Lazik Eye Surgery prices

I've been wanting to get lasik surgery for a long time now. Finally finished school, paid for the wedding, got a house, I finally feel comfortable putting down the dough on getting my eyes fixed.

Had my consult appointment which was super thorough, which is good.

Then they hit me with the price, 2250.00 per eye. $4,500 total cost.

WOW, I didn't think it was THAT expensive, but no one tells you that on their website.

I want to know WHO has had this lasik surgery, is this a good price? If not, where should I go?

If you feel comfortable, I'd like to know what generally costs you, if yours was less. I was really expecting something around 3200-3500 total cost.

Thanks Guys!

Stu

I know I guy who will do it for $900 per eye. "Crazy Hands" Eddie. He used to run the jackhammer for the construction company I worked for in the late 90s. PM me. I'll hook you up.

I hear his price went down since he got parkinson's.

I've heard ads for much cheaper than I had done 10+ years ago (~ $3500, I think) but from a quick google I read about "wavefront" technology that sounds a lot safer (and more expensive), and $4K-4500 doesn't look out of line. Maybe shop around but make sure you are looking at the same kind of Lasik. If you really want to go cheaper, just know what you are getting with old technology, and for sure make sure if they are charging that much it really is for the best method. My vision is very functional but not 20/20 and I sometimes wear glasses when driving at night, especially in an unfamiliar place, and oncoming lights can bother me. I love life mostly without glasses or contacts (I need reading glasses but that's lens aging and nothing to do with Lasik). If I was doing it now, I'd first do a lot more research on my own, but I suspect I'd go with the most current method and pay extra.

If you haven't done so, set up a flexible spending account (FSA) if you can to get a tax break on it.

After some more searching around, I found that 4500 for both is about right.

The place I went to does it all with lazers, including the eye flap, no cutting with a blade what so ever, this is the safest and most reliable eye surgery available with less complications.

I guess you get what you pay for, new tech = more expense.

VA Husker Fan - Just started a new job with health benefits, don't have any FSA saved up yet, but it's a good idea for anyone else who is looking and has saved up.

I got it done ~8yrs ago...my work insurance plan cut 20% off the price. Dr. John Liu from Omaha Eye and Laser did mine. I've had a few friends/family do the same and would recommend them. The only issue I have is some halos while night driving.

It's amazing to me that you can show up with cash in hand and be charged a higher price than people using insurance reimbursement. Insurance companies have completely screwed up the economics of the medical industry.

I really want to get this done.. but wedding and student loans will push this back 3-5 years.

I think 4,500 is a normal number. I have a huge phobia with my eyes, so it makes me nervous but i want to get it done.

My wedding and loans made me wait also.

Just some info, they do have 0% payment options.

I'm going with 18 months, which will be $239 a month. I've paid off my car, bike, only have mortgage and student loan left for debt, so it finally fits me financially.

Got it scheduled for next wednesday, have to wear glasses for 5 days prior, get some prescription eyedrops and I should be good to go.

Minn Husker, you wouldn't be the first who doesn't want his eye cut open. I hear there is no pain, just some discomfort. I'll report after I have it done. I'm really looking forward to it. Been waiting 10 years for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys i had it done yesterday around 1.

Painless my a$$. they have to suction your eye, get it to pop out a bit prior to the lazers. "Ok now you shouldn't feel a thing here..." *schlick* I then let out an F bomb with my outdoor voice as my left leg shot up. Surprised the heck out of the doctor. He said "you felt that?" Damn right I felt that! Felt like someone grabbed my eye with a needle nose and gave it a little twist. In goes about a dozen more numbing drops and it was much better.

Lazer part was cake. I could smell by eye burning, creepy but didn't feel a thing.

Whole thing was probably 15 minutes for both eyes.

So i get home, and my eyes get really sore, I can barely open them, agony. I'm tearing through the medicine cabinet searching for nyquil, which sucks cuz it's dark, and i'm wearing sunglasses, at this point light is my enemy. Finally find the triangle shaped bottle and take three swallows.

I pass out for around 6 hours and wake up feeling MUCH better. Dry eyes, i can see great but it's hazy, i compare it to wearing really dry contacts.

Follow up was at 8 today, I now have 20/15 vision, better than i ever had with glasses or contacts. Haze is slowly decreasing, taking a lot of eyedrops. light is ok now.

In a couple months everything should be clear, no more star bursts at night or haze.

All in all, it's pretty sweet not having to wear contacts, and getting to wake up to sharp vision is new and fantastic.