Beck

np_husker

H.B. Showed great poise by coming back after the int and taking the hit on the game winning drive. Zac should start if he is able to go and Beck should be ready to go if needed. I agree that he should get some reps now that he has used up the red shirt, but this is Zac's team and Beck needs to earn his starting position like Zac did. I do think our future looks bright with the QB's we have and what we have coming in.

GO BIG RED!!!!!

I'm just tossing this out there for conversation, but how many of you would like to see Beck start vs CU? The redshirt is gone, so why not? We're now going to a bowl game, so why not give Beck the start. It would be nice to get him some experience.

No, if Taylor can play, he should, but I wouldn't mind a series or two and if, *gasp* we have a lead give him the reins.

I'm just tossing this out there for conversation, but how many of you would like to see Beck start vs CU?  The redshirt is gone, so why not?  We're now going to a bowl game, so why not give Beck the start.  It would be nice to get him some experience.

No, if Taylor can play, he should, but I wouldn't mind a series or two and if, *gasp* we have a lead give him the reins.

:yeah

Good call Kramer....I think BC needs to stick with Taylor since he has been through some tough times already. I do think that Beck should a couple of series each quarter so he gets some experience at different aspects of the game (i.e. not just a blow out either way). Anyone can look like an All-Star when the game is no longer in reach and no one really cares.

DaveH is right.

Also, burning the HB redshirt accomplished the following:

1) bowl eligibility (likely we won't beat CU) for fans,

2) a chance for a winning season with the bowl; jump start for returning players; great send off for seniors,

3) exposure in the bowl for recruiting,

4) better opportunity for contributors who will more likely fund the new additions.

:yeah

The redshirt is gone, the bowl is a given. Winning or losing I think Beck should get some "realtime" reps against CU.

Heck, he may pull a few surprises for us!

Besides, I'd like to see the kid in action on national tv. Might also show something to the kids around the nation weighing on whether or not to play/sign for NU.

You know, a lot of our "stars" are Freshmen.

I am with you guys on this one. :thumbs

Beck Will Be On The Bench Unless Circumstances "Dictate" Otherwise

By JOE BONGE / Daily Nebraskan

November 17, 2005

Jay Norvell won’t make things too complicated.

Harrison Beck. File photo.

The second-year offensive coordinator fortified Wednesday the position he has taken since Harrison Beck arrived in fall camp. Beck will play – but on one condition. The situation must “dictate it.”

“Right now, Zac (Taylor)’s our No. 1 quarterback,” Norvell said. “He’s proven that all year. The guys have a lot of confidence in him, and I think our guys have confidence in Harrison.”

Since Beck arrived in fall camp, Norvell and the rest of the NU coaching staff have faced questions about when the right time to play Beck would be.

Saturday, they finally gave a straight answer.

Zac Taylor. File photo.

Beck, a true freshman, replaced Taylor after he went down with a head injury in the fourth quarter of Nebraska’s 27-25 win over Kansas State on Saturday.

Before that, Taylor had taken every snap under center in Nebraska’s 10 games.

Beck led NU on a 7-play 55-yard drive while down 25-24 to the Wildcats that ended with a 40-yard field goal with just over a minute left to play.

The first game of Beck’s career wasn’t anything to write home about though.

Beck went just 1-for-6 for 21 yards and threw one costly interception that led to a KSU field goal.

Despite losing the possibility to redshirt this season by playing Saturday, Beck said the most important thing is getting a win.

“If they put me in then I’ll go in there and do my thing,” Beck said. “But obviously, Zac’s our guy. He’s going to go in there and compete and hopefully, we’ll win the football game.”

Beck arrived in Lincoln as one of – if not the most – highly touted recruits in school history.

After Beck didn’t see any action in NU’s first nine games, many thought the coaches would hold him out for a redshirt season.

Those possibilities were thrown out after Beck’s role in the Kansas State game.

The decision to play Beck has been game-to-game, Norvell said.

“There’s only one guy that can play,” Norvell said. “You can’t use the games as a practice situation, so we use practice as a practice situation. He’s a young guy who needs to play and I wish we could play him more. We just don’t have that luxury.”

Taylor has had an up-and-down season, although he is now the leading single-season passer in NU history with 2,094 yards.

The junior has struggled at times though, throwing for less than 200 yards in five games.

Despite the waves surrounding Beck and Taylor’s playing time, Taylor said the two maintain a healthy relationship.

“It’s very good,” Taylor said. “We hang out all the time. We’re together with football every second we’re here. It’s tough to put up with him, but I have to do it every now and then.”

While he may not be getting the majority of reps in practice and he might not see any more playing time in 2005, Beck said improvement is his biggest goal.

And as Taylor gears up to lead the Cornhuskers against Colorado, improvement is about the only thing Beck can do.

“(Taylor) helps me with everything,” Beck said. “If I have a question, he’s there to answer it for me. It’s really good for him to be here this year to help us to win games. But not only that, to be here to help me and (freshman quarterback) Joe (Ganz) with some of the small things that we may not know yet that he may pick up the first time.”