in hearing more counter-arguments on that side of things.

I think there are no more serious holes in the theory of her doping than this fact - there is no proof. Without proof, speculation is just idle chatter. So no matter how many stats anyone trots out here, until she is proven to have cheated, she did not. The speculation, as long as it is not racist or mean-spirited, is natural. But without proof, she remains what she is: An incredibly fast swimmer wearing a gold medal (actually, more than one gold).

From another American, a competitor:

"We need to get real," International Olympic Committee spokesman Mark Adams said Tuesday. "These are the world's best athletes. The first five athletes (who place in competitions) are tested. We have a very strong drug testing program. If there are cheats, we will catch them. … We can't stop speculation. It is a sad result that there are people who dope and cheat. It is equally sad if we can't applaud a great performance."

The women Ye beat to win gold have given her plenty of applause.

"I'd like to congratulate Ye because she's having just an awesome meet so far and let people know it's a tremendous accomplishment," said bronze medalist Caitlin Leverenz of the USA. "She's proven that it is possible (for a female to top male times). It's easy for people to point fingers, but you can just as easily point fingers at any of the other amazing races we've had so far. It's not my place to point fingers at anyone's performance."

LINK

Updated totals:

USA: Gold 39, Silver 25, Bronze 26, Total 90

China: Gold 37, Silver 24, Bronze 19, Total 80

RUS: Gold 12, Silver 21, Bronze 23, Total 56

GBR: Gold 25, Silver 13, Bronze 14, Total 52

GER: Gold 10, Silver 16, Bronze 11, Total 37

Jordan Burroughs wins his first-round match easily on points. On to the next round.

EDIT - Burroughs won his second match, a narrow win in the quarterfinals, and now heads on to the semifinals.

Does it seem weird to anyone else that they do these wrestling matches so close together? Have they always done it that way?

Jordan Burroughs wins his first-round match easily on points. On to the next round.

EDIT - Burroughs won his second match, a narrow win in the quarterfinals, and now heads on to the semifinals.

Does it seem weird to anyone else that they do these wrestling matches so close together? Have they always done it that way?

Yes, it does. He just got done with one round, then almost immediately it seems he's wrestling again. Barely time to catch your breath.

I wouldn't say "offended." I might have rolled my eyes a little bit.

It's not a lot different than the guys who win major professional championships. They believe they're pretty hot stuff. There are, on every championship team, people who fully believe they deserved to win.

They're no flashier, or offensive, than have the hyper-promotional stuff that gets handed to professional athletes who have just won a championship, or even winners of the BCS Championship or March Madness. Tacky? Absolutely. But not worth the tweets that were included in that yahoo article or the article itself. Much ado about nothing, or at least very little, as it were.

I guess the big deal is that no one can remember something like this happening before at the Olympics. Personally, if you've been that dominant in your sport, I think you're allowed to flaunt it. In fact, I'd be a little disappointed if you didn't.